Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doc will be on around 95 or more games at the end of the year depending on how many finals we play. It would be great for him to join the list of Bulldog 100 gamers before he retires.

And he might even have some kids! ;)
Another to be given access to our clandestine breeding program...

speaking episode 14 GIF

I actually think Macrae has faer more deficiencies than Daniel. Daniel is still creative with the ball in hand. Jacko is not creative by foot, his kicking is pretty poor for a topline mid.
I reckon he may be in demand from a couple of clubs. Caleb has been linked in a return to Adelaide, he would be a POD for them.
They've both been good servants and premiership heroes, I see no issue in them wanting a new environment. They are now surplus to our needs. We wouldn't get much back though, maybe a pick in 30s or 40s for each of them.

I think the big problem with Daniel is that whenever he gets the ball in hand he immediately slows us down on transition, this wouldn't be as much of a problem if he was still pinpointing short kicks like he used to be but he's just not hitting targets that only he could pick out like he used to.

Daniel and Macrae are far more gifted players than McNeill and Vandemeer but the latter two get a game before them. To me this says so much about the modern game and what players require.

No leg speed and minimal kicking penetration.

Further highlighted for Daniel with his lack of size.

Daniel needs 20-25+ disposals at 85% percent efficiency to outweigh his shortcomings. And that hasn’t happened for a long period of time.

I looked up Adams Equity Theory in Wikipedia. It states :-
“If Fremantle Football Club received Pick 6 and steak knives for a bog ordinary mid like Adam Cerra, then Western Bulldogs must receive two top ten picks for Bailey Smith.”
Can’t really go against standard practice.

Daniel and Macrae are far more gifted players than McNeill and Vandemeer but the latter two get a game before them. To me this says so much about the modern game and what players require.
This was best illustrated clearly in some of those speedy handball and running transitions that we saw on Friday night. While it's not impossible to visualise Daniel being part of those chains, that's not the sort of play we are used to from him. We are used to him playing a quarterback role where he looks around and initiates & directs the play but at a less frenetic pace.

And that's the problem. When we move the ball slower the opposition floods back and when we finally kick inside 50 there are 20-30 players there. We do well from f50 stoppages but much of our recent success has been from swift transitions too. To score fast and freely we need to get that kick inside 50 to a very uncrowded forward line.

That means fast breaks which is not really Daniel's thing. And probably not Macrae's either.

I'd prefer to keep both but if one had to go then Daniel, I think the side is only going to move further away from him. Macrea however would be great to bridge the gap between the old and new. Next year I can see Libba needing to be managed more and although he has had a fantastic run this year and in career best form Treloar is also getting on so mature depth is always handy, of course after what he has contributed to the club if he isn't happy playing half forward/back up Mid then I'd definitely facilitate a trade for him if it was worthwhile for the club.

Also / want to keep both. But this has to be a rebirth of Caleb. We moved him from HBF because for all his strengths teams would play through him to expose his defensive weaknesses.

We then new we needed more in the midfield so sent him inside - it worked Ok but Trelor staying fit and Red being settled has lowered the need but also Garcia, Sanders and Gallagher in front so no space.

And waiting around for a midfield spot makes no sense - Bont, Trelor, Macrae, Libba transition is now looking solid to Bont, Red, West/Garcia and Sanders. Am assuming we lose Smith based on all the talk but if he stays he plays if he goes we hopefully get another top 10 mid who will likely play 10 games or so.

Gallagher I am not so sure about inside - just gets tackles too much - brain freeze but has speed and power. On the other hand Friejah looks a star and is very comfortable in traffic - once Bont goes mostly forward - we have our heir apparent.

I would train Caleb all off season as a small forward. He is an incredibly talented player who just gets moved around to places where he can use his strengths.

Up forwards we are weak in talent - have a few hard workers who have speed in VDM and McNeil but don’t have the skills. One of them is fine.

Weightman and West bringing fight and one pressure forward Caleb’s great tank and creativity buzzing around the forward line could be great and bring something different.

Macrae is a great player I don’t want to go but he just happens to be behind Bont and Richards - he starts for most teams and I would not blame him for a longer contract more dollars more games. Just watching him on the VFL - 42 possessions and fast decision making that made others look like beginners.

We have had a great run with Bont and Red injury wise but if either those are injured we can drop off without Macrae. Reckon he would still play 50% of games next year.

He would Go to a team with good young midfielders that need a solid high possession leader.

We need to prioritise some speedy half back flankers in my view.

Duryea and JJ on last legs, Richards now a bone fide midfield star and Daniel probably out the door means we need 2-3.

Id push for Bergman, see if we could pry Noble/Markov as added depth and even look in the draft for an outside runner who may be able to start at half back.

Our key forwards and backs are ok for a few years, albeit we may need another key back via draft to develop sooner than later

If we are targeting positions I would go for speedy / ball carrying mids, small forward someone who can crumb so a little different to Weightman and also running half backs

This is on the basis Treloar has 2 years left, we will lose Smith, Sanders looks more an in and under type, JJ Duryea finish soon

Small forwards let’s face it VDM and McNeil aren’t brilliant and Clarke will be lucky to make it on what he has shown and still needs a contract for next year which isn’t certain, Bendendo will probably be delisted

Also / want to keep both. But this has to be a rebirth of Caleb. We moved him from HBF because for all his strengths teams would play through him to expose his defensive weaknesses.

We then new we needed more in the midfield so sent him inside - it worked Ok but Trelor staying fit and Red being settled has lowered the need but also Garcia, Sanders and Gallagher in front so no space.

And waiting around for a midfield spot makes no sense - Bont, Trelor, Macrae, Libba transition is now looking solid to Bont, Red, West/Garcia and Sanders. Am assuming we lose Smith based on all the talk but if he stays he plays if he goes we hopefully get another top 10 mid who will likely play 10 games or so.

Gallagher I am not so sure about inside - just gets tackles too much - brain freeze but has speed and power. On the other hand Friejah looks a star and is very comfortable in traffic - once Bont goes mostly forward - we have our heir apparent.

I would train Caleb all off season as a small forward. He is an incredibly talented player who just gets moved around to places where he can use his strengths.

Up forwards we are weak in talent - have a few hard workers who have speed in VDM and McNeil but don’t have the skills. One of them is fine.

Weightman and West bringing fight and one pressure forward Caleb’s great tank and creativity buzzing around the forward line could be great and bring something different.

Macrae is a great player I don’t want to go but he just happens to be behind Bont and Richards - he starts for most teams and I would not blame him for a longer contract more dollars more games. Just watching him on the VFL - 42 possessions and fast decision making that made others look like beginners.

We have had a great run with Bont and Red injury wise but if either those are injured we can drop off without Macrae. Reckon he would still play 50% of games next year.

He would Go to a team with good young midfielders that need a solid high possession leader.
The forward line is ideal for Daniel because size is not a factor there. He needs to work on forward craft and finding another gear running.

I think Macrae can push his way back in the team next year. He had barely any preseason so.

I think backing them in for 2025 then look to trade if they still cant find a spot at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macrae was good in the half forward role. Still plenty of footy left in him. Love Caleb but he looks very shaky atm.

Hopefully both can come good.

Gallagher has shut down defender written all over him imho. Strong and fast but lacks creativity. Works hard and never seems to drop his bundle.
Ditto. He straight-lines the ball which isn't working as a mid but is an attribute as a defender.
He was drafted on the back of his form when he was sent back into defence.

We need to prioritise some speedy half back flankers in my view.

Duryea and JJ on last legs, Richards now a bone fide midfield star and Daniel probably out the door means we need 2-3.

Id push for Bergman, see if we could pry Noble/Markov as added depth and even look in the draft for an outside runner who may be able to start at half back.
I see this as Gallaghers role.

Gallagher has shut down defender written all over him imho. Strong and fast but lacks creativity. Works hard and never seems to drop his bundle.

Gags for Doc when that happens seems like a no brainer, doesnt it - its where Gags made his mark prior to getting drafted anyway.

Pretty strange that he got so many midfield minutes this season though. Where is he lining up in the VFL?

Gags for Doc when that happens seems like a no brainer, doesnt it - its where Gags made his mark prior to getting drafted anyway.

Pretty strange that he got so many midfield minutes this season though. Where is he lining up in the VFL?
Not sure. Midfield I think.

It shows that modern role players have to have pace but also be prepared to stick to the game plan and not waver. I guarantee most would think Macrae and Daniel are "better footballers" than VDM, McNeil, Gallagher, Garcia but maybe they just aren't prepared to do the sacrificial role like the guys that know they are role players.
I see no point in keeping players of that ilk if they want to go elsewhere for better opportunity.
Jacko, is just not explosive enough for a midfield role, Caleb is too small and can. be manipulated by oppo coaches.

Both could and would have value at other clubs. Just no longer with us. Sanders is a younger form of Macrae and Bramble is doing the role of Caleb comfortably now. I like both, but, it's time to mutually part ways.

Our key forwards and backs are ok for a few years, albeit we may need another key back via draft to develop sooner than later

If we are targeting positions I would go for speedy / ball carrying mids, small forward someone who can crumb so a little different to Weightman and also running half backs

This is on the basis Treloar has 2 years left, we will lose Smith, Sanders looks more an in and under type, JJ Duryea finish soon

Small forwards let’s face it VDM and McNeil aren’t brilliant and Clarke will be lucky to make it on what he has shown and still needs a contract for next year which isn’t certain, Bendendo will probably be delisted
We already have JOD (21), Buss (20) and Croft (19) on the list as developing KPDs, although jury still out on where Croft ends up, plus Gardy contracted to 2026 so don’t think we need another developing key tall there. I would actually like to draft a project KPF or 2 in the 3rd/4th round even just to straighten us up at Footscray, and who knows how they develop training with Naughty, Jamarra and Darcy every day.

How do you rate Gags overhead. I don’t think we’ll appreciate how good Duryea is overhead and reading of the play as a small defender and how important that is until he’s done.

I actually wouldn’t mind Sanders playing a bit as a small defender if he could start his career like Matty Boyd finished his while we still have others taking most of the CBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back