Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

With it sounding like we want one good 1st rounder, I can see it being just for their future 1st. We take the risk that they have another good year, they take a risk if they drop off.

So we don’t get a pick in the supposed even super draft this year. Make Geelong better with Smith and hope they drop-off a cliff? Interesting strategy.

The only way a fair deal gets done with Bailey Smith to Geelong is if 3, 4 or more clubs are involved.

Highly doubt it will just be a deal with Geelong alone

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s pretty crazy that players like Battle and Rioli are gonna get their teams more than we get for Smith.

No issues with him going. Truely sucks how he’s handled this year. Not even trying to make it looks like he’s gonna stay.

Thank God we have Ed Richards.

Anyone else finding it a little bit funny that Dunkley left for bigger midfield opportunities, only to now be used as a tagger? 850k is big money to pay for a tagger. He can say he loves playing that role all he likes, reality is it would be a dint to that ego. I wonder what Daddy thinks.

Hopefully Smith ends up the same. I'm sure Geelong have sold him the "main man" in the midfield dream.

I don't see how we don't point to examples like Izak Rankine and Adam Cerra that both went for top 5ish picks for the framework that Smith deserves to be a top 10 pick. His future career output is not less than the expectation of the draft pick we used on him in the first place, even after accounting for the fact that his career is almost halfway done.
Rankine and Cerra nominated desperate clubs that had high picks.

Anyone else finding it a little bit funny that Dunkley left for bigger midfield opportunities, only to now be used as a tagger? 850k is big money to pay for a tagger. He can say he loves playing that role all he likes, reality is it would be a dint to that ego. I wonder what Daddy thinks.

Hopefully Smith ends up the same. I'm sure Geelong have sold him the "main man" in the midfield dream.
It is funny he has become even more anonymous since leaving and playing with less midfield responsibility but I guess Brissy just train a lot harder so he likes that. I think he’s on $750k max though which is a bargain.

Has anyone mentioned yet he has a massive modeling contract with Cotton On, who also sponsor the Geelong FC? He would be making more money off field than on it.

No surprise if he goes to geelong with a pay cut, Cotton On can make up for it by chucking an extra 500k on his contract

All totally legit of course. 😉

How much will need to be set aside for his mirror and coconut oil allowance?

It’s pretty crazy that players like Battle and Rioli are gonna get their teams more than we get for Smith.

No issues with him going. Truely sucks how he’s handled this year. Not even trying to make it looks like he’s gonna stay.

Thank God we have Ed Richards.

Revealed his true character. Happy to string the club along until his knee was right, even make some token appearances at training before spitting in the club's face. F*** him, I hope he ends up at Richmond.

Why don’t we just cool the jets and see what the Cats offer. At the end of the day the onus is on the Cats, they have been in the ear of a contracted player, to get him to ask for a trade at the end of his contract, they need to close the deal or it will put off other players nominating them in the future. They do not hold all of the cards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has there been any movement on Nathan O'Driscoll talk? I'd imagine with Smith officially requesting a trade you'd be pushing harder for him. Spoke very positively about Dogs on the radio today and really does sound like he won't be with us next year.

All we’ve heard is that there’s interest. I’d love Nathan, and it’d make sense for him to want to come here and be with his brother. Aiden’s working with us for at least the duration of his contract.

Hypothetically if one had to go and one has to stay, who would people prefer out of Caleb Daniel and Jack Macrae. Really tough, I think I lean Macrae but not 100% sure.

Honestly, I reckon it will be the Cats that he picks.

I then think the Cats will package some picks, and perhaps players to move up to a team needing draft points, in order to get a pick that will satisfy the Dogs range.

Cats will then forward that pick to the Dogs, with a pick swap or two somewhere as change.

I doubt it will be complicated and prolonged as some may think.

There are ways they can make it work. We could then use some of our latter picks to trade up as well, and potentially end with two first rounders. I'd even move our first round next year into this. This is THE right draft for us to fill the spots we need. Small forwards, small defenders and mids. The sooner we get some development in, the better.

As for the F/S, who cares? At some point the club needs to make hard calls and stock the list up, than compromise our draft hands by dipping into the FS or Academy pots. We are still in part paying for it with the Jamarra and Darcy deals.

Honestly, I reckon it will be the Cats that he picks.

I then think the Cats will package some picks, and perhaps players to move up to a team needing draft points, in order to get a pick that will satisfy the Dogs range.

Cats will then forward that pick to the Dogs, with a pick swap or two somewhere as change.

I doubt it will be complicated and prolonged as some may think.

There are ways they can make it work. We could then use some of our latter picks to trade up as well, and potentially end with two first rounders. I'd even move our first round next year into this. This is THE right draft for us to fill the spots we need. Small forwards, small defenders and mids. The sooner we get some development in, the better.

As for the F/S, who cares? At some point the club needs to make hard calls and stock the list up, than compromise our draft hands by dipping into the FS or Academy pots. We are still in part paying for it with the Jamarra and Darcy deals.
Would rather keep next years first and go after Butters. Port might be looking to trade him a year early for a better return if he’s wanting to return to Vic

Would rather keep next years first and go after Butters. Port might be looking to trade him a year early for a better return if he’s wanting to return to Vic
With the new rules, they will demand three first round picks. With an extra years trading. Very risky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back