Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not particularly sure that's a bullet. Watson had some initial struggles in terms of accuracy but he is going to be a huge game changer. He's already having a massive impact on a successful team where small forwards tend to struggle early on.

If he was on our team he'd be playing every week and we would absolutely love him.
an extremely poor man's Flea Weightman

Because we're too nice and aren't proactive enough. We wait until players get pushed out of the best 23 or enter free agency to move them on.
True but we held onto Dunkley for an extra year and made the 2021 GF and he was a large part of that.
If we had traded him out with years on his contract we might have got an extra pick but not played in that GF.

Then its best not to think about what we did with pick 11 in the 2006 draft or who was available 2 picks later...

Yep, picking Everitt with J. Reiwoldt 2 picks later when we were screaming out for a key forward still baffles me. All clubs have them, but that was a bad one.

In fact our 1st round recruiting from 06-09 was Essendon level bad Everitt, Grant, A.Cordy and Howard :oops:

Well we can send him to Hawks, Norf, Saints, or Suns.

Ah, no we can't. We won't send anyone anywhere. Assuming Smith IS leaving. HE'LL nominate a club and Power will work with that club to get a deal done.

It's the same process 99% of the time every year. And no amount of posturing on BF is going to change that. 😉

People don’t realise that in 3 years, we are going to be praying to Sam Power that we drafted Sanders. He’s an inside bull which we don’t need yet, but he will be significantly more valuable to the team than Watson, whether you think he’s a good prospect or a dud.

We’ve hit the broken clock moment.

I assume you will now resume regular programming of talking nonsense?

Been looking everywhere for the end of 2018 wash up clip done by Lloydy and Barrett where Lloyd says Libba is cooked and wouldn't get a game for Essendon.
I painfully watched the whole thing.

No mention of Libba being cooked. Maybe another year?

I think watson would have been better for us the next couple of years as someone stated above, but once libba and treloar slow down, he will be the one we need

Ive got no problem taking Sanders over Watson from a role POV - the midfield was/is dad's army territory without depth of much quality.

My worry is Watson playing the next 14 years for the Hawks, while Sanders goes to Tassie in 3 years time and us getting a mid 1st round pick in compo.

Interesting message that has been past my way.

''Don't be surprised if you hear about the Dogs putting a large offer to Josh Rachele and/or Cam Rayner this off season. Dogs are in the market for a very damaging HHF who can play mid and float forward to kick goals - Power is sounding out both players management to see if either would be interested''

Not a usual source, so take it with a grain of salt.

''Don't be surprised if you hear about the Dogs putting a large offer to Josh Rachele and/or Cam Rayner this off season. Dogs are in the market for a very damaging HHF who can play mid and float forward to kick goals - Power is sounding out both players management to see if either would be interested''

The part that makes me most nervous about this is the "and" in "and/or".

How the **** are we pulling that off, if we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m taking Rachele over Rayner every day of the week. Rayner has put together 6 good weeks of footy in 7 years.
Top 5 in the B&F last year and still only 24. He's been playing a tough role well for some time now. That 18+ months of good, consistent form will appeal to coaches more than the 6 weeks that the fans have seen.

Rachelle said in an interview today that he will be an Adelaide player next year. Things can change but I'd be
(pleasantly) surprised if he left.

Top 5 in the B&F last year and still only 24. He's been playing a tough role well for some time now. That 18+ months of good, consistent form will appeal to coaches more than the 6 weeks that the fans have seen.
In a team that made the grand final no less. He's been fantastic for a while now, his style of play lends itself to having quiet games, and unfortunately that can skew opinions which is fair enough.

What annoys me, is that it was rumored Geelong were in Smiths year last year, but they came out and flat out denied it. It is becoming more and more clear now, that is was all spin to save face from them. He has clearly been linked to them for the most part of this year as well, and they are the rumored hot favorites now.

And they think they can offer up their crappy late teens pick, or less, like a bunch of nothing packaged picks, according to some of their fans. Like he is some kind of cheap give away to them.

Sorry, but if you're contacting contracted players at other clubs mid season (2023), and been in their ear the whole time since. Especially vulnerable ones with mental health issues, because its probably easier to get them second guessing. "hey mate, heard you're depressed, you should think about coming to us, its all rainbows and unicorns down here in Geelong.". It is pretty low taking advantage of players when they are in a dark period, in my opinion. But since they have likely been in his ear for two seasons now. They need to pay up accordingly. Not expecting two first round picks. But he is still worth a decent first round pick at least.

I doubt Smith started shopping himself around on his own accord. I reckon the Cats are the ones that came to him first two years ago, unsettled him and have been pushing to get him since. Teams who do that, should be made to cough up.

Personally I want him to stay. We need more pace, run and carry in the midfield. He is already developed compared to drafting another kid. His kicking is no worse than most of the current team.

Last edited:
Geelong demanded Two first round picks for 26 year old and out of contract Tim Kelly that would be my start point if I was Power

Geelong demanded Two first round picks for 26 year old and out of contract Tim Kelly that would be my start point if I was Power
I like the optimism but Kelly was far better than Smith ever was, and whilst he was 2 years older, wasn’t coming off a knee. It’s unrealistic to use that as a comparison.

Hindsight, but Stringer.

Does Treloar count for a trade in? A-grader for a bunch of picks and $300k contract contribution as well.

Treloar is about it. I can't think of another time where we've got full value or made out like bandits in a trade. We always seems to be the ones over a barrel or being held to ransom and having to accept the scraps on offer.

As supporters we're condition to it, you can see it with the 'we're not getting that' comments.

Sam power will ask for 2 first round picks for Smith if he asks for a trade and he won't stray from that

I like the optimism but Kelly was far better than Smith ever was, and whilst he was 2 years older, wasn’t coming off a knee. It’s unrealistic to use that as a comparison.

I’m starting to think Bald is a Geelong supporter in disguise.

Baz is without a doubt worth two late firsts, or one pick around 10-12.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back