Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jordon Sweet killing it for Port Power, which included giving Tim English a bath in round 17. Why are we so averse to physical ruckmen again?
Because Bevo's game-style requires a mobile and useful ruck

Jordon Sweet killing it for Port Power, which included giving Tim English a bath in round 17. Why are we so averse to physical ruckmen again?

Killing it? 😂 He’s below average in all stats this year except for hit outs where he’s a world beating above average.

English had double the disposals, goals, marks and 5 x the tackles in their game.

But Sweet had 12 more hit outs = he gave him a bath?

Killing it? 😂 He’s below average in all stats this year except for hit outs where he’s a world beating above average.

English had double the disposals, goals, marks and 5 x the tackles in their game.

Sweet is a one dimensional player. English more than makes up around the ground for what he lacks at the stoppages.

Sweet is a one dimensional player. English more than makes up around the ground for what he lacks at the stoppages.

5 of the top 6 average hit out players this season are from teams languishing in the bottom 6 of the ladder.

Would have to be the most useless stat in the game.

A strange obsession for some supporters.

Regarding Jack Macrae, I'm going to let sentiment get in the way here. He is one premiership dog that I never, ever want to see in another team's colours. He is such a no fuss, team-oriented professional and has been such a great player for us. I still think he has something to offer. I really hope he retires as a one-club player.

Yep. English is still top 5 for intercept possessions per game among all rucks (with the usual elite rucks top 5) and has kicked more goals than any genuine first ruck this season.

He's not the All-Australian quality top 3 ruck in the league that he was last season, but people will twist reality so much when it comes to English as they won't with other players.

I'm glad he's resigned on a reasonable deal. By the time the final year of his contract is enacted, we could have a top 5 ruck in the league for the cost of an outside the top 10 rucks in the league salary. That's good.

With Smith, Daniel, Keath and JJ possibly all gone at the end of this year, supporters of opposition clubs who think our cap is bursting at the seams are in for the rudest of shocks. My body is ready for some all-time classic melts when instead of losing players, we instead go shopping for some of their free agents over the next few years, even while we're busy signing up the next generation of dominant father-sons.
Yep. With this year being a strong draft, with deep quality and the heavily diluted Tasmania drafts not far away, reckon our short/medium term strategy looks pretty logical.

Trade out Baz and one or 2 others looking for more opportunity and hit the draft this year.

Front end Naughts, Marra, English etc and maximize cap space.

Trade hard and target guns through the diluted years.

Not unlike Hawthorn's threepeat years.

With a core of Naughton, Jamarra, Darcy, Weightman, English, JOD, Freijah, Sanders, Richards, West, and others all with their prime years ahead of them (and Buss, Croft in development) we are well placed for a very strong era.

Last edited:
I'm not pushing CD or Macrae out.

CD played well yesterday because he was allowed to play his best role as a high defender. Bramble's (excellent) wing minutes helped accommodate him. If we are expecting/wanting Freijah to move to the wing, and at least one, possibly two retirements out of JJ and Doc, our small defensive depth is really not substantial. There will be a spot there for him.

Macrae had an interrupted preseason, probably for the first time in his career. I don't buy that the game has sped up or he has fallen off so rapidly that he's now not up to it. He played very well yesterday and several other times this season. Yes, we have a lot of mid depth now, but I think he's still capable of offering a lot.

Unless we are bringing in big targets and need the cap space, I think it's lunacy to push either of them out.

I'm not pushing CD or Macrae out.

CD played well yesterday because he was allowed to play his best role as a high defender. Bramble's (excellent) wing minutes helped accommodate him. If we are expecting/wanting Freijah to move to the wing, and at least one, possibly two retirements out of JJ and Doc, our small defensive depth is really not substantial. There will be a spot there for him.

Macrae had an interrupted preseason, probably for the first time in his career. I don't buy that the game has sped up or he has fallen off so rapidly that he's now not up to it. He played very well yesterday and several other times this season. Yes, we have a lot of mid depth now, but I think he's still capable of offering a lot.

Unless we are bringing in big targets and need the cap space, I think it's lunacy to push either of them out.
On top of all this, finals winning experience and the intangibles of hundreds of previous games at AFL level has to count for something. It's hard to parse out either statistically or through match footage or whatever but there's a reason more experienced teams win more games, and that's just the intangibles of experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me right now
Will Smith Reaction GIF

Even if they're not top 10/15 draft picks we should be hitting the draft hard in terms of potential future genuine onball midfielders.

Other than Sanders we barely have a player in the VFL younger than 23 who is on the precipice of getting picked in our AFL team and is developing as an onballer as part of our systems, even if we don't think they're going to be a star.

Not saying that we should expect a better player or a likely AFL contributor from a random pick 23 or whatever, just that, we need that type of player getting centre bounce minutes in the AFL that is in the 1st-4th year developing category.

Some of our supporters have a strange Jordan Sweet obsession.
We gave Sweet a fair go in my opinion. He played 11 games for us in 2021/2022 where we had both English and Stef Martin on the list. He isn't a bad player by any means but to say we would be better off if we had Sweet instead of English is just crazy.

Even if they're not top 10/15 draft picks we should be hitting the draft hard in terms of potential future genuine onball midfielders.

Other than Sanders we barely have a player in the VFL younger than 23 who is on the precipice of getting picked in our AFL team and is developing as an onballer as part of our systems, even if we don't think they're going to be a star.

Not saying that we should expect a better player or a likely AFL contributor from a random pick 23 or whatever, just that, we need that type of player getting centre bounce minutes in the AFL that is in the 1st-4th year developing category.
Harvey Gallagher?

Ed Richards just turned 25, hasn't even entered his early prime yet.

Me right now
Will Smith Reaction GIF
You need to share this news with somebody who has impeccable standing on this board.*

So that when it comes to pass you can do a I knew this way back when and have it verified.

And we all cheer!

*me.

Some of our supporters have a strange Jordan Sweet obsession.
It's more a frustration with what English doesn't (can't) do. In both the Adelaide games, he was physically pushed off the ball consistently due to lack of strength/aggression. The fact that we lost both these considerably is not entirely on Tim but it does stick in the mind.
I don't deny that his mobility and fitness are an asset but I would really like to see him clunk a few more marks and assert himself more in the contest.
Is it worth him starting behind the ball, letting Buku take the centre bounce (and losing it) and then switching back on the ball in a ruck rover capacity

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back