Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's had about four calf setbacks this year. I wonder if his body is telling him it's time.
Calf = 'old man injuries' and he's not getting Bramble's position back anytime soon

Calf = 'old man injuries' and he's not getting Bramble's position back anytime soon

All things being equal I’d take JJ and Harmes ahead of VDM and McNeil in those roles.

However all things are not equal as JJ hasn’t been an option at all and likely isn’t going to be.

Would be a great sub for finals though if possible.

All things being equal I’d take JJ and Harmes ahead of VDM and McNeil in those roles.

However all things are not equal as JJ hasn’t been an option at all and likely isn’t going to be.

Would be a great sub for finals though if possible.
I wouldn't be suprised to see JJ playing at some level as soon as next week

I wouldn't be suprised to see JJ playing at some level as soon as next week
I take it that you have some info. There’s been a pattern of a few players having longer timelines and then all of the sudden playing.

I mentioned earlier that perhaps it’s a sneaky tactic from the medical staff to take the pressure off the player and allow them to go about their rehab at their individual rate. Someone like JJ would need a bit longer than your typical 3-4 weeks for soft tissues injuries.

I want us to be ruthless with the Smith trade. If it’s geelong well their approach to the Tim Kelly trade isn’t a bad benchmark.

I want us to be ruthless with the Smith trade. If it’s geelong well their approach to the Tim Kelly trade isn’t a bad benchmark.
I don’t think they will but would love Richmond to finish above North. Smith won’t want to head to North if a trade fell through but I could see being prepared to land at Richmond. Of course neither happened but it impacts the trade dynamics.

I don’t think they will but would love Richmond to finish above North. Smith won’t want to head to North if a trade fell through but I could see being prepared to land at Richmond. Of course neither happened but it impacts the trade dynamics.
It is a non-issue. Not only would someone pick him up In the preseason draft before Geelong pick but as a club forcing players through that channel isn't how we operate.

It is a non-issue. Not only would someone pick him up In the preseason draft before Geelong pick but as a club forcing players through that channel isn't how we operate.
I was more thinking that if a trade couldn’t get done would Smith fall back to staying on a 2 year deal taking him the FA? If the alternative for him is North then probably yes, if it’s Richmond then he probably goes. Again it never comes to fruition but if Geelong view our outcome of failing to agree a trade as Smith probably stays vs we lose him for nothing they can’t drive as hard a bargain.

I was more thinking that if a trade couldn’t get done would Smith fall back to staying on a 2 year deal taking him the FA? If the alternative for him is North then probably yes, if it’s Richmond then he probably goes. Again it never comes to fruition but if Geelong view our outcome of failing to agree a trade as Smith probably stays vs we lose him for nothing they can’t drive as hard a bargain.
It works in theory but at the end of the day when a player is OOC he gets to his preferred destination one way or another.

I think it’s clear the club does not want to keep Bailey. There’s no other reason to offer such a small contract (in terms of tenure).

A trade will be done. It’ll be for a mid range first pick and we will forget about it fairly quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s clear the club does not want to keep Bailey. There’s no other reason to offer such a small contract (in terms of tenure).

A trade will be done. It’ll be for a mid range first pick and we will forget about it fairly quickly.
Depending where the first falls (likely late teens after FA compos) they will likely need to add something extra.

Depending where the first falls (likely late teens after FA compos) they will likely need to add something extra.
Probably, I'd suggest something else gets added anyway. The point of my post was more just around looking at the situation for what it seems as though it is. Bailey wants out and the Dogs are happy to hold the door for him as he leaves.

What’s the story with Houston wanting out? I’d say he’s probably the best back flanker in the comp after Zorko, Dale and Whitfield.
It seems as though the situation is as simple as him wanting to return to Victoria. He has been pretty positive about Port Adelaide in his media appearances. I don't think there's much else to the story than that. It's unfortunate for Port but they hold the strong hand here as he's contracted for a further 3 seasons after this one.

Probably, I'd suggest something else gets added anyway. The point of my post was more just around looking at the situation for what it seems as though it is. Bailey wants out and the Dogs are happy to hold the door for him as he leaves.
I've had that feeling for a while too, Baldy.

Doesn't appear to be much energy from the club on him. Seems to me they might be okay with letting him go, and may have been for some time, sadly.

Would love to know more about why and how it's got to this point, though.

What’s the story with Houston wanting out? I’d say he’s probably the best back flanker in the comp after Zorko, Dale and Whitfield.
Big money money money

It seems as though the situation is as simple as him wanting to return to Victoria. He has been pretty positive about Port Adelaide in his media appearances. I don't think there's much else to the story than that. It's unfortunate for Port but they hold the strong hand here as he's contracted for a further 3 seasons after this one.
Also very far down the line with with Perryman and Cumming. If they can get an early first and a second whilst replacing him onfield with one or both of those as free agents for no draft capital they'll have done very well.

I've had that feeling for a while too, Baldy.

Doesn't appear to be much energy from the club on him. Seems to me they might be okay with letting him go, and may have been for some time, sadly.

Would love to know more about why and how it's got to this point, though.
I genuinely wonder what life would be like in 2024 for both the team and Bailey had he not done his knee. Given how distant the club has been with Bailey and vice versa, it makes you wonder if he'd even be playing if he was fit.

I genuinely wonder what life would be like in 2024 for both the team and Bailey had he not done his knee. Given how distant the club has been with Bailey and vice versa, it makes you wonder if he'd even be playing if he was fit.
Seems a far cry from the newly drafted kid I had a chat with in Barkers Cafe a few days before his first (pre-season) game.

He was just excited to be playing and he talked for 10 minutes without taking a breath. Humble, grateful, committed to the club and thrilled to be part of it all.

sigh...

Richards wouldn’t be playing midfield, we’d be a worse team imo.

Was a blessing in disguise.

Richards wouldn’t be playing midfield, we’d be a worse team imo.

Was a blessing in disguise.
I disagree that Richards wouldn’t be playing midfield. He was moved to replace Liberatore. Regardless that wasn’t necessarily what I meant.

I was referring to the management of Bailey as a whole. If we assume he still hadn’t re-signed, if he was visibly absent and distant as he appears to be, would we even bother playing him.

Who is he playing in front of?

Rhylee West and Cody Weightman this year will likely kick more goals in a season than Ryan ever has in a single season (and Weightman has only played 13 games). He applies less pressure than McNeil and only marginally more than Vandermeer, but he'd cost 2x what Vandermeer is being paid and the draft picks it'd cost to get a player like him out of West Coast would be way overs.
Very fair points, although, Flying Ryan played a fair bit higher than most think when he was at his peak and I think he could easily transition to half back (if needed) in a good side.

Probably not doable due the reasons you mention, but you can never have enough good players.

If it could happen (right price etc), I’d be all over him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back