Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Irrelevant now but Watson would have been a much better fit for us this year and next than Sanders.

I wasn’t talking about not getting Sanders, i’m saying we knew Smith was leaving last year and the Hawks were very keen. If we made the call and traded Smith last year, we could have had Watson and Sanders.

We got great value from the Treloar (especially), Keath and Bruce trades. Strengthened the team considerably. Was certainly a great early part of Sam Power's career.

We got shafted in the Dunkley deal and it will probably be a similar story for Baz.

You can't expect to walk away from every trade being the clear winner (lest you become the Dodo), nor can you always expect to keep up and coming young mids that aren't happy on a team with a deep midfield.

That being said, losing Baz and Dunkley for underwhelming returns will warrant Power striking back, nab a starting level player from somewhere else. We have clear deficiencies, we can't make up our mind as to which VFL journeyman gets one of the wings and McNeil/VDM have held their spots largely due to lack of competition. We need to level the score a bit and poach a ready made contributor.

Hindsight, but Stringer.

Does Treloar count for a trade in? A-grader for a bunch of picks and $300k contract contribution as well.
We definitely did not sell high for Stringer. Bevo actively reduced his value by airing dirty laundry and confirming he would be traded. We should have at least got the pick the Bombres used on Shiel.

whether you think he’s a good prospect

Sanders becomes the modern Libba getting the ball to Ed, that hard nut defensive mid line breaking style, on to a Bont/Adz kicking long i5o to a lead from Darcy, JUH, Astro

The thing is we never seem to have leverage.

When was the last time we extracted full value let alone over the odds for a player leaving the club?

Never happens. Some clubs get it, we never do. Why?

I feel it’s because we’re too optimistic that we can change players minds. We allow situations to tick along to the point where all power sits with player, manager and other clubs rather than us being decisive early while we still have some dominion in the situation.

When Smith didn’t commit last year, we should have actively pushed for trade options. English and Juh the same. If we want you and are committed to you, either you reciprocate in turn of we need go to scope the market while we have some leverage.

Interesting message that has been past my way.

''Don't be surprised if you hear about the Dogs putting a large offer to Josh Rachele and/or Cam Rayner this off season. Dogs are in the market for a very damaging HHF who can play mid and float forward to kick goals - Power is sounding out both players management to see if either would be interested''

Not a usual source, so take it with a grain of salt.

If we miss out on both, would very happily draft Hotton. Berry would also be very nice.

We definitely did not sell high for Stringer. Bevo actively reduced his value by airing dirty laundry and confirming he would be traded. We should have at least got the pick the Bombres used on Shiel.
I don't think Bevo was letting slip anything that the AFL industry didn't already know or wouldn't very shortly find out about Stringer.

You can't keep that sort of stuff under wraps long and I think Bevo was effectively just saying to supporters of the club that whatever talent Stringer had displayed to that point, the club had to punt him.

There were always going to be clubs prepared to overlook his transgressions and give him a second chance and Essendon are always one of those clubs with problematic players.

Geelong demanded Two first round picks for 26 year old and out of contract Tim Kelly that would be my start point if I was Power
spot on but I doubt we will get anything like that for Smith... does anyone know the intricate details of the Kelly deal as that is a great snapshot of ability V trade value

I like the optimism but Kelly was far better than Smith ever was, and whilst he was 2 years older, wasn’t coming off a knee. It’s unrealistic to use that as a comparison.
All good I don’t believe the gap in talent is that big if smith can get back to his best and The ACL shouldn’t have any effect on his trade value if they are will to pay him a million plus

I don't think Bevo was letting slip anything that the AFL industry didn't already know or wouldn't very shortly find out about Stringer.

You can't keep that sort of stuff under wraps long and I think Bevo was effectively just saying to supporters of the club that whatever talent Stringer had displayed to that point, the club had to punt him.

There were always going to be clubs prepared to overlook his transgressions and give him a second chance and Essendon are always one of those clubs with problematic players.
In the end, the Bombers were the only club prepared to take him.

Collingwood were very interested initially, but pulled out.

Interestingly, they did so shortly after Moyd arrived at the club as an assistant coach.

All good I don’t believe the gap in talent is that big if smith can get back to his best and The ACL shouldn’t have any effect on his trade value if they are will to pay him a million plus
I don't think the gap in talent is big at all, in fact on pure talent it's possible Bailey Smith has more.

But it's about output and runs on the board, Tim Kelly had an All Australian year the year he was traded, he was a year older in that year than Bailey is now and obviously Bailey has missed the season with an ACL but these are just all reasons why they're not really comparable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consdering the output of Stringer in '16 & '17, what the industry absolutely would have known about him already, and the output of Stringer for every season since, getting 25 and 30 for him WAS us making out like absolute bandits.

Bloke's been dogshit for creeping up on a decade.

Consdering the output of Stringer in '16 & '17, what the industry absolutely would have known about him already, and the output of Stringer for every season since, getting 25 and 30 for him WAS us making out like absolute bandits.

Bloke's been dogshit for creeping up on a decade.
Correct. Had only 1 good season in 2021 and that was it. Dogs turned that into Richards.

McClure the flog suggests tonight Petracca is still potentially going to ask for a trade. Still remote chance, but possible.

Surprise surprise says only one club in the mix and guess who? The club he supports. Carlton. 🙄

What were we saying at one point about media hacks pushing the barrow of the clubs they support and/or the 'big clubs'...

Hindsight, but Stringer.

Does Treloar count for a trade in? A-grader for a bunch of picks and $300k contract contribution as well.
Treloar wasn't even traded for a bunch of picks. He was given to us with a cherry on top.

We traded out pick 14 and a F2 (pick 38) for Treloar and picks 26, 33 and 42. Collingwood's picks that they sent us alongside Treloar were worth more in draft points (1687) than what we gave back to them (1626).

They effectively handed him and the equivalent of pick 68 to us for no cost, and paid a third of his salary on top. It's got to be one of the greatest trade results of all time.

The thing is we never seem to have leverage.

When was the last time we extracted full value let alone over the odds for a player leaving the club?

Never happens. Some clubs get it, we never do. Why?
Treloar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back