Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like Rory is now more likely to stay. Good news.

AFL trade news: Rory Lobb says his future still could be at Whitten Oval after career revival​

Rory Lobb’s move to defense has reinvigorated his career at the Western Bulldogs. Here’s how it could shape the rest of his career, as the trade winds circulate.
Matt Forrest, Glenn McFarlane, Josh Barnes and Jay Clark

8 min read
August 1, 2024 - 4:22PM
News Sport Network
https://archive.md/X5bUQ#share-tools
10b8562d4b316b2000fd4e71800eeaf263022b0e.jpg

AFL: New contenders are beginning to emerge in the Premiership Window as the Finals quickly approach.
Reborn Western Bulldogs defender Rory Lobb says he is back enjoying his football as much as ever after his tumultuous 2024 season settled on a magnet switch.
And he maintains he can now see a future beyond this year at the Whitten Oval.
Earlier this season the 31-year-old seemed destined to join a fourth AFL club next year when he was stuck in the VFL and unable to win a consistent spot in the Bulldogs’ well-armed forward structure.
But after Aaron Naughton and Sam Darcy were briefly sidelined with injury and suspension, and following a shock switch to defence on their return, Lobb is playing some of the best form of his decade-long career.
“I have two more years left after this one,” Lobb said of his Bulldogs deal that runs through until the end of 2026.
“I just want to play AFL football. I want to do what I can to help the team as much as I can.
“I don’t like to look too far into the future, but I really enjoy (being at) this club.
[PLAYERCARD]Rory Lobb[/PLAYERCARD] shifted to defence this season. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

Rory Lobb shifted to defence this season. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.
“I feel like us, at our best, can beat anyone. We’ve got a really good group and a lot of the boys have re-signed (with the Bulldogs) and I feel like we can go a long way.
“Hopefully we can just keep this form going.”
Lobb, who played in two losing preliminary finals for Greater Western Sydney (one of them against the Bulldogs), says he is driven by the pursuit of success and believes his club is well placed in the coming years.
He insists he still has a number of years of good football left in him, having started the game later than most, and is happy to whatever role Luke Beveridge thinks is the best fit for the team dynamic.
“I’ve always said that I am happy to do whatever is best for the club,” he said. “I feel like I am a player who can adapt to whatever role, whether it is wing, forward, back or even in the ruck,” he said. “I am happy playing down back … I already feel comfortable down there.
“I feel like we have been really solid (in recent weeks) so there is no point moving and I am really excited to see where we can take it for the rest of the year.”
The Bulldogs have consistently said that Lobb remains a part of their plans beyond 2024, with the club saying earlier this year it would be unlikely to entertain a trade for him, given Lobb’s versatility.
The Dogs are chasing defender Tom Barrass but the Hawks have emerged as the leader in the chase for the West Coast premiership defender.

Looks like Rory is now more likely to stay. Good news.

AFL trade news: Rory Lobb says his future still could be at Whitten Oval after career revival​

Rory Lobb’s move to defense has reinvigorated his career at the Western Bulldogs. Here’s how it could shape the rest of his career, as the trade winds circulate.
Matt Forrest, Glenn McFarlane, Josh Barnes and Jay Clark

8 min read
August 1, 2024 - 4:22PM
News Sport Network
https://archive.md/X5bUQ#share-tools
10b8562d4b316b2000fd4e71800eeaf263022b0e.jpg

AFL: New contenders are beginning to emerge in the Premiership Window as the Finals quickly approach.
Reborn Western Bulldogs defender Rory Lobb says he is back enjoying his football as much as ever after his tumultuous 2024 season settled on a magnet switch.
And he maintains he can now see a future beyond this year at the Whitten Oval.
Earlier this season the 31-year-old seemed destined to join a fourth AFL club next year when he was stuck in the VFL and unable to win a consistent spot in the Bulldogs’ well-armed forward structure.
But after Aaron Naughton and Sam Darcy were briefly sidelined with injury and suspension, and following a shock switch to defence on their return, Lobb is playing some of the best form of his decade-long career.
“I have two more years left after this one,” Lobb said of his Bulldogs deal that runs through until the end of 2026.
“I just want to play AFL football. I want to do what I can to help the team as much as I can.
“I don’t like to look too far into the future, but I really enjoy (being at) this club.
Rory Lobb shifted to defence this season. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

“I feel like us, at our best, can beat anyone. We’ve got a really good group and a lot of the boys have re-signed (with the Bulldogs) and I feel like we can go a long way.
“Hopefully we can just keep this form going.”
Lobb, who played in two losing preliminary finals for Greater Western Sydney (one of them against the Bulldogs), says he is driven by the pursuit of success and believes his club is well placed in the coming years.
He insists he still has a number of years of good football left in him, having started the game later than most, and is happy to whatever role Luke Beveridge thinks is the best fit for the team dynamic.
“I’ve always said that I am happy to do whatever is best for the club,” he said. “I feel like I am a player who can adapt to whatever role, whether it is wing, forward, back or even in the ruck,” he said. “I am happy playing down back … I already feel comfortable down there.
“I feel like we have been really solid (in recent weeks) so there is no point moving and I am really excited to see where we can take it for the rest of the year.”
The Bulldogs have consistently said that Lobb remains a part of their plans beyond 2024, with the club saying earlier this year it would be unlikely to entertain a trade for him, given Lobb’s versatility.
The Dogs are chasing defender Tom Barrass but the Hawks have emerged as the leader in the chase for the West Coast premiership defender.
That premiership window shit is the laziest "analysis" I've ever seen - it's literally just percentage split into two dimensions

Port will have rocks in their head if they let Bergman go
Same with Houston. While he's not as good defensively he's their best weapon in attack next rozee & butters. They have forward line problems so maybe moving Houston into the forward line and rotate occasionally in the midfield would work better.

'Wouldn't change a thing': Jamarra on No.1, rejecting 'big bucks', taking a stand - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1185133

I hope articles like this can help people be less critical and at times abusive when players' form drops off. We knew he was having a hard time mentally, we know that media attention and contract talks are difficult distractions, and we know that it's tough to perform at your best as an elite athlete with any form of distraction, and yet some of the tripe posted here was/has been awful. He's still a kid and still working on the mental side of his game. I'm stoked we have him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Wouldn't change a thing': Jamarra on No.1, rejecting 'big bucks', taking a stand - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1185133

I hope articles like this can help people be less critical and at times abusive when players' form drops off. We knew he was having a hard time mentally, we know that media attention and contract talks are difficult distractions, and we know that it's tough to perform at your best as an elite athlete with any form of distraction, and yet some of the tripe posted here was/has been awful. He's still a kid and still working on the mental side of his game. I'm stoked we have him.

The kid works hard, you can tell by how much he’s improved year on year, but isn’t going to kick 4 goals every week, no matter what he does. The level of criticism directed at him in here for a solid month in a season where he may well give 50 goals a nudge as a 22 year old was ridiculous.

Would take Bergman over Barrass. Think he’d add a lot to our defensive mix and help release Freijah up the ground

Yeah a very good smaller defender to replace Duryea is the top of the list for me. As we learnt from Hall in 2011, the body might still physically be up for it but mentally you just can't do another preseason. So Duryea could be physically fine to go again but just mentally and emotionally buggered.

Hes happy to play rock-paper-scissors with Darce and Naughty for the Coleman 🤣🤣🤣

the rocks on these dog forwards!

English still 50/50 to re-sign according to Mitch Clearly. Make of that what you will.
Perhaps the plan is to roll with a 50/50 Lobb & Darcy ruck duo next year with Barrass at FB and Jones at CHB. In that way we pay the Timmy money to Barrass, pay the English compo pick to West Coast for Barrass, and we're in the similar list/cap position but believe it's a stronger on-field unit.

If Barrass chooses Hawthorn, we up our offer to Timmy and re-sign him. Lobb stays at CHB.

English still 50/50 to re-sign according to Mitch Clearly. Make of that what you will.

Brad Johnson said yesterday on a podcast that he is positive English will re-sign and it will be announced soon.

I don’t know what his sources are - or if it was just an opinion, but he’s heavily involved in the club so it’s got to mean something.

Jamarra
The day after we beat Collingwood, Sanders and Coffield attended my Auskick centre. Bailey Smith was meant to accompany them.

When I asked if Baz was on his way, Riley and Nick looked at each other and for a second there was awkward silence before one of them responded, "I wouldn't expect him to come."

That small interaction took me from 70% sure he was gone to 95%.

It would be disappointing if there wasn't a valid reason as to why he didn't attend. The kids would have loved it.
I think the fact that there are no news articles about Baz trying to be fit and become our secret finals weapon means the writing is on the wall. I’d love for him to stay but he’s gone imo.

Jamarra’s only 22 himself but he talks a lot about helping the young kids and being a leader in his community.
Between him, Darce, Naughton and Weightman, gonna be tough choosing our next captain post-Bont.

Jamarra

I think the fact that there are no news articles about Baz trying to be fit and become our secret finals weapon means the writing is on the wall. I’d love for him to stay but he’s gone imo.

As much as I dislike social media as a general rule, you can learn a lot about people from their posting and interactions. Pretty much every player I follow reposts and publicly acknowledges other player’s achievements and significant club announcements. Baz never seems to. It’s all about him. I think that’s telling when it comes to a perceived lack of investment on his part.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back