Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Lukocious and his kick inside 50 would be great but I don't think we should spend what little we have this year for a flank.

They're easily draftable.
Agree. He’s a good mark and an elite kick but not a need. I’m still very firmly in the camp of targeting an A grade mid next year or Bergman if possible.

I like Lukocious and his kick inside 50 would be great but I don't think we should spend what little we have this year for a flank.

They're easily draftable.
Yep - if we're struggling to fit Coffield and Freijah into the same side, Luko is an expensive luxury.

Small lockdown defender and small quick pressure forward please.

If we get a chance to get lukosius we should jump at it high half forward or wing, in our team would have so much more freedom and less pressure with the talls we have would absolutely thrive

Agree. He’s a good mark and an elite kick but not a need. I’m still very firmly in the camp of targeting an A grade mid next year or Bergman if possible.
Lukosius is also very mobile. He's not a forward though he's a wing player. Something that would be ideal. Having him would provide way more marking options. Same with with Bergman and his reach so either is good. would be very good to get 1 of them.

Lukosius is also very mobile. He's not a forward though he's a wing player. Something that would be ideal. Having him would provide way more marking options. Same with with Bergman and his reach so either is good. would be very good to get 1 of them.
The only issue I have with bringing in Luko is that we already have 3 tall forwards bringing in an extra tall would give up too much at ground level in my view. I like him but don't think he fits our side more so someone like the Crows (post Tex) or pies who have good pressure forwards and a lack of talls.

The only issue I have with bringing in Luko is that we already have 3 tall forwards bringing in an extra tall would give up too much at ground level in my view. I like him but don't think he fits our side more so someone like the Crows (post Tex) or pies who have good pressure forwards and a lack of talls.
I don't thing ground level is a weakness for most of our talls. Anyways he's Adelaide bound and probably for a good deal too considering he's part of a salary dump.

yeah, thats the vibe - but we persisted with a similar player - Bailey Dale, who is now one of the best rebounding defenders in the game, after being trialled everywhere else.

They are not identical - Dale is quicker and probably more evasive, both great traits for a rebounding defender! But at 195cm Lukosious has aerial power and if anything, he is a better kick than Dale - possibly even longer, but also looks to have a very precise 'soft' kick to advantage as well.

Look at his highlights as a defender a few years ago - some of those kicks are just so good.

Underwhelming highlights - Hrovat-esque.

Anyone have an idea on why the Freijah extension is only one year? I get it is a small sample size and a 10 year extension could be costly ( and ludicrous) but 1 year doesn’t scream show of faith to me. Two or three years tops at this stage. I am not knocking the decision at all, just wondering which side set the limit at one.
One year seems to be a standard extension for a first year player who is showing promise. Apart from rusted on types (like a F/S star such as Naicos) can you think of many first year players getting an extension out to their 4th or 5th year?

It probably suits both sides.

For the club ... it locks the player away for an extra year at a time he wouldn't be chased too hard by other clubs. It gives him time to make lifelong friends and really feel like the club is his home which helps cement him as a one-club player. At the same time it doesn't risk an overly generous long term contract in case he turns out to be a first year wonder (and a later year flop) like Lewy Taylor.

For the player ... I expect his manager will be saying he should take the extra year as security now while he concentrates on establishing himself as a regular member of the senior team. If he continues to blossom as expected he will get a lot more money in his fourth year if he negotiates a new contract in his third year than if he takes a 2 or 3 year extension now when he's not much more than a fringe player.

In short, my guess is it's a handy holding arrangement for both sides while they wait to see how good he's really going to be. Dale4captain might know a bit more about the hows and whys of such arrangements.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One year seems to be a standard extension for a first year player who is showing promise. Apart from rusted on types (like a F/S star such as Naicos) can you think of many first year players getting an extension out to their 4th or 5th year?

It probably suits both sides.

For the club ... it locks the player away for an extra year at a time he wouldn't be chased too hard by other clubs. It gives him time to make lifelong friends and really feel like the club is his home which helps cement him as a one-club player. At the same time it doesn't risk an overly generous long term contract in case he turns out to be a first year wonder (and a later year flop) like Lewy Taylor.

For the player ... I expect his manager will be saying he should take the extra year as security now while he concentrates on establishing himself as a regular member of the senior team. If he continues to blossom as expected he will get a lot more money in his fourth year if he negotiates a new contract in his third year than if he takes a 2 or 3 year extension now when he's not much more than a fringe player.

In short, my guess is it's a handy holding arrangement for both sides while they wait to see how good he's really going to be. Dale4captain might know a bit more about the hows and whys of such arrangements.
Nailed it mate. It just brings him in line with his peers. Only the really top echelon of first year players are seeing a multi year extension, Ashcroft, Daicos etc.

Lukosius is a very skilful player. Always thought he was a forward, but seemed a good move pushing him back with his ability to kick accurately over distance.
Interestingly his biggest bags of goals (4 x 5 goals, 1 x 4 goals) have all been in the 'tropics' at Carrara (1 Ă— 5, 1 x 4) or Marrara (3 x 5). One of those against us.

He's also recorded 23 hitouts this year, after never registering a single one in his career previously.

I wouldn't say he lacks intensity though, more so lacks physicality. Very much an outside player (some may say 'soft' but I'm wary of that label, he's not a squib - neither was Schache in spite of some of the derision he got on here). He's just not a bloke who crashes packs or utilises his size to impact opponents.

Ultimately though, I don't think he fits our team dynamic, or Bevo's mantra. People bag our players like JJ and Dale for being 'soft'. They might panic on the odd occasion due to inferred pressure when they've been tagged or sat on, but show me an instance where either of them have actually squibbed a contest, or even dropped a mark Jack Darling-style. Anyway off on a tangent again... 🤪

While we are healthier as a list than I can be we remember we can easily think we have excess senior players like Macrae, Daniel, Harmes, Keath and Scott but get a few injuries and their value is much higher.

Despite that - this type of player is a target and so will be poached. All they want to do is play every weekend. So I wonder if we can use this for a moneyball play.

We are talking about chasing Barrass but with LJizz and Lobb in the setup atm and Buss and JOD coming through is this a true need? Certainly not a moneyball play at the likely price. If it is then assume Ballard is in our target list.

But is we focus on where in the ground has the biggest potential to lift and make us better it is not talls we need but smalls fast-wing, small forward, small defender.

If we went to a club and said you can have Daniel and Macrae (these are starting 33 at most teams so would be better off) and we would only do it if we have two players in our priority moneyball areas. I wonder if anyone would bite!

If Hayden Young is homesick at any stage, happy to find him a nice kennel at WO.

Would look so great next to Richards.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back