Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the best Mad Monday of all time and will probably never be beaten. I hate Geelong but this was brilliant.
They do have great Mad Mondays. Scarlett shaving his head to become KB an all time favourite.

1722474897740.png

Essendon would offer Butters a million a year. Doubt we would be able to compete in a bidding war
Yeah, but we can counter that with the redeveloped Whiten Oval.

We installed extra spongy floors for this exact eventuality.

Essendon for all their money have old flooring.

Can't see it happening but if it did it'd take more then 2 firsts. Would probably be something like Geelongs First via Smith and dogs 25 and 26 first.
I’m hearing from my sources that Butters has fallen out with Hinkley and we threw the game in Adelaide a few weeks back to ensure he would survive as coach and make it easier to recruit Butters.

Make of that what you will.

With Wing role being a major target for Dogs

(don't see it happening)
Mason Wood would be ideal for that role, uncontracted so far and has the size to play a loose defender role in that midfield

(don't see it happening)
Mason Wood would be ideal for that role, uncontracted so far and has the size to play a loose defender role in that midfield
He’s turned into a good player but too old for me. I don’t think we should be recruiting 31 year olds.

I’m also concerned about the opportunity cost. Barrass is a gun no doubt, but he just adds to the logjam in front of Buss, who I want to see given an opportunity to develop at AFL level. Who knows what output he might be capable of in another 12 months?

There are too many red flags that could handicap up for ~5ish years to bring in a guy who doesn’t fill an urgent position of need:
  • length of contract with potential back issue and age
  • high trade asset required
  • high salary required
  • continues trend of investing 1st rounders on KPP
  • opportunity cost of playing in front of kids
I hope Busslinger has a great career at the Dogs, we showed faith by re-signing him, and I'm hopeful for his future, but it would be ridiculous to not recruit a player that would slot instantly in our best 22 and we would have an expectation to finish in the top 10 in our best and fairest because of the "opportunity" we want to give to a player who is in their 2nd year, yet to debut at AFL level and we did not select when there was opportunity to through injuries earlier in the year.

I don't disagree with the first four dot points or the general discussion with Barrass as a player but I'm perplexed at the idea that a player with 0 AFL games as it stands now is some sort of guarantee to be a valuable contributor at AFL level in the future (when there's a very reasonable chance he won't be) and that should be the reason we don't aim to improve the team now.

(don't see it happening)
I still think Freijah becomes a wing in time but a mature stop gap should be in our thinking. I've mentioned Langdon but it looks like he'll sign. Wood would be excellent for us
Poulter does have some improvement left in him too

I hope Busslinger has a great career at the Dogs, we showed faith by re-signing him, and I'm hopeful for his future, but it would be ridiculous to not recruit a player that would slot instantly in our best 22 and we would have an expectation to finish in the top 10 in our best and fairest because of the "opportunity" we want to give to a player who is in their 2nd year, yet to debut at AFL level and we did not select when there was opportunity to through injuries earlier in the year.

I don't disagree with the first four dot points or the general discussion with Barrass as a player but I'm perplexed at the idea that a player with 0 AFL games as it stands now is some sort of guarantee to be a valuable contributor at AFL level in the future (when there's a very reasonable chance he won't be) and that should be the reason we don't aim to improve the team now.
It’s a reasonably valid concern. If you recruit Barrass, him and Jones are probably the guaranteed two selection at KPD. Lobb might be able to be squeezed in there too.

You then have Khamis, Buss & JOD fighting it out for a possible 3rd tall role. All three likely need to be playing a decent amount of AFL footy next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a reasonably valid concern. If you recruit Barrass, him and Jones are probably the guaranteed two selection at KPD. Lobb might be able to be squeezed in there too.

You then have Khamis, Buss & JOD fighting it out for a possible 3rd tall role. All three likely need to be playing a decent amount of AFL footy next season.

If we traded for Barrass we’d have to let Lobb go. He’d be in exactly the same position he was when Darcy took his spot.

If we traded for Barrass we’d have to let Lobb go. He’d be in exactly the same position he was when Darcy took his spot.
In that case, I’d definitely prefer to keep Lobb at 60% of Barrass’ salary plus the first rounder (& more) that we’d have to pay up. Lobb would probably net us a second rounder in his current form.

Take the ‘saving’ and bump up Smith’s contract by $100k to try and keep him.

In that case, I’d definitely prefer to keep Lobb at 60% of Barrass’ salary plus the first rounder (& more) that we’d have to pay up. Lobb would probably net us a second rounder in his current form.

We’ve got at least four more weeks to see how Lobb goes and if in the end he strings other a solid 10+ games at CHB that’s enough for me to be happy to bypass a heavy investment in Barrass. Use the first elsewhere.

Why is Smith set on leaving anyway? is it only $$$?

Is he on the outer with the other players and wants to reset with another group?

If I had to guess:
  • maybe fallen out with Bevo and some teammates
  • wants to be a big fish (he won't be with us for a while yet but may be at Geelong or Hawks)
  • marketing. Big club = more clicks and views on Instagram for his promotions.
  • wants to be a full time midfielder
  • longer contract and more money per year

That's the position of quite a number of us.
What's to say if we do get an early pick this year they will contribute next year?
Sanders and Freijah area ahead of expectations already. There's often one kid who does expectation.

Nobody would have picked Gags to play the first 12 games or so this year either.

If I had to guess:
  • maybe fallen out with Bevo and some teammates
  • wants to be a big fish (he won't be with us for a while yet but may be at Geelong or Hawks)
  • marketing. Big club = more clicks and views on Instagram for his promotions.
  • wants to be a full time midfielder
  • longer contract and more money per year
If I had to guess:

He's leaving because the media says he's leaving, and they need to have a story line.

It may be true, but I've never seen or heard any concrete evidence.

The social media "Smith-to-wherever" has led to "everyone knows he's definitely leaving".

Therefore, it must be a fact.

I mean, isn't this where all facts come from these days?

If I had to guess:

He's leaving because the media says he's leaving, and they need to have a story line.

It may be true, but I've never seen or heard any concrete evidence.

The social media "Smith-to-wherever" has led to "everyone knows he's definitely leaving".

Therefore, it must be a fact.

I mean, isn't this where all facts come from these days?

Agree to a large extent but in relation to Baz sometimes it is what you have not heard and seen that indicates more than what has been seen and heard.

The fact he has not signed I don't think bodes well IMO. Fact he has not signed speaks more.

Agree to a large extent but in relation to Baz sometimes it is what you have not heard and seen that indicates more than what has been seen and heard.

The fact he has not signed I don't think bodes well IMO. Fact he has not signed speaks more.
Yeah, perhaps.

It's still just an inference, though, isn't it?

Fact is, none of us really knows at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back