Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be a good get for us. Might be able to dislodge VDM at half forward and offer us a bit more polish.
He's had moderate form with Peel Thunder this season. Has only played 4 games for them which suggests he's had injuries along the way. His goal kicking highlights on Youtube are impressive but he would come with some risk I'd say. Maybe a change of scenery could re-ignite his career.

He's had moderate form with Peel Thunder this season. Has only played 4 games for them which suggests he's had injuries along the way. His goal kicking highlights on Youtube are impressive but he would come with some risk I'd say. Maybe a change of scenery could re-ignite his career.
Deffinetly missed alot of football. He is very much like Coffield last off season in that he won't cost much and has potential to be a key piece but may also never get his body right. It's doesn't hurt to have a few of these guys on the list but you definitely don't want to go to heavy on guys that'll load up your rehab group.

Flea has the fwd craft of a tall fwd, not a small fwd, he should be crumbing off Marra/Astro/Darcy.
If Flea has the tank to be a winger, this would open up the fwd line and let westy be the pressure fwd, with a Clarke or Arty when ready.
We need a winger to be able to delivery a ball in the best possible position for the fwds to lead and effectively kick goals.
I'm sure Weightman would succeed almost anywhere because he's just a natural footballer. (Well OK maybe not as a tap ruckman.)

However it's very hard to get anyone playing the small forward role as effectively as he does. His pressure is good and he's kicking at close to 2 goals a game (1.87 last two years). You'd be hard pressed to find many medium/small players who do that. Brad Johnson in his peak goal scoring years late in his career (2005-09) managed about 2.25 but he was close to the best in the league at that role. That's elite, and Cody's getting there. He averages 2gls/game this year.

I don't buy the argument that he plays as a tall. He seems to have (mostly) stopped competing for marks with the KPFs. That doesn't mean he won't take the odd speccy, just like Charlie Cameron or Pickett do. And most of us remember Matty Robbins. It's a great asset to have that ability as a small forward. He can be a marking threat, a lead-up target or a crumber. His game also means we have a variety of threats up forward. If we only depended on the talls we'd be much easier to defend against. People may overlook it but he does crumb goals. He's also continuing to learn the role of a small forward so IMO will only get better there.

I'd rather go chasing some other wing player. We might already have one ready made in Freijah. We already seem to have a surfeit of HBFs so Freijah doesn't have to stay in defence. And we have some others who might make or resurrect their career at half back (eg Arty, Gags).

I'm all for keeping Cody right where he is.

1721979048612.jpeg
Matty Robbins doing what he used to do.

It's not just Lobb either.

6 weeks ago Barrass made all the sense in the world.

Since then Lobb has been a revelation, Khamis has looked more accomplished than ever before, Coffield has strung together games with confidence building and Buss has re-signed.

That is a lot of pluses in our tall back department in a short period, which must affect what we are prepared to expend to get a Barrass.

I would not bank on Lobb being there next year. If he has instructed his manager to explore options for next year, a handful of games in defence are unlikely to be sufficient to have him instructing otherwise.

If anything his form would only be encouraging any potential suitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure Weightman would succeed almost anywhere because he's just a natural footballer. (Well OK maybe not as a tap ruckman.)

However it's very hard to get anyone playing the small forward role as effectively as he does. His pressure is good and he's kicking at close to 2 goals a game (1.87 last two years). You'd be hard pressed to find many medium/small players who do that. Brad Johnson in his peak goal scoring years late in his career (2005-09) managed about 2.25 but he was close to the best in the league at that role. That's elite, and Cody's getting there. He averages 2gls/game this year.

I don't buy the argument that he plays as a tall. He seems to have (mostly) stopped competing for marks with the KPFs. That doesn't mean he won't take the odd speccy, just like Charlie Cameron or Pickett do. And most of us remember Matty Robbins. It's a great asset to have that ability as a small forward. He can be a marking threat, a lead-up target or a crumber. His game also means we have a variety of threats up forward. If we only depended on the talls we'd be much easier to defend against. People may overlook it but he does crumb goals. He's also continuing to learn the role of a small forward so IMO will only get better there.

I'd rather go chasing some other wing player. We might already have one ready made in Freijah. We already seem to have a surfeit of HBFs so Freijah doesn't have to stay in defence. And we have some others who might make or resurrect their career at half back (eg Arty, Gags).

I'm all for keeping Cody right where he is.

View attachment 2059357
Matty Robbins doing what he used to do.
Weightman had the cleanest skills in those dreadful conditions in Geelong.. wouldn’t surprise me if he he gets moved into the midfield eventually

I would not bank on Lobb being there next year. If he has instructed his manager to explore options for next year, a handful of games in defence are unlikely to be sufficient to have him instructing otherwise.

In my view he’s more likely than unlikely to be at the dogs next year. Things have changed significantly since he asked his manager to explore his options.
He said it himself that he just wants to play senior footy. Now that he may have found his place in the side and performing well why would he want to leave?

Are there any examples of small/mid forwards turning into a genuine midfielder? Stringer runs through occasionally.... who else? Im not talking average players. Cody is a very good forward.

Come to think of it Dahlhaus was our deadlocked shining light in the darkness goalkicker in the early days before moving into midfield

Last edited:
In my view he’s more likely than unlikely to be at the dogs next year. Things have changed significantly since he asked his manager to explore his options.
He said it himself that he just wants to play senior footy. Now that he may have found his place in the side and performing well why would he want to leave?

Agreed. Just a 31yo who knew he was playing seconds unless Naughton, Ugle-Hagan and Darcy were out. He only has a finite time left in the league and wants to play AFL footy. I’m confident he’ll stay now that he is playing firsts and he seems quite happy as a defender.

The Lobb wanting a trade news came out at a weird time. Was just after Naughton got injured and he was about to be recalled. I guess it was just before the midseason draft and it might be a reminder to teams to not pick up forward/ruck prospects in the draft because he was going to be available at the end of season.

Sends a pretty poor message to the bloke whose place he takes in the GF too. If you knew for sure he was the difference between winning the GF and losing it you'd do it for sure. But after a year out he could be very rusty, deliver less than the bloke he replaces and in doing so we'd alienate one of our up and comers like Sanders or Garcia.

Even more so if he hasn’t committed

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even more so if he hasn’t committed
Yes that was my point. B Smith says I'm leaving but takes the place of a youngster who thought he was in line for his first GF and maybe even a premiership medallion.

It would be very pissedoffsome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there any examples of small/mid forwards turning into a genuine midfielder? Stringer runs through occasionally.... who else? Im not talking average players. Cody is a very good forward.

Come to think of it Dahlhaus was our deadlocked shining light in the darkness goalkicker in the early days before moving into midfield
Petracca.

Feel like most of those examples were midfielders in the draft process who started their AFL journeys as forwards but were always likely to be midfielders but just took a little while to get there.

Rankine is one I’m thinking of who was a forward but becoming more of a midfielder this season. Shai Bolton another one. Rozee sort of, think he played more as a half back/half forward as an underager.

Agreed. Just a 31yo who knew he was playing seconds unless Naughton, Ugle-Hagan and Darcy were out. He only has a finite time left in the league and wants to play AFL footy. I’m confident he’ll stay now that he is playing firsts and he seems quite happy as a defender.

The Lobb wanting a trade news came out at a weird time. Was just after Naughton got injured and he was about to be recalled. I guess it was just before the midseason draft and it might be a reminder to teams to not pick up forward/ruck prospects in the draft because he was going to be available at the end of season.

All depends on whether he genuinely put himself on the market. Once that cat is out of the bag, parties involved start including the potential of him moving into calculations even if he might be happy at the moment. He would also be thinking past this year. Does he push Jones out if there is a squeeze (unlikely) and how long does he hold out Buss and Croft. And what I f Barass does head our way. He could easily find himself playing VFL again next year facing the same issue of being down the pecking order.

Is he valuable to the Dogs, absolutely how many players can be genuinely considered a viable option at both ends plus able to ruck (he is currently next in line after English for the main gig this year and likely next year if he stays). Given the choice I would keep him but he has shown throughout his career that he will look out for himself first (as it should be) if a club came guaranteeing an extra year he would jump at it, even more so if he gets promised to play his preferred position.

Dunkley ;)

He is contracted though. His form down back makes it almost a certainty he stays because why would we trade him.

Also it’s been reported he only wanted to be traded because he wasn’t playing.

Nathan O’Driscoll would be a good cheap get. I liked him in his draft year as a fast and aggro winger, and it’d make sense for him to come and be with his brother.

Would be very happy with this. Has talent and is still only 22.
Could wear Aidens #37.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just think that those with the capacity to excel in the midfield should play in the midfield. Thats where they have most opportunity to influence the game.

Not saying Cody has the ability, but it would be interesting to find out.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back