Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Morris running with a Victorian Club has offered zmac Andrew $12m over 8 years

That would be insane
I remember when a few fans on here were having a crack at our Naughton contract. I'll take seven years for less than a million per year thanks.

Wingard retires. I was all for him at the time, glad he didn't pick us.

The classy left-footer was named an All-Australian in 2013 and 2015 but couldn’t recapture those matchwinning highs and after kicking 38 goals in 2016, didn’t bag more than 24 in any of his next eight AFL seasons.

Jeez, we've missed out on so many trades we were keen on that would've been utterly terrible for us and our list build.

1725251682543.png

Geelong is a direct competitor. We should not entertain a situation where they drastically improve their list if they aren't meeting our asking price (hopefully 2 1sts is what Sam has in mind). Otherwise, more comfortable sending him to Richmond if he doesn't sign the 2 year deal.

I think this will come into focus if we win this week and play them next week and lose.
Reckon we should ship him off to Richmond for a 1st this year (they should have a few with their looming trades) and next year's 1st. And then trade them both to Port for Butters.

Geelong is a direct competitor. We should not entertain a situation where they drastically improve their list if they aren't meeting our asking price (hopefully 2 1sts is what Sam has in mind). Otherwise, more comfortable sending him to Richmond if he doesn't sign the 2 year deal.

I think this will come into focus if we win this week and play them next week and lose.

Im not so sure we have to take just about anything.

Geelong has put work into Smith, there is an expectation he is coming to them, and they have planned around it and may not have a plan B for improving their midfield.

Lets say old shark eyes simply doesnt blink - right down to the wire. Do they shrug to smith and say "sorry mate, we wernt interested in paying a fair price for you - bye' I doubt it

but that depends on us not blinking

Im not so sure we have to take just about anything.

Geelong has put work into Smith, there is an expectation he is coming to them, and they have planned around it and may not have a plan B for improving their midfield.

Lets say old shark eyes simply doesnt blink - right down to the wire. Do they shrug to smith and say "sorry mate, we wernt interested in paying a fair price for you - bye' I doubt it

but that depends on us not blinking
Sam Power has ice in his veins.
I don't think we get the 2 first rounders for Smith we want though

Wingard retires. I was all for him at the time, glad he didn't pick us.

The classy left-footer was named an All-Australian in 2013 and 2015 but couldn’t recapture those matchwinning highs and after kicking 38 goals in 2016, didn’t bag more than 24 in any of his next eight AFL seasons.
Thanks Hawthorn saved us from an expensive mistake.

If we have the option,

Building our Key back stock is still important

Player like Sam Collins or Sam Frost would be handy (cheap) pick ups

I think any club that offers big money and 6 year deal for Smith coming off and ACL is crazy. He may get back to 2021 form and there is a big chance he will not. If Sam can get pick around 5 to 8 I would be taken it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we have the option,

Building our Key back stock is still important

Player like Sam Collins or Sam Frost would be handy (cheap) pick ups
But they are probably demanding regular inclusion at the price. Who are they putting out? Lobb, Jones or JOD .... with the next Buss just around the corner. Plus Croft developing and Gards as the break glass. I think we're kinda OK for KPD depth at the moment.

Duryea's replacement is probably more pressing and trumping them all is Butters or a Butters clone.

I'm not so sure about our key defensive stocks as much as others around here

Jones and Lobb are both older than 30.

No guarantee Lobb's form continues plus we may need him forward/ruck as we did for one game since he went back.

I've posted a few times here I don't think Jones, while a good and capable average AFL key defender, is not the outstanding player we think he is, and diving deeper into the stats our midfield game is helping us defensively more than the key defenders.

Busslinger is both more of a ball user than pure stopper and is also yet to play an AFL game too. There were many claiming that Kieran Collins was a future key defender before playing a game.

Gardner and Keath may have to be on the list in 2025 due to depth but should not be getting a game.

Croft a project player that reads more as KPD.

O'Donnell is better as a utility defender offering some mobility and drive rather than matching up on the biggest key forwards... and it still not necessarily projected to be a star anyway.

Players can change their position (ie Keath went from winning a Showdown medal at the Crows as a rebounded to bulking up and matching up against Hawkins for us) but other than a mid-forward role (why we're after Rachele/Rayner) to upgrade toe Vandermeer/McNeil roles I do think we need to target a key defender.

Hypothetical - what if English went down and we first rucked Lobb and Jones got an old man soft tissue injury? Would people be happy playing Keath and a debutante Busslinger this week?

Hypothetical - what if English went down and we first rucked Lobb and Jones got an old man soft tissue injury? Would people be happy playing Keath and a debutante Busslinger this week?
I'd love another KPD on the list, but I dare say JOD/Khamis would be the first pairing with Keath a 'maybe' and Coffield the nominal 3rd/chop-out role if it was this week.

Buss looks good at VFL level and should be in the frame for a few senior AFL games next year. Croft seems a fair way back and won't be a depth option even next year - we'd probably look at Gardiner as a 'break glass' option.

I'd love another KPD on the list, but I dare say JOD/Khamis would be the first pairing with Keath a 'maybe' and Coffield the nominal 3rd/chop-out role if it was this week.

Buss looks good at VFL level and should be in the frame for a few senior AFL games next year. Croft seems a fair way back and won't be a depth option even next year - we'd probably look at Gardiner as a 'break glass' option.
But this is precisely my point - that would create a weak team that just wouldn't be present if we lost multiple players within one positions in other positions.

We managed when we lost Treloar, Libba etc. this season

But this is precisely my point - that would create a weak team that just wouldn't be present if we lost multiple players within one positions in other positions.

We managed when we lost Treloar, Libba etc. this season
I was kind of agreeing as I do want another for next year, but I'm not sure there's any team in the comp that copes well with losing 2 first-choice KPDs.

Hawks were panicking when they lost Blanck and he's just a pup. Swans have played Aaron Francis at times. Brisbane don't have much if one of Andrews/Paine go down, etc.

I'm not overly convinced by our ruck depth either if Lobb counts as a KPD as well and Darcy is also our most exciting young KPF.

I think Buss is going to surprise a few with how ready he is next year. A genuine full back that you also want the ball in his hands = gold.

JOD is great. Croft developing. Khamis, Coff and Williams can all play 3rd if needed. Another developing KPD makes sense but it's not bad. Gards too if really needed

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back