Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Super important draft & trade period for us. Don’t think the scope for internal improvement is very high.

We need forwards that have forward nous and aren’t just repurposed wingmen, and defenders that can defend first and aren’t flighty half back types.

Another midfielder to replace Smith is also a must.

He did this about a month ago, can't remember which game exactly but he gave Weightman an absolute spray for kicking it to someone else and not him. He's been off kilter ever since
Yeah I've seen over the course of the year he's more openly baking his teammates and overall looks incredibly grumpy all the time.

It's a pity he did his knee. The scrutiny on him while not playing has been even more intense :(
There would be less scrutiny if he wasn't holding the club hostage. If he wants to stay then sign a contract, or if he wants to leave just tell everyone so no one has to dissect every move he makes trying to figure it out for themselves.

Super important draft & trade period for us. Don’t think the scope for internal improvement is very high.

We need forwards that have forward nous and aren’t just repurposed wingmen, and defenders that can defend first and aren’t flighty half back types.

Probably have to draft for the next midfield core before Tassie come in and compromise the draft otherwise I could very easily see us doing a Nord/rich style drop off especially with how many 30+s we have and players close to that age and will be there when Tassie come in.

Probably have to draft for the next midfield core before Tassie come in and compromise the draft otherwise I could very easily see us doing a Nord/rich style drop off especially with how many 30+s we have and players close to that age and will be there when Tassie come in.
I don't get this thing about Tassie compromising the draft. Our core midfield came when GC and GWS were both compromising the draft. Yet we still got Macrae, Bont, ugh Stringer, etc.

Daniel and Macrae's $$ will be required to attract any game changing player in the next 2 years. If we want to progress, this is a must. Thankfully both have slightly increased their trade value in the last couple of months... From a late 2nd rounder to maybe an early one

Daniel and Macrae's $$ will be required to attract any game changing player in the next 2 years. If we want to progress, this is a must. Thankfully both have slightly increased their trade value in the last couple of months... From a late 2nd rounder to maybe an early one

I’d be surprised if we get anything notable for either to be honest. If they were to leave its probably future 3R with us paying some of their salary.

Macrae is 30 now, Daniel is 28 and can probably only play as a non-defending distributor off half back. I wouldn’t be happy if my team was giving away second round picks and above targeting those types

It's a pity he did his knee. The scrutiny on him while not playing has been even more intense :(
His behaviour towards the club has been nothing short of appalling. He's had a contract for 5 months and neither he or his agent have said anything. Complete disdain for the club after everything they've done for him.

I don't get this thing about Tassie compromising the draft. Our core midfield came when GC and GWS were both compromising the draft. Yet we still got Macrae, Bont, ugh Stringer, etc.
We finished at the ass end of the ladder last time another team/s came in and had an extra low pick from losing Ward to GWS. We can't just have Treloar/Libba retire, maybe have Macrae either leave or continue in his drop off and then also lose Smith and also have to remember Bont will be 30 when Tassie come in. That isn't just one player you need to draft in the next few years to cover the loss of it is the entire core midfield group.

Need to get Sanders a few more mates in the next 2/3 years that are A graders.

When looking at whether we will have internal improvement or not, it's important I think to look at the ground in parts.

There should absolutely be optimism around our forward line improving internally purely because every player that started forward for us in 2024 on a consistent basis is under 25 (talking Naughton, JUH, Darcy, Weightman and West).

I also think Ryley Sanders will play consistently in 2025 which helps our midfield (though everyone else being a year older probably brings that back to a neutral position), then there's Jedd Busslinger who I think will be very good (though again, hard to have huge scope here).

When looking at whether we will have internal improvement or not, it's important I think to look at the ground in parts.

There should absolutely be optimism around our forward line improving internally purely because every player that started forward for us in 2024 on a consistent basis is under 25 (talking Naughton, JUH, Darcy, Weightman and West).

I also think Ryley Sanders will play consistently in 2025 which helps our midfield (though everyone else being a year older probably brings that back to a neutral position), then there's Jedd Busslinger who I think will be very good (though again, hard to have huge scope here).
Its just amazing to me that Busslinger wasn't even tried when we had major problems in the Key Defender area early in the season. To the point where we tried Lobb there before Busslinger kinda says alot about how Bevo rates him tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We finished at the ass end of the ladder last time another team/s came in and had an extra low pick from losing Ward to GWS. We can't just have Treloar/Libba retire, maybe have Macrae either leave or continue in his drop off and then also lose Smith and also have to remember Bont will be 30 when Tassie come in. That isn't just one player you need to draft in the next few years to cover the loss of it is the entire core midfield group.

Need to get Sanders a few more mates in the next 2/3 years that are A graders.

Assuming Sanders doesn't also depart to Tassie like Ward to GWS.

Seems unlikely... atm.

I said this end of last year but we need to stop hanging on to this current generation and do a proper quick rebuild. Love Macrae and Daniel but we should see what we can get back for them. Move on Scott, Gardner, Keath and Duryea - possibly JJ depending on his body. We'll suffer for a year or two but I'd rather that if it means we can become a proper contender.

2027 we could easily be back in finals with a refreshed side something like:
Bramble (29) - Busslinger (23) - TBC
Freijah (21) - O'Donnell (25) - Dale (31)
Williams (29) - Sanders (22) - TBC
Darcy (24) - Naughton (27) - TBC
Weightman (26) - JUH (25) - West (27)
English (30) - Bont (31) - Richards (28)

Think our main focuses should be all around pace. A quick small forward to replace McNeil/Vandermeer, a small defender to replace Duryea and another couple of young midfielders - I'd like to see us try West in their full-time for a bit and if he's not up to it, can stay forward.

Barrass is way overrated anyway. When you watch Weagles games you can see how much McGovern covers for him and carries the defence.
I'm far from disappointed on missing out on Barass think he is a huge risk. Just not seeing much quality in the way of KPD mature or otherwise to pick up too fill the gap

Don’t agree that the scope for internal improvement isn’t high…..

Sanders Freijah Darcy Gallagher Busslinger Croft Arty and even ODonnell (was injured a bit) are all young and showed a fair bit in different ways.

Agree with need for small forwards, another runnings mid and also need wings that can add more pace

Its just amazing to me that Busslinger wasn't even tried when we had major problems in the Key Defender area early in the season. To the point where we tried Lobb there before Busslinger kinda says alot about how Bevo rates him tbh.

It was a little weird. Not as much the Lobb one for me, it was clear he isn’t going to play forward if the main three are fit and he is too good to be playing VFL footy. May as well chuck him back and see if it works out like it has for a lot of average forwards in the past. I can’t believe how well and how quickly he has made a name for himself back there! Was our best player by a country mile last night.

There was definitely opportunities to give him his first taste of senior footy throughout the season. Generally over his tenure Bevo is very keen to give them a taste early. His VFL form was probably the strongest of the options but we selected Coffield, Khamis and JOD at those times.

It’s clear they are playing the long game with him and making sure he is 100% ready for when the time. I don’t mind it to be honest and the fact that he re-signed when he was getting interest from back home suggests that he and his management are on board with the plan as well. Geelong did a similar thing with Sam De Koning from memory, he only played one game in his first two seasons even though there was probably opportunities at AFL level and then he obviously had a brilliant third season. Not sure if SDK looked as competent as Busslinger has looked, he probably started further back but probably had much higher upside. I would be getting concerned if Busslinger is still being overlooked in 12 months time but for now, even though I would have loved for him to dip his feet in the AFL waters, I’m more than happy with where he sits. Hoping for a R1 debut

The way Geelong handle their mature talent is elite and one of the reasons they can perform for so long.

Other than Murphy and Moyd and a late-starting Morris, we haven't had too many players last past 32yo since the Grant/Johnson/Liber snr days, with West Snr and Smith borderline at 33yo.

Hope we've got a plan for the next few years with Jones, Treloar, Bont (as he ages), Lobb, etc.

Macrae as a possible exit and Liber (how many more years?), then there's JJ, Duryea, Keath if any of them go on into or beyond next year.

Yeah think there will be improvement among the young players, but with Sanders for example it’ll be at the expense of Macrae. So more of a neutral move in terms of the team’s performance. Same with Busslinger if he comes in.

For the forward line to improve the composition needs to change. Vandermeer and McNeil just aren’t attacking threats.

His behaviour towards the club has been nothing short of appalling. He's had a contract for 5 months and neither he or his agent have said anything. Complete disdain for the club after everything they've done for him.
So you know there has been no communication

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back