Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand trepidations with DFAs. But the thing about guys like MacPherson and even our own DFAs in Baker, Poulter, Bramble etc is clubs in contention don’t want the bottom end of their list filled with 18 year olds that aren’t able to compete if needed.

We can pay the above guys 150k a year and know that they can come in and be an okay 18-23 ranked player in the squad and fill a hole short term. Best case scenario they kick on like Bramble. Worst case they do one or two years and get delisted.

Developing 3-4 18yr old draftees still happens most years but we can’t top up with that age group too heavily or you gut your list of playable depth.

Agree with this. The balance just needs to be right in terms of DFA v draftees and moving them on once they stop getting a regular look in. E.g. Scott and Keath are at that point now (imo) and Baker will be end of next year if he only plays another handful of games. Better to roll the arm over with another DFA in their place with different attributes or in a different position who might get a regular gig, like Baker last year or Bramble this year.

Nathan O’Driscoll still unsigned despite three extensions announced by Freo today.
Port interested in him now too.

Wouldn't read too much into today though. Going off one of your guys he only just re-entered contract talks with us in the last week or so. All the other guys announced today were finalised weeks, even months ago. And a couple more that have already been reported (Reidy, Voss) haven't been announced either.

It’s a part of life that doesn’t get the credit it deserves in terms of the impact on the players who are human like the rest of us. Our second has been a poor sleeper and it wipes you out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We’ve had 2 from 3 crap sleepers - the oldest is now 15 and sleeps like a baby should 😜

They are all great sleepers now

He was a shit sleeper until he was 3….would sit on his floor for hours to help him get to sleep, you’d creep out and he’d wake up again. My wife would do the same all day and he’d just go down and shed make herself a cup of tea and he’d be awake after 30 mins….she was wrung out completely. We found out later that he has ASD and is also in the top 2-3% of intelligence so his little brain was going non stop….just about killed us…its amazing he has siblings 😂

We’ve had 2 from 3 crap sleepers - the oldest is now 15 and sleeps like a baby should 😜

He was a shit sleeper until he was 3….would sit on his floor for hours to help him get to sleep, you’d creep out and he’d wake up again. My wife would do the same all day and he’d just go down and shed make herself a cup of tea and he’d be awake after 30 mins….she was wrung out completely. We found out later that he has ASD and is also in the top 2-3% of intelligence so his little brain was going non stop….just about killed us…its amazing he has siblings 😂

That's weird. I'm in the top 0.3% for intelligence and I've always been a big sleeper. My mother used to say I needed the extra sleep to recharge my brain because it works harder than most people when it's fired up. I've definitely noticed that on the days when I've been thinking very deep thoughts I'll need an extra hour or two of sleep that night.

We’ve had 2 from 3 crap sleepers - the oldest is now 15 and sleeps like a baby should

He was a shit sleeper until he was 3….would sit on his floor for hours to help him get to sleep, you’d creep out and he’d wake up again. My wife would do the same all day and he’d just go down and shed make herself a cup of tea and he’d be awake after 30 mins….she was wrung out completely. We found out later that he has ASD and is also in the top 2-3% of intelligence so his little brain was going non stop….just about killed us…its amazing he has siblings

Some of that sounds very familiar! It just wrecks you. I honestly don’t know how a professional footballer could possibly perform at their best without adequate rest.

Cleary lucky / smart to snag that 2 year extension last year...
He's the kind of cheap depth I don't mind on the list, although we probably didn't expect Freijah to be so good so early

He's the kind of cheap depth I don't mind on the list, although we probably didn't expect Freijah to be so good so early

True, when it comes to nut crunch times for list spots and you were choosing between Clarke, Cleary and Bedendo with maybe the ability to only keep one, it would be discussion at the very least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand trepidations with DFAs. But the thing about guys like MacPherson and even our own DFAs in Baker, Poulter, Bramble etc is clubs in contention don’t want the bottom end of their list filled with 18 year olds that aren’t able to compete if needed.

We can pay the above guys 150k a year and know that they can come in and be an okay 18-23 ranked player in the squad and fill a hole short term. Best case scenario they kick on like Bramble. Worst case they do one or two years and get delisted.

Developing 3-4 18yr old draftees still happens most years but we can’t top up with that age group too heavily or you gut your list of playable depth.
I also think teams having (or projecting) sustained success are drafting too many kids when there is no obvious path to the senior team for them.

Next year we’re already going to have Sanders, Buss and Croft as former first rounders pushing for a spot or still in the VFL, plus Clarke as an early-ish pick, plus Freijah, Gags and A.Jones all under 21. Add to that potentially Coffield and Harmes as mature depth.

Assuming we get a mid-late first for Smith, even with the supposed depth of this draft, I’d be completely fine live trading that pick back into 2025 on draft night when you always get overs.

Agree with this. The balance just needs to be right in terms of DFA v draftees and moving them on once they stop getting a regular look in. E.g. Scott and Keath are at that point now (imo) and Baker will be end of next year if he only plays another handful of games. Better to roll the arm over with another DFA in their place with different attributes or in a different position who might get a regular gig, like Baker last year or Bramble this year.

I'd prefer to look at drafting mature agers over DFA myself. Sam Clohesy and Shaun Mannaugh were two mature age options I was a fan of last year which would've been at the expense of Bramble and Poulter. Interesting to see which have better careers, Bramble has certainly surprised.

Riley Bice a half back flanker from Weribbee would be my pick for this year for what it's worth. Added bonus his name is Riley.

Some of that sounds very familiar! It just wrecks you. I honestly don’t know how a professional footballer could possibly perform at their best without adequate rest.

It was hard enough for a greenkeeper 😂

Liam Picken had 3 very young kids and I read that before game day he would sleep in a room at the other end of the house so he could get a full night’s rest.

It’s probably quite common for professional sportspeople to do that.

Think it'll be Keath, JJ, & Bendendo not offered new contracts so far. That's the 3 minimum for the draft atm. Smith leaving leaves a spot open to bring someone in.

Think it'll be Keath, JJ, & Bendendo not offered new contracts so far. That's the 3 minimum for the draft atm. Smith leaving leaves a spot open to bring someone in.
I think JJ gets a year. Maybe Keath goes one more year. Love him around the club.
Bendendo looks in trouble and have heard Rypstra won’t be offered an extension. I find that tough for the young man. Two hammys after a big injury probably tells the club his body won’t hold up.

I think JJ gets a year. Maybe Keath goes one more year. Love him around the club.
Bendendo looks in trouble and have heard Rypstra won’t be offered an extension. I find that tough for the young man. Two hammys after a big injury probably tells the club his body won’t hold up.
Keath looks done. He was ordinary in the final against Lions in the VFL. JJ might get another go but his injuries over the last 2 seasons have took him out for large chunks. His body doesn't look to be holding on. I agree on Ryp which is a shame.

Keath looks done. He was ordinary in the final against Lions in the VFL. JJ might get another go but his injuries over the last 2 seasons have took him out for large chunks. His body doesn't look to be holding on. I agree on Ryp which is a shame.
I think Keath and JJ both retire. Clarke gets one more, Khamis either stays for two or leaves for three. Mcniel and Duryea get one more each as Rookies.

Going by a few "links" so far in this thread. It sounds like the Dogs might be targeting some more speed on the squad still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back