Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

My son told me that he heard Tim Watson share something on SEN this morning

Channel 7 was invited to a Bulldogs preseason camp where they were in the water I think at a beach/ocean. Players running in out of water etc etc

Channel 7 got some footage and ran with a story about Dogs preseason

Apparently Smith kicked up a fuss about the footage as he didn’t want it to be shown with him in it.

The club rang Channel 7 and asked for the footage not to be shown or edited and there was some angst from Channel 7 but they did what club had asked

Tim went on to say this is a sample of what Dogs were dealing with Smith.

Not sure if anyone else heard it

I know there’s some angst about Baz and Jacko.. but surely it’s time for change…?

Do you really want to keep watching the same thing?

2015, 2016 and the first half of 2021 we were so exciting to watch. We played fast, manic footy.

When’s the last time you felt that excitement watching this team?

Channel 7 was invited to a Bulldogs preseason camp where they were in the water I think at a beach/ocean. Players running in out of water etc etc

Apparently Smith kicked up a fuss about the footage as he didn’t want it to be shown with him in it.

The club rang Channel 7 and asked for the footage not to be shown or edited and there was some angst from Channel 7 but they did what club had asked

Yes I heard the something Tim is discussing it about 5.52 minute mark

Last edited:
Like most I'm gutted about Macrae. I honestly never thought he would leave, even despite the role change and VFL stints. He doesn't seem like the type that would want to start somewhere new, needing to meet and get comfortable around a new club. Wouldn't be an easy decision for him. Hopefully it's all been amicable.

Smith's Instagram post lol. What an absolute peice of sh$%. What's your side mate? I dIDnT get To pLaY MiDfieLd - you were well behind Bont, Treloar and Libba in first choice rotation. Plus starting and half forward and then moving into the middle once the ball in bounced, that's playing midfield. You just weren't good enough. THeY oNlY OfFereD mE 2 yeArS. Show a bit of fight and have some confidence in your own ability to dominate for 2 years and then get the mammoth offers. I can't stand him. Sooky p@#k!.

Yeah this story was floating around a few years ago

Last edited:

Yep. I appreciated a different perspective from Tim. SEN have been doing my head in about Smith.

I know there’s some angst about Baz and Jacko.. but surely it’s time for change…?

Do you really want to keep watching the same thing?

2015, 2016 and the first half of 2021 we were so exciting to watch. We played fast, manic footy.

When’s the last time you felt that excitement watching this team?

I for one, am ready for some new young faces running through our midfield.

We’re in a very fortunate position of having an elite young spine. A mini rebuild/evolution is the right idea.

We won’t need to do that. North would happily take the whole contract to get him over the line and they might give him the option for another year.

What we get in return is a guessing game, but 100% of his salary will be off the books without us offering a pick.

Macrae will have his fair share of admirers.
Not sure there are many clubs admiring his guaranteed $700k for the 2027 season though.

That being said, it would be very North because a they did a similar deal for a declining midfielder on the wrong side of 30 on big money for his third year even if he was still going to be a good player the first year (pinching Hugh Greenwood from Gold Coast) who offered basically nothing for the third year.

I think it's the three years that make it a bad contract. No club in the league would offer a third year guaranteed to Macrae with his age and form.

I for one, am ready for some new young faces running through our midfield.

We’re in a very fortunate position of having an elite young spine. A mini rebuild/evolution is the right idea.

Its time to hit the draft again, hopefully add Peatling and then get games into Garcia, Busslinger, Sanders and Freijah. It’s time for change and some energy injected into the side.

Like most I'm gutted about Macrae. I honestly never thought he would leave, even despite the role change and VFL stints. He doesn't seem like the type that would want to start somewhere new, needing to meet and get comfortable around a new club. Wouldn't be an easy decision for him. Hopefully it's all been amicable.

Gut feel is that he would have asked what we see his role for 2025 in his exit meeting.. and he wouldn’t have got the answer he wanted. Which is fair enough on both sides. I still think he could be a handy #1 inside mid at someone like the saints.

Smith's Instagram post lol. What an absolute peice of sh$%. What's your side mate? I dIDnT get To pLaY MiDfieLd - you were well behind Bont, Treloar and Libba in first choice rotation. Plus starting and half forward and then moving into the middle once the ball in bounced, that's playing midfield. You just weren't good enough. THeY oNlY OfFereD mE 2 yeArS. Show a bit of fight and have some confidence in your own ability to dominate for 2 years and then get the mammoth offers. I can't stand him. Sooky p@#k!.
I don’t think it’s wise of Bailey to start slinging mud given how much the club would have covered up in order to protect him over these last few years.

What’s the side he’s gonna have a to tell? Played round round one in his first season? Never played VFL? Club backed him after caught on the gear? Let him go to Europe while injured? Sounds like Footscray was like auschwitz for poor Bailey.
Of all the stupid things a person can do, to be in a position where you are with a large group of people, many I assume you don't know, and to be able to be photographed near white powder... The stupidity is astonishing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of all the stupid things a person can do, to be in a position where you are with a large group of people, many I assume you don't know, and to be able to be photographed near white powder... The stupidity is astonishing!

if you’re going to partake in the Bolivian marching powder, and you aphave a very recognisable face, it is not advisable to take a photo with it

Not sure there are many clubs admiring his guaranteed $700k for the 2027 season though.

That being said, it would be very North because a they did a similar deal for a declining midfielder on the wrong side of 30 on big money for his third year even if he was still going to be a good player the first year (pinching Hugh Greenwood from Gold Coast) who offered basically nothing for the third year.

I think it's the three years that make it a bad contract. No club in the league would offer a third year guaranteed to Macrae with his age and form.
North would easily take his salary on and I suspect he already has a few offers from other clubs given the recent news.

Fills a need and cap space the least of North’s problems.

Macrae a very suitable plan b for missing out on Viney.

I don’t see how a big/contending club could make it work. Even if we were to pay a small amount, Geelong forking out 500k-ish would still be a lot and I don’t see them doing it.

How ?

He could’ve got better trades for Dunkley and smith had he pulled the trigger earlier.

He’s been given a default trade hand with F\S and academy picks

his 2nd + later picks have been busts thus far

Then you same idiots would be in here giving him shit for not trying to "back the club in to keep him". He loses either way. It also goes all the way up to Bains and Grant when talking player retention.

I have no idea what the **** you mean by a "default" trade hand with F/S and academy, but I can only assume you misspelt BADLY COMPROMISED...

Also, Sam Power is not the Recruiting Manager (responsible for draft analysis), he's the List Manager. Two very different roles. But I'd say Gallagher and Freijah are coming along just fine for pick 40+'s.

Learn some things before shooting your mouth off.

North would easily take his salary on and I suspect he already has a few offers from other clubs given the recent news.

Fills a need and cap space the least of North’s problems.

Macrae a very suitable plan b for missing out on Viney.

I don’t see how a big/contending club could make it work. Even if we were to pay a small amount, Geelong forking out 500k-ish would still be a lot and I don’t see them doing it.
500k is pretty much average wage these days

Macca, always will be a Bullgod. Gutted to see the request but completely understandable considering how we're changing.

And not all is lost.

Been told tonight from a fairly reliable source that the Dogs will make a sizable offer to Butters this off season.

Macca, always will be a Bullgod. Gutted to see the request but completely understandable considering how we're changing.

And not all is lost.

Been told tonight from a fairly reliable source that the Dogs will make a sizable offer to Butters this off season.

Oooft not going to get my hopes too up, but a Butters and Bont midfield would be delicious to watch.

Look, I know zero about Smith. I have no idea if he's any good. I've heard he had a good year once.

But, he already works with cotton on.
Secondly, the salary club increases by $2 mil in 2025. Anyone could fit him in.

The cats will lose Hawkins, 2E, Parfitt, Stanley, Bews etc.
Cash isn't the problem here.

Draft picks are because we dont have any 'hand' unless one of our players asks to get out for more opportunity elsewhere.
But again, I have no idea what he's worth.

IF he's told Geelong he's coming you can bet that Geelong will have that deal done on day 1. It's how they roll.

This can't be true, you lot tell us that everyone who pulls on the hoops plays for $100K a year because "they love the joint", therefore losing a handful of players should never create any room in your cap.

Jezza, Danger and Bowes must be laughing taking up 83% of your cap by themselves.

Being fair to Geelong I don’t think they try to screw others at the trade table. They paid a fair price for Dangerfield and Cameron etc.

They’re great at getting deals done but I don’t think they’ve generally done it by shafting other clubs.
I would HIGHLY debate your fair price for Dangerfield call.

And not all is lost.

I don't see at all how we plan to finesse that given he still has two years left on his contract. However, Butters and Bont...In the same midfield.

i_used_to_pray_for_times_like_this_cover.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back