Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Couch

Ralph re Baz: everyone in footy believes he’s going to Geelong, even the dogs.

Also Ralph: Looking like Geelong have pick 15 to give, are the dogs happy with that?
Browny: awwww yeeah. I think They’d take that at the moment, the demographic of the bulldogs list they don’t want for too much they’re pretty young.

So apparently because our list is young and in good shape there’s no need to extract maximum value for one of our prime assets.
He’d be worth 2 x firsts if he played for Richmond.

Luko seems to me like a third tall forward with a good kick but no physicality. He's a more talented Todd Marshall, who's a more talented Josh Schache.

I don’t think I rate Houston as high as a lot of others, but I also don’t watch many Port games at all
He's the number 1 'inside 50' kick in the competition this year. Our own Ed Richards is number 2, daylight third.

I'll never understand the concept of selling low on mature, good players that permeates this board TBH. I wouldn't begrudge Macrae and/or Daniel wanting a fresh start, but pushing them out now... it genuinely perplexes me.

I'll never understand the concept of selling low on mature, good players that permeates this board TBH. I wouldn't begrudge Macrae and/or Daniel wanting a fresh start, but pushing them out now... it genuinely perplexes me.
As long as the coaching group is honest with then, that they may play some VFL or sub in the AFL and they are happy with that I would not be pushing them out.

If they wish to move on to play more first 22 football the club should facilitate that given what they have contributed.

We offered the longer term contracts, we should honour that

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree but he like smith is out the door. Take it to the bank. Caleb maybe be also if he finds a suitor

And last week we heard Macrae was more than happy to stay and earn his spot back, so forgive me for not wanting to bet the farm on him leaving just yet. Like most on here, I won't begrudge him leaving for better opportunities but we should be trying hard to keep him, injuries do happen.

Early morning coffee chats (player manager, not someone who works at the Dogs, but speaks with our various teams / managers weekly).

-Macca more than happy to stay with the Dogs and earn his spot back.
-CD does have interested from other clubs, might explore his options end of year
-Smith to Geelong all but signed off on - Dogs expected to ask for two firsts
-Hasn't heard anything on Garcia.
-English 5 years, we didn't cave to his money/years demands
-Focus at the Kennel is to rejuv the midfield and wings
-Things at Melbourne worse than what the media is reporting - The club is in shambles
-As VD/Others have said, cap space wise we're in a good position - he expects the Dogs to be aggressive moving forward now that new facilities are complete and we're on an upward trajectory on field.
-Dogs are also looking at bringing on at least one new experienced assistant coach

He implied to me that every target we've chased over the last year has re-signed at their own club or had been lured elsewhere, supposedly management are filthy that the Hawks have ****-blocked us on Barass, and he reckons that's partly our fault as ''we're not as ruthless as some other clubs when trying to chase players'' (Bevo doesn't meet with oppo players during the season unlike some other coaches).

He hasn't heard any other names linked with us, and expects us to drag Smith out until late in the trade period, and use those picks to pick up elite young mids in the draft. He reckons Sam Power is one of the best negotiators in the league and several clubs have come knocking to get him to switch clubs but his knocked them all back.

I'll never understand the concept of keeping above-average salaried players on our list if they're just going to be playing VFL and/or used as a sub. Call me crazy but I prefer to have most of our salary cap used to maximise our best 22.

Complete hypothetical as my mind was wandering today at work.

Does Rhylee West possess all the attributes to be a lockdown defender a la Doc Duryea? His shutdown roles on some of the competitions most damaging defenders have been pretty awesome this year - how would those traits translate into the backline?

Disclaimer: By no means am I seriously suggesting we move him there - he’s had an excellent year up forward. Just food for thought.

Complete hypothetical as my mind was wandering today at work.

Does Rhylee West possess all the attributes to be a lockdown defender a la Doc Duryea? His shutdown roles on some of the competitions most damaging defenders have been pretty awesome this year - how would those traits translate into the backline?

Disclaimer: By no means am I seriously suggesting we move him there - he’s had an excellent year up forward. Just food for thought.
Would take a full season to adjust for him

I don't think he's as footy IQ as Doc mainly due to being a forward
So it would be a long term project idea

Would take a full season to adjust for him

I don't think he's as footy IQ as Doc mainly due to being a forward
So it would be a long term project idea
Not sure who would’ve played that role for us this year if Doc had gone down with injury or poor form.

Definitely an area of need for us to invest in. Is there anyone later on in the draft we could be tempted by? What’s Grego’s range?

Lads on the couch think we should be happy with pick 15 for baz

And Bolton and baker are worth 4 first rounders
Honestly it’s around the mark, he’s never shown himself to be a genuine A grader for longer than short spells, he’s coming off an ACL and he’s out of contract.

A pick 10-15 is about as much as we should expect.

Not sure who would’ve played that role for us this year if Doc had gone down with injury or poor form.

Definitely an area of need for us to invest in. Is there anyone later on in the draft we could be tempted by? What’s Grego’s range?
Cleary would be the cover for Doc I think. Not perfect like for like but he’s the closest we have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back