Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Houston worth two first round picks but Bailey Smuth only worth a late first from the Cats. Seems fair.
They aren't remotely comparable though.

One is under contract long term and a current All Australian who is replicating that form.

The other is out of contract, coming off an ACL with a variety of off-field issues with no recent form.
No they aren't comparable. Bailey Smith is 23 while Houston is 27. So Smith has roughly twice the remaining peak playing career that Houston has.

Smith is also marketing gold. Pretty sure Houston is not.

Wherever they end up I reckon Bailey Smith is a good chance to have Houston covered for salary (and that's before the under the counter deals).

I admire Sam Power but I think we tend to get the rough end of the deal on some of our trades so I'll be watching how he manages the Bailey Smith departure. If we only get pick 13 (or equivalent) I'll be pretty disappointed.

They aren't remotely comparable though.

One is under contract long term and a current All Australian who is replicating that form.

The other is out of contract, coming off an ACL with a variety of off-field issues with no recent form.
One is a 23 years old, explosive forward-half player entering his peak.

The other is a 27 year old half-back flanker.

If we get a mid teens first rounder for Baz, we would've been fleeced.

Tim Taranto netted the Giants 2 x first round picks. That's what we should be asking for.

Last edited:

You'd be lucky to get one second round pick for Macrae and a third round pick for Daniel. I wouldn't be shopping them around but if they wanted to leave for more game time I'd happily facilitate it given the contribution they've made to the club.
Could someone please explain to me how McRae,who is currently playing good football out of position is only worth a second round pick but barass and Houston and baker are worth first round picks

Could someone please explain to me how McRae,who is currently playing good football out of position is only worth a second round pick but barass and Houston and baker are worth first round picks
Like anything in the world price is dictated by what people are willing to pay.
Also every supporter base on big footy extremely over exaggerates the worth of their player.
Baker I think goes for a late first and I'd say Barrass would be worth a mid teens pick or equivalent aswell.
Houston is different as port aren't pushing him out in an attempted rebuild and Melbourne are desperate to not slide down the ladder. No club other then Melbourne would offer the 2 firsts for him that it'd take for port to let him go.

Like anything in the world price is dictated by what people are willing to pay.
Also every supporter base on big footy extremely over exaggerates the worth of their player.
Baker I think goes for a late first and I'd say Barrass would be worth a mid teens pick or equivalent aswell.
Houston is different as port aren't pushing him out in an attempted rebuild and Melbourne are desperate to not slide down the ladder. No club other then Melbourne would offer the 2 firsts for him that it'd take for port to let him go.

I know the details are quite different, but I’m getting flashbacks to us pushing Stringer out with the Barrass situation. There’s no way they’re getting more than a mid first for him when there’s no serious prospect of him staying if it gets to that point and they haven’t met his contract demands. Their supporters that think otherwise will be sadly disappointed.

heck

I think we need hawthorn to come and save us from ourselves here.

We have JOD, Buss and Croft as a succession plan for Jones and Lobb.

I imagine that any offers we made for Barrass were before Lobb's form in defence.

I think Lobb changes the equation significantly.

Last edited:
heck

I imagine that any offers we made for Barrass were before Lobb's form in defence.

Were hawks linked before Lobb hit form? Could be coincidence with the timing but our interest may have cooled

Were hawks linked before Lobb hit form? Could be coincidence with the timing but our interest may have cooled
No they weren't. The interest from Hawks has come very recently, it is believed due to a belief they've missed out on B.Smith meaning they now have draft picks to splash around.

heck

It's not like we couldn't roll Naughton or Darcy back if we got desperate for injury cover for a week or two either.

Barrass is playing good football. The cost + risk is massive though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went and watched Barrass v the Saints. He looked really good when the ball was in the air but a bit proppy or hesitant in contested ground ball situations, like he wasn’t trying to fully bend down or something. Hopefully I’m just seeing something that isn’t there if we end up with him.

I know the details are quite different, but I’m getting flashbacks to us pushing Stringer out with the Barrass situation. There’s no way they’re getting more than a mid first for him when there’s no serious prospect of him staying if it gets to that point and they haven’t met his contract demands. Their supporters that think otherwise will be sadly disappointed.

From reading comments on different platforms, the general expectation from them is 2 first rounders. 1 plus maybe steak knives and something going back the other way would probably be fair for his age

heck

It's not just Lobb either.

6 weeks ago Barrass made all the sense in the world.

Since then Lobb has been a revelation, Khamis has looked more accomplished than ever before, Coffield has strung together games with confidence building and Buss has re-signed.

That is a lot of pluses in our tall back department in a short period, which must affect what we are prepared to expend to get a Barrass.

From reading comments on different platforms, the general expectation from them is 2 first rounders. 1 plus maybe steak knives and something going back the other way would probably be fair for his age

If the Eagles manage to get anything on top of a first rounder their supporters should be happy. He’ll only be available if they’ve decided they’d rather let him walk than honour their handshake agreement to up his salary. So they won’t be in a position to demand huge overs in a trade, because him staying on his existing deal won’t be realistic at that point.

The Eagles will understand that the market for him currently is the Hawks or Cats first and maybe some shuffling around later in the draft. If they don’t like that prospect then they’ll renegotiate his deal and repair things to keep him.

Cody seems to have all the attributes of a wing. We had one gun mid hidden in the backline, I wonder if we have another in the forward line? His role seems to be supporting center bounces lately from the forward line, which I guess will continue for this season.

Of course we will miss him up forward, but I wonder how the team would benefit if he was picking up 25 possessions thru the midfield instead of 12 up forward? Id still back him to kick a goal per game from the wing.

Could we then play sonny in the role we are playing weightman? seems to have no aerial presence at all, but he is good at ground level and in heavy traffic.
Flea has the fwd craft of a tall fwd, not a small fwd, he should be crumbing off Marra/Astro/Darcy.
If Flea has the tank to be a winger, this would open up the fwd line and let westy be the pressure fwd, with a Clarke or Arty when ready.
We need a winger to be able to delivery a ball in the best possible position for the fwds to lead and effectively kick goals.

Flea has the fwd craft of a tall fwd, not a small fwd, he should be crumbing off Marra/Astro/Darcy.
If Flea has the tank to be a winger, this would open up the fwd line and let westy be the pressure fwd, with a Clarke or Arty when ready.
We need a winger to be able to delivery a ball in the best possible position for the fwds to lead and effectively kick goals.

exactly - forwards kick to other forwards very well, cos they know. A winger that is also a great mark is fantastic as well.

Have been told today that the Dogs are looking at bringing over Nathan O'Driscoll. Wouldn't cost alot given his injury history, likely a Future 3rd.
Hope we get Emma as well
She is a jet

Have been told today that the Dogs are looking at bringing over Nathan O'Driscoll. Wouldn't cost alot given his injury history, likely a Future 3rd.

That would be a good get for us. Might be able to dislodge VDM at half forward and offer us a bit more polish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back