Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Butters lol
Would be great, but now think about what we're expecting to get for Baz, now extrapolate that to Butters who is on a long term contract and explain to me how that's anything but fantasy
We couldnt make that deal even if he wanted to come over
Only two years to run on said long term contract.

So so Sad.
No place for the second best player over the last 10 years.
Brings back memories of Box, Thorpe Dempsey,Quinlan and others not respected by the masses of the time.
Best of wishes for Macrae, would love to see him flourish elsewhere.

How were any of those players not respected by the masses?!

Box checked out 2 games after Whitten took over as captain coach. There was already some bad blood between them (including a young lady - allegedly).

Thorpe as captain had his ego massaged by a committeeman and both tried to undermine coach Bob Rose. Thorpe was a great accumulator - but a worse kick than Bailey Smith! He was ultimately the victim of his demise.

Dempsey was loved by everyone, and despite jumping ship to chase finals at North, is still a popular club legend with a player award named after him.

Quinlan was a victim of his own ability, and thrown around, even playing CHB when Templeton debuted and Sandilands was still full forward, but still a popular player (if equally frustrating) that no one really wanted to see leave.

Only two years to run on said long term contract.
To even begin negotiations we'd need to make sure we got both Geelong picks and probably have to put our F1 on the table too. I think we'd still be told to do better

Enquiring about Butters as a premeptive strike for a future crack at him makes sense to me but I cant see it this year being realistic

Butters lol
Would be great, but now think about what we're expecting to get for Baz, now extrapolate that to Butters who is on a long term contract and explain to me how that's anything but fantasy

Nothing is impossible.

Judd, Dangerfield, Lynch, Franklin...things happen.

Nothing ventured...

To even begin negotiations we'd need to make sure we got both Geelong picks and probably have to put our F1 on the table too. I think we'd still be told to do better

Enquiring about Butters as a premeptive strike for a future crack at him makes sense to me but I cant see it this year being realistic
Your second point is exactly my thinking. I believe this year is highly unlikely but could sow the seed for next year as a pre-agent.

I’m also in the boat of seriously considering moving on one of our talls to get a butters deal done as well addressing other areas of need like small/med defender, wing and small forward. I think we need to be aggressive and brave in our list management while we still have this elite core for the next 2-3 years

I'm of the opinion that Buku has gone about as far as he can with us. I'm surprised he's been offered a 2 year contract. He's been on the list a long time without looking like a dependable, consistent AFL standard player.
I think a year would have been fair, but with offers on the table from other teams (supposedly 4 years), the club have met him somewhere in the middle. He is still dependable depth at either end of the ground and coming off a (very low-bar) career best season.

If one of Jones/Lobb goes down I suspect he is back in the selection frame. However, I would hope the club is looking to pump games into Buss as a priority.

Nothing is impossible.

Judd, Dangerfield, Lynch, Franklin...things happen.

Nothing ventured...
I agree 100%, club needs to get ambitious and think bigger rather than filling up on other teams castoffs every offseason. Just think even if there was some truth to it it's real hard for a team currently without a first rounder

Assuming we (somehow) manage the two Geelong picks, how about those + our F1, + one of Daniel or Garcia (if willing to go)?

Assuming we (somehow) manage the two Geelong picks, how about those + our F1, + one of Daniel or Garcia (if willing to go)?
thinking about this, I reckon they'd expect something really high in this years draft. They'd have an immediate hole in their midfield during a time of supposed premiership contention. If they could get their hands on Draper at the draft to backfill then maybe they'd consider it, but that would involve getting ahead of Adelaide which would be tough.

I agree 100%, club needs to get ambitious and think bigger rather than filling up on other teams castoffs every offseason. Just think even if there was some truth to it it's real hard for a team currently without a first rounder

Yep and we get Butters and our midfield is immediately transformed. Would be huge.

We can dream for now.

Garcia and Daniel both seem settled. No trade request from Daniel and Garcia was given games and performed like a charm. I believe the club will put the deal out there just to get it in Butters head and we'll see in a year where we stand. Good deals for Macrae and Smith should put us in a good position to start with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is Butters contract to RFA? maybe we try to line something up for then. The club needs to start playing these games that all of the bigger clubs do if we ever want to lose minnow status. because this is 100% what the Geelong and Collingwood list managers are doing

Macca, always will be a Bullgod. Gutted to see the request but completely understandable considering how we're changing.

And not all is lost.

Been told tonight from a fairly reliable source that the Dogs will make a sizable offer to Butters this off season.
I'm going to be as delusional as England supporters for the next 12-24 months.

He's coming home! 😍😍

Garcia and Daniel both seem settled. No trade request from Daniel and Garcia was given games and performed like a charm. I believe the club will put the deal out there just to get it in Butters head and we'll see in a year where we stand. Good deals for Macrae and Smith should put us in a good position to start with.
Agreed, it doesn't seem likely that either would be willing (or that Butters would be available this year). But just hypothetically, one persuasive point to Daniel might be a more reliable best 22 role covering Houston's loss at half back for Port, and similarly Garcia covering Butters as an inside mid.

is Butters contract to RFA? maybe we try to line something up for then. The club needs to start playing these games that all of the bigger clubs do if we ever want to lose minnow status. because this is 100% what the Geelong and Collingwood list managers are doing

9307a5.jpg

Last edited:
Need to sell the captaincy to get Butters. I think having him take over after Bont might be a great honor for him. He lost the captaincy of port to Rozee.
Rozee took it off Jonas. Apart from his footballing talents does Butters have leadership qualities? Nevertheless, I’d be shocked if Darcy wasn’t our next captain

Not really. It’s all about the optics. The AFL want to be seen to be monitoring this closely but nothing will come of it. Tank it to the bank
I think this is probably right but with the possible exception that it wont just be us as a “small club” asking questions but every other club too. How would Cotton On justify a bigger sponsorship coming off not playing for a year vs what they paid him coming off the 2021 finals series?

Butters lol
We're putting an offer to him.
Doesn't meant we're trying to get him this year, but putting ourselves in the race to get him when his ready to jump ship.

Alot of these big moves require years of talking and planning.

If rumors are to be believed, Chris Scott met with Bailey Smith last offseason and pitched Geelong to him.

These things take time, unless Port really do shit the bed, I doubt Butters would want out this year and will see out the last year of his contract.

We're putting an offer to him.
Doesn't meant we're trying to get him this year, but putting ourselves in the race to get him when his ready to jump ship.

Alot of these big moves require years of talking and planning.

If rumors are to be believed, Chris Scott met with Bailey Smith last offseason and pitched Geelong to him.

These things take time, unless Port really do shit the bed, I doubt Butters would want out this year and will see out the last year of his contract.
I actually went back and re-watched the Chris Scott interview on Monday after Bailey had informed the club he was leaving. When asked about Bailey he said “and there’s a fair chance that even if those conversations have happened that I’m not privy to it”
lol turn it up, Chris. We know lying is the second language of the AFL, but the cats take it to a whole new level. They couldn’t even be honest about Stewart last week when everybody in the footy world knew it was a hammy.

Also, I believe the last year of Butters’ contract is 2026 not next year.

Then you same idiots would be in here giving him shit for not trying to "back the club in to keep him". He loses either way. It also goes all the way up to Bains and Grant when talking player retention.

I have no idea what the **** you mean by a "default" trade hand with F/S and academy, but I can only assume you misspelt BADLY COMPROMISED...

Also, Sam Power is not the Recruiting Manager (responsible for draft analysis), he's the List Manager. Two very different roles. But I'd say Gallagher and Freijah are coming along just fine for pick 40+'s.

Learn some things before shooting your mouth off.

Whatever …

If you want your club to be successful and not win 2 flags in it’s existence, then you have to be bold and not afraid to take risks.

Bevo has underachieved in the last 6 years IMO. Hardly made progress.

By default drafting - we were given JUH, Darcy , Croft

and before you open your mouth - Gallagher thus far has been a spud , Charlie Clarke hasn’t got a look and left to rot. A jones same

Scott gullan said playing players like McNeil , Scott etc ahead of Macrae and Daniel hasn’t worked out.
Yet Bevo continues to play these hacks

Bevo got lucky with Richards and lobb positional changes due to injuries

- I saw the exact same pattern with arsene Wenger as Arsenal coach as I do with Bevo , so I know what I’m talking about regarding to move Bevo on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back