Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think JJ will retire has had a lot of of tissue issues the last few seasons. He currently is the only ever Norm Smith medalist at the dogs. Heard Taylor Duryea on Sen on Saturday does not sound like he will retire if offered another contract. The others will be delistings or trades.
Duryea is going as well as he ever has.

He surely goes on next year.

I just don’t understand what went wrong with Baz. 2023 was a down year for the whole team not just him. He seemed to go backwards since the white powder bag photo.

The rumours he was upset because he was played out of position are ridiculous, he still played in the midfield. If he wanted to be traded why didn’t we go last year when Hawthorn offered two firsts for him? Supposedly he told the club he wanted to stay. What has changed?

Why is the club offering such a small contract and appear to be easily accepting he is leaving. So many supporters have said he is great with the fans, and seems a really nice person, yet others seem to think he is only interested in his profile and business interests.

He was pick 7, why the hell are we strengthening a competitor like Geelong or Hawthorn with a player who was such a high draft pick.

I think it’s clear the club does not want to keep Bailey. There’s no other reason to offer such a small contract (in terms of tenure).

A trade will be done. It’ll be for a mid range first pick and we will forget about it fairly quickly.

I'm not convinced that is true. More the club don't want to keep him at the huge price others are offering.

I'm not convinced that is true. More the club don't want to keep him at the huge price others are offering.
Yep, someone mentioned earlier in the week that we’d all be a bit more understanding if we understood the magnitude of the offers on the table for him. A team that is making Bailey a top 20 paid player in the league is taking a big gamble that he gets back to his (assuming they’re playing by the same salary cap as the rest).

JJ could be the final part of the puzzle and if he wanted to go on, the club would probably let him.

Injuries obviously aren’t helping, but he generally comes to hand very quick off a layoff. He finds another level in big games too.

Not writing him off just yet.
It’s not the best use of his skillset but I wonder if they’d consider moving him forward again into the role he played in 2021 if he were to be fit? There’s no room in the backline at the moment without upsetting the overall balance.

VDM & McNeil have okay tackling pressure but their roles are more around speed and cutting down space as evident with VDM’s 1.9 tackles per game. JJ can be a lot more damaging with ball in hand.

I just don’t understand what went wrong with Baz. 2023 was a down year for the whole team not just him. He seemed to go backwards since the white powder bag photo.

The rumours he was upset because he was played out of position are ridiculous, he still played in the midfield. If he wanted to be traded why didn’t we go last year when Hawthorn offered two firsts for him? Supposedly he told the club he wanted to stay. What has changed?

Why is the club offering such a small contract and appear to be easily accepting he is leaving. So many supporters have said he is great with the fans, and seems a really nice person, yet others seem to think he is only interested in his profile and business interests.

He was pick 7, why the hell are we strengthening a competitor like Geelong or Hawthorn with a player who was such a high draft pick.

Exactly. I bet North would love him, Richmond as well.

Take a stand Dogs.

As for Smith, sometimes the grass isn't always greener.

Last edited:

Baz has picked either Hawthorn or Geelong, once he has chosen our hands are tied as to who we negotiate with.

As to our management of him I can’t see anything the club has done wrong. If offering a two year deal on probably $800k-$900k p.a. is insulting to Baz well don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

I’d be more concerned if the club was offering the $6m over 5 years he will get from another club.

The shit thing is that I think the way we are playing now would really match Baileys strengths, whereas the old midfield first hands and stationary handball club did not. He will probably become a pretty good mid at geelong once he gets over his knee. Not the guy you tag every wek, but a decent starting cog in a good midfield for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The shit thing is that I think the way we are playing now would really match Baileys strengths, whereas the old midfield first hands and stationary handball club did not. He will probably become a pretty good mid at geelong once he gets over his knee. Not the guy you tag every wek, but a decent starting cog in a good midfield for sure.

Imagine Baz rotating through mid / half forward in our current team. Scary.
Really hope we keep him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Imagine Baz rotating through mid / half forward in our current team. Scary.
Really hope we keep him.

Its a midfielders draft this year - if we can turn his pick into a decent mid in time for the retirement of Libba and Treloar, we'll be OK. best we can do.

English has signed on unsure of the finer details but he’s not going anywhere

That is good news. Thought we were never going to keep all our top resignings this season with The Bont's contract coming up next season. Sam has done a great job and obviously knew Bailey was the one that was going and moved to get Sanders. I still think Sanders will be good just hope he can add a bit more pace to his game. I think with the right training over pre season it is possible to add a little speed.

That is good news. Thought we were never going to keep all our top resignings this season with The Bont's contract coming up next season. Sam has done a great job and obviously knew Bailey was the one that was going and moved to get Sanders. I still think Sanders will be good just hope he can add a bit more pace to his game. I think with the right training over pre season it is possible to add a little speed.

Sanders showed good burst out of packs in the VFL last week similar to what he has shown in u18. Definitely has the ability to run and carry more.

English a great signing. AA level rucks are hard to get. People talk about the players we’ve lost in the last decade but imo Dunkley is the only one who’d be in our best team atm. Unfortunately he was always gonna go.

Stringer, Hunter, Lipinski + others have been no loss.

It’s not the best use of his skillset but I wonder if they’d consider moving him forward again into the role he played in 2021 if he were to be fit? There’s no room in the backline at the moment without upsetting the overall balance.

VDM & McNeil have okay tackling pressure but their roles are more around speed and cutting down space as evident with VDM’s 1.9 tackles per game. JJ can be a lot more damaging with ball in hand.
I’m nearly certain that JJ would be playing instead of VDM if he was fit. The role is based around speed and at a guess, even an older JJ would be sharper than VDM.

He’s a better player.

Lukosius? Dont know too much about him other than I was impressed with his field kicking. Like, imagine if Baily Dale was 195cm. Has just been omitted from the Suns team this week where he has been playing forward for a season or so.

How would he look for us in defence? As a 3rd tall or even very tall back flanker. (195). Possibly in the role Buku is playing at the moment as a floating defender.

Last edited:
Lukosius? Dont know too much about him other than I was impressed with his field kicking. Like, imagine if Baily Dale was 195cm. Has just been omitted from the Suns team this week where he has been playing forward for a season or so.

How would he look for us in defence? As a 3rd tall or even very tall back flanker. (195). Possibly in the role Buku is playing at the moment as a floating defender.
Beautiful kick of the footy, but pretty timid. He's not the type of player we need

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back