Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

With the new rules, they will demand three first round picks. With an extra years trading. Very risky.
New rules? You mean being able to trade draft picks two years into future? Wouldn’t change the value of said pick or player. It’s also a risk for Port, if they’re unreasonable with what they ask they then potentially lose the player 12 months later for only one compensation pick.

Honestly, I reckon it will be the Cats that he picks.

I then think the Cats will package some picks, and perhaps players to move up to a team needing draft points, in order to get a pick that will satisfy the Dogs range.

Cats will then forward that pick to the Dogs, with a pick swap or two somewhere as change.

I doubt it will be complicated and prolonged as some may think.

There are ways they can make it work. We could then use some of our latter picks to trade up as well, and potentially end with two first rounders. I'd even move our first round next year into this. This is THE right draft for us to fill the spots we need. Small forwards, small defenders and mids. The sooner we get some development in, the better.

As for the F/S, who cares? At some point the club needs to make hard calls and stock the list up, than compromise our draft hands by dipping into the FS or Academy pots. We are still in part paying for it with the Jamarra and Darcy deals.
Good point on draft points.

Haven't really looked at it but which teams would be prepared to play the points game and trade a high pick to the cats for points?

Suns?

Could we end up with our original first round pick back for Smith?

I wish the worst things for Bailey, that cameras stop working, the internet crashes permanently, Cotton On is bought out by Mission, the Bellarine Penisula is swallowed up by rising sea levels, six packs become uncool and worst of all split ends 😱
Hey, lots of Doggies live in the Bellarine Peninsula.

Walking Smith to the PSD would be an extremely stupid move. Negotiate a decent trade and move on.

Exactly - zero emotion.The reality is they do not want him anyway - they have planned for this for a long time.Let’s see what transpires.There is no way they will walk him to Psd

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Professional agitator. Relies on hearsay and I doubt clubs actually tell him anything. It's all speculation which can never been proven because no club is going to go on record and say 'yeah, we're interested in or are chasing player x'
It’s hard to pick who is more despicable Morris or McClure.
Having said that……these grubs get airtime and interest due to the rumours, stories they make up, or real stories they break.
It keeps offseason interesting

It’s hard to pick who is more despicable Morris or McClure.
Having said that……these grubs get airtime and interest due to the rumours, stories they make up, or real stories they break.
It keeps offseason interesting

The real versus made up story counter for these two is about 20 for every 1.

They make up bull**** and are never held accountable. Can't wait until one or both get sued one day.

Absolute clowns both of them.

The whole thing about B&F finishes and All Australian squads is laughable. They are paying based on Baz’s potential. Exactly the same as what Freo did with Luke Jackson when out of contract.

They were playing their best football when those contracts were offered, who would of predicted such a drop off from both.
I'm not sure it's a drop off or the game evolving again to be faster where speed and pressure kills. I think CD was out form earlier in the year but I think Macraes drop is minimal it's more getting found out for lack of pace in the modern game

The whole thing about B&F finishes and All Australian squads is laughable. They are paying based on Baz’s potential. Exactly the same as what Freo did with Luke Jackson when out of contract.

It's an interesting tactic from Geelong. Downplay his value early, so the Dogs call their bluff 'well you obviously don't really want him then' and we move onto a club that not only wants him but is prepared to pay full value.

Last edited:
It is very difficult to fit Macrae, Sanders and Libba into the same side.

They are all to varying degrees effective players at a minimum but with our deficiencies we can’t carry more than one.

Libba is obviously going nowhere. We just, wisely or unwisely, used a lot on Sanders and will want to get return from that investment.

Macrae is a poor choice for a sub. Hard to see him staying but we won’t just give him away for nothing while paying some of his salary (we hope).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time on here commenting, can someone explain to me as to why Peeping Tom says Geelong’s 5+ year deal works in our favour?
Welcome aboard.

I think that Morris was making a "on the one hand Smith is worthless, and on the other hand he might be worth a little bit" type of argument. All really assuming that Geelong will get away with paying whatever they want.

I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom for next year. Don’t think Smith will be a big loss until Liber and Treloar are gone.. similar to Dunkley.

Think there’s improvement in this team with Richards and Lobb having full preseasons in their positions. Two three young forwards + Naughton should only get better. Obviously can’t expect the same output from Liber, Treloar and Jones next year with their age. Hopefully Bus and Sanders can limit the drop off. Hopefully we can use Macrae and Daniel more effectively too.

The two positions I’m worried about most are small defender. Duryea was great this year, but can’t keep relying on him to perform at his age. If he drops off I don’t see a natural replacement.

The other is English. I’m one of his biggest defenders, but there was some really hard watches this year. Some games he looks like Dean Cox, then the next week he’ll look like a D grader. No idea what to do here. Obviously they’ll back him in but it’s hard to have a ruckman that gets smashed by half the league.

It is a tough position for the club, they have to generate a deal.
They also can't get bullied in the trade either.

For future dealings with list managers, player managers etc, you can't send someone to the PSD if there is a realistic trade offer on the table. You will lose any integrity within the industry quickly.

I also do feel we are overrating Smith here. There is no way he is worth 2 firsts, regardless of how late first round they are.
I think a first rounder and maybe a later pick is about it.

Unfortunately, he didn't perform well 2023, with many on here calling for him to be dropped. Didn't perform well 2022 after the substance saga. Obviously didn't play this year with ACL injury.

I am certainly not saying is no good, he can play, but the he's body of work over the last three seasons is not ideal for trade capital.

Good point on draft points.

Haven't really looked at it but which teams would be prepared to play the points game and trade a high pick to the cats for points?

Suns?

Could we end up with our original first round pick back for Smith?
Suns are the most likely option, given they may have to pay up for Lombard with Pick 13. But they have more than enough points to cover a likely bid within that range anyway, so they may not even need to trade back. Given Lombard is only borderline top 10 at this point in time. Brisbane will likely be the best option, given the need to land Ashcroft.

But given both picks are 13 and 14, both will end up around 15-17 anyway. So they won't be THAT pick we are hoping for. But still marginally better than what Geelong could offer outright. Essendon also need points for Kako likely, but they have nothing between Pick 8 and 28 to swap with points wise. Kako won't go top 10, so they will like use pick 8 and take a points hit for Kako.

But as I said. There isn't really much options to trade up with this year. Live Draft day trading might be the best bet.

Why is Smith worth more than a pick in the 20s? His highest b&f finish is 7th, he finished 13th and 15th in his last two seasons. He can’t kick, I cannot think of a bulldogs player worse at delivering the ball inside 50 in my time watching and doesn’t run defensively which is why he wasn’t getting the midfield time he wanted.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you're offering 5 years and big money to a player, the pick value is much higher than of your chasing a fringe player on a 2 year deal on average salary.

…what? He was awesome this year.

Libba is slowing down. He's had a few knocks earlier in the year. My comment refers to the quoted poster and the need to get runs on the board for Sanders. Libba has a few years left in him, he's off the pace though.

…what? He was awesome this year.
Compared to who. He plays on ball 100% of time he is on the ground. He copped knocks this year and had an average year at best. Love Libba and what a warrior he has been, but it time to transition next year.

"awesome year" is reserved for Bont, Treloar, Warner, Heaney etc.

Libba is slowing down. He's had a few knocks earlier in the year. My comment refers to the quoted poster and the need to get runs on the board for Sanders. Libba has a few years left in him, he's off the pace though.
My worry with Libba, is that he was clearly down on his should have been AA 2023 season. If he loses any pace ahead of the new season, what do we do? He will always have the footy smarts, hardness and good disposal. But we cannot afford to be even more flat footed next season. Could we see Libba rotated a little more next year? Sanders isn't super quick, but he isn't super slow or anything either. Definitely needs to get some more games pumped into him. I can see those two rotating with each other.

2025-2026 will be the last time we see both Libba and Treloar. We need to have at least a couple of young players primed to handle a big work load come then.

The English contract worries me the most. We're stuck with one of the worst rucks in the league for the next 5 years.
Whilst I am very much not sold on English as a ruck, the reality is he is only now starting to enter a rucks prime, late 20's early 30's. It is why few clubs draft their rucks, they trade them in later when they are fully matured 7 to 8 years in the system

ppl here really harsh on Smith. Every player's dream to win premiership. Who is closer to the trophy, who's in better position to win it in next 3 years, Dogs or Cats? have your say
and I am not sold on him chasing big money, chasing longer contract, or get no spot in our mid. He's only 24 yo.no problem to earn money through sponsorships etc.., and with our aging mid, he'll slot in straightaway as onballer once he's healthy.
same like Dunks, they are young, ambitious and competitive and aware of their value/quality, they are chasing dream while they still can.. and sadly they dont see it currently at dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back