Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d love us to have a crack at leek aleer from gws . Could be gettable for a 2nd rounder
He’s not a good kick and really think you should only carry one non-rebounder in the back 6. Not everyone needs to be Bailey Dale but far out Keath and Gardy sideways passing to each other regularly killed any forward momentum.

I think Aleer is not a bad shout but probably more likely at the end of 2025 if Jones if fading and depending on the progression of Buss, if Lobb continues at CHB and where we are developing Croft.

Firstly thank you Mutt for your moderation.

For the first time in my living memory all we really need is some development in current players on the list and we have no real weaknesses to be top 4.

Re signing what we have should be a priority. However if we get a Trealor like opportunity go for it.

Otherwise hit the draft whether Smith stays or not. It is funny though, as long as there is no destructive breakdown, the best club for Smith to grow develop and have success, he is already at. Him choosing to leave would purely be a reflection of himself, and I hope he is not that person

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d love us to have a crack at leek aleer from gws . Could be gettable for a 2nd rounder
Leek for only a 2nd rounder, that would be a great trade, have the plastics indicated they are open to moving him?
Is a 2nd rounder realistic, ours will be near pick 30( I haven't seen how many f/s or academy picks are in)

Leek for only a 2nd rounder, that would be a great trade, have the plastics indicated they are open to moving him?
Is a 2nd rounder realistic, ours will be near pick 30( I haven't seen how many f/s or academy picks are in)

They would want something better then a 2nd rounder I'd think. They are likely losing Cumming, Perrymen and it seems Haynes is about buggered. Losing another backmen not yet in his prime is a poor move unless they get a good deal.

Aleer isn’t a bad shout, I think we need to bridge our key defender age gap either this year or next. Lobb 32 Jones 34, then JOD/Buss/Croft all young and mostly unproven

I have been thinking that the Bulldogs and Bevo in particular have not really put a foot wrong when we push out players. The fact we are not increasing our offer to Baz, makes me think he is ever so gently being pushed out. I always get alarmed that our players are going to strengthen the opposition, but in reflection no one since Lake has done that.

1. Stringer we let go, the competition said we were mad, and he went for will under for two second round picks. Fact: He never helped Essendon win a final, and in fact the final they played against us, our players targeted him.
  2. Young - Blues supporters did the early crow. Fact: he is not in their best 22 and has not improved since he left.
  3. Lipinski has achieved success at Collingwood, and good on him, squeezed out of a good midfield with us, but who would you take out of our side to put him in? That’s not to say, we could have done with him in the team last year.
  4. Dunkley, we obviously didn’t want to lose and he helped Brisbane get in to a GF, which they lost, and lost the return game even though Collingwood haven’t made finals. His career is not reaching the heights it did with us, and if Brisbane don’t get to a GF this year, it would be a reasonable assertion that they will start to decline, although they have some great kids and f/s coming through.
  5. Hunter and Schache, apparently it was a players decision for Hunter, and not so much Bevo, but what a disaster for Melbourne. Schache had the pip from not getting enough games with us, and Melbourne promised him the world, he was delisted last week with the grand total of 2.5 games, one as sub.
  6. Dahlhaus- was offered a low contract and Geelong swooped, however he was past his best and never really improved Geelong.
So Baz, what we can glean, he is high maintenance, his mental health often leads to some poor decision making, he does seem lovely as a person. Bevo has always publicly supported him and gone into bat for him more than once. He is a star off field, with Instagram, a pin up for girls (and boys), has good pace, poor kicking, and loves playing in big games. I think a team player, plays where he has to, without complaining, Baz is supposed to have complained about not playing the midfield (not sure if this was just a media beat up).
Is he a good fit for a dour Geelong outfit, with little star power, an ageing Danger, and good but not great kids? No Bont, to take the attention of the best player? Time will tell, but I don’t feel so threatened by his move to Geelong as I initially did. In Bevo and Power we trust.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been thinking that the Bulldogs and Bevo in particular have not really put a foot wrong when we push out players. The fact we are not increasing our offer to Baz, makes me think he is ever so gently being pushed out. I always get alarmed that our players are going to strengthen the opposition, but in reflection no one since Lake has done that.

1. Stringer we let go, the competition said we were mad, and he went for will under for two second round picks. Fact: He never helped Essendon win a final, and in fact the final they played against us, our players targeted him.
  2. Young - Blues supporters did the early crow. Fact: he is not in their best 22 and has not improved since he left.
  3. Lipinski has achieved success at Collingwood, and good on him, squeezed out of a good midfield with us, but who would you take out of our side to put him in? That’s not to say, we could have done with him in the team last year.
  4. Dunkley, we obviously didn’t want to lose and he helped Brisbane get in to a GF, which they lost, and lost the return game even though Collingwood haven’t made finals. His career is not reaching the heights it did with us, and if Brisbane don’t get to a GF this year, it would be a reasonable assertion that they will start to decline, although they have some great kids and f/s coming through.
  5. Hunter and Schache, apparently it was a players decision for Hunter, and not so much Bevo, but what a disaster for Melbourne. Schache had the pip from not getting enough games with us, and Melbourne promised him the world, he was delisted last week with the grand total of 2.5 games, on as sub.
  6. Dahlhaus- was offered a low contract and Geelong swooped, however he was past his best and never really improved Geelong.
So Baz, what we can glean, he is high maintenance, his mental health often leads to some poor decision making, he does seem lovely as a person. Bevo has always publicly supported him and gone into bat for him more than once. He is a star off field, with Instagram, a pin up for girls (and boys), has good pace, poor kicking, and loves playing in big games. I think a team player, plays where he has to, without complaining, Baz is supposed to have complained about not playing the midfield (not sure if this was just a media beat up).
Is he a good fit for a dour Geelong outfit, with little star power, an ageing Danger, and good but not great kids? No Bont, to take the attention of the best player? Time will tell, but I don’t feel so threatened by his move to Geelong as I initially did. In Bevo and Power we trust.

Our list management has been excellent since 2015. Can’t fault us at all. We draft well and we’ve removed players who don’t fit in with club culture. At the time everyone was going crazy over losing Hunter - look where he is now.

He was a top 10 pick that has played some elite football for large portions of his career. I think he’ll do very well as a full-time inside mid, with his prime years ahead of him. If they are Geelong’s picks, then we should be getting two 1sts, given one of them will be in the late teens this year, and maybe the other too.

Dunkley, we obviously didn’t want to lose and he helped Brisbane get in to a GF, which they lost, and lost the return game even though Collingwood haven’t made finals. His career is not reaching the heights it did with us, and if Brisbane don’t get to a GF this year, it would be a reasonable assertion that they will start to decline, although they have some great kids and f/s coming through.

Swings and roundabouts with Dunkley, while his defensive mid capabilities left a short term hole that opened the door for Ed to step in which he has done so, arguably could say even better

5. Hunter and Schache, apparently it was a players decision for Hunter, and not so much Bevo, but what a disaster for Melbourne. Schache had the pip from not getting enough games with us, and Melbourne promised him the world, he was delisted last week with the grand total of 2.5 games, on as sub.

I do think you are underselling Dunkley and Lipinski both would be in our best 23. They probably replace Gallagher and one of Daniel or Macrae.

The rest I agree with.

The Dunkley and Lipinski ones we didn’t really want to lose and I think the fact we lost them led to us trading up to get sanders as it left us with a big gap in midfielders especially those under 28.

But the silver lining is if we don’t lose them we don’t end up with Sanders who I really rate, Freija who should never leave the team again and we got Arty Jones

It played out just before Bevo joined, but Higgins didn’t fall off a cliff like Cooney and Griff who left in the same window. I reckon Bevo could have made good use of him even if there was no shortage of FIGJAM there.

We took Toby McLean at our natural 2nd round pick and Lukas Webb with the compensation pick for Higgins but if we just tell ourselves we wouldn’t have taken McLean without that extra pick then it turns out ok.

I do think you are underselling Dunkley and Lipinski both would be in our best 23. They probably replace Gallagher and one of Daniel or Macrae.

The rest I agree with.

The Dunkley and Lipinski ones we didn’t really want to lose and I think the fact we lost them led to us trading up to get sanders as it left us with a big gap in midfielders especially those under 28.

But the silver lining is if we don’t lose them we don’t end up with Sanders who I really rate, Freija who should never leave the team again and we got Arty Jones
Lipinski is cream on top if you can carry his lack of speed and pressure. Sublime skills.

It is a good post in my opinion.

We manage our list as all the good clubs do. This is not something we have always done, and were often the destination for other clubs cast offs. I know in the not too distant past we were playing VFL grade players constantly over potential AFL grade but hopefully we have moved on from this with the new coaching structure.

Many of the above mentioned were surplus to requirements, or unsuitable to the club's culture.

The rest I agree with.

Gags is in the team for speed Lippa has none he wouldn’t be in our best 23

Yeah I don't think Lipinski would be in the team at the moment. He's not taking midfield minutes off Bont, Treloar, Libba or Richards and we are prioritising pace with the half forward rotations (hence Macrae and Daniel playing less).
At Collingwood he is playing a wing role now. So would he play over truck & gags?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back