Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly this.
Given Hawthorn's offer last year (their first pick for Smith and Lions pick) he should've been told to either re-sign and show his commitment or accept the Hawks offer.
Look at this from his perspective. And under the games current structures that is the only perspective that counts.

Why would he have chosen one of these binary options when he clearly had many others?

Especially in Geelong where his endorsement connections run deep. Geelong as is their way know that they hold all of the cards and that they just needed to allow things to play themselves out, feign indifference and that Smith would come to them.

The last thing they wanted was to get into a bidding war with another team if it became known during the last trade period that Smith was available on the table. Once he nominates them in the next few weeks then that inflationary inconvenience evaporates as quickly as the threat of us sending him to the PSD.

Look at this from his perspective. And under the games current structures that is the only perspective that counts.

Why would he have chosen one of these binary options when he clearly had many others?

Especially in Geelong where his endorsement connections run deep. Geelong as is their way know that they hold all of the cards and that they just needed to allow things to play themselves out, feign indifference and that Smith would come to them.

The last thing they wanted was to get into a bidding war with another team if it became known during the last trade period that Smith was available on the table. Once he nominates them in the next few weeks then that inflationary inconvenience evaporates as quickly as the threat of us sending him to the PSD.
The Hawks were ready to pull the trigger last year and Smith was happy to go there. I don't know wether the cats were willing to do a deal last year or were getting into his ear before this off season though.

Does Bailey Smith understand how many Bulldogs live down the Geelong way? It is just a natural extension to the western suburbs. He could go back to the leafy eastern suburbs if he wished. We will remind him of his lack of loyalty at every and all opportunities.

How much did we end up paying for a similar pick upgrade? That trade valued Smith well above what any trade this year will value him at.

Dunkley was told he would not be traded under contract so didn't waste his time publicly seeking a trade in the final year of his contract.

Smith I agree should've been moved on last year after not extending but the clubs view was the same as in the Dunkley situation.
I don't look at pick points

I think the best we get for Bailey is the cats first round plus a future first round.

The very best we get for Jacko is a late first rounder mor likely earlier second.
I think that's probably a bit high for Jacko. He is 30 and has a substantial contract attached. I feel like 30s/40s is more likely.

Article in HS today that has said JJ is after a one year contract extension, and if he doesn't get it he will just retire. Does want to play anywhere else but the Dogs.
There's probably enough space that he might get an extra year. He's likely going to have to wait until the Smith & Macrae deals to see how many draft picks we have in 2024.

Out: Smith, Macrae, Bedendo, Keath
In: Smith pick?, 33, 44, trade target?

Does Bailey Smith understand how many Bulldogs live down the Geelong way? It is just a natural extension to the western suburbs. He could go back to the leafy eastern suburbs if he wished. We will remind him of his lack of loyalty at every and all opportunities.
Don’t give him any attention.

I'm of the opinion that Buku has gone about as far as he can with us. I'm surprised he's been offered a 2 year contract. He's been on the list a long time without looking like a dependable, consistent AFL standard player.
He’s another one who might have been given a year too many, but I suppose with Jones and Lobb on the wrong side of 30 going forward and Buss and Croft yet to debut he might be needed in the transition.

I think that's probably a bit high for Jacko. He is 30 and has a substantial contract attached. I feel like 30s/40s is more likely.

I feel we should accommodate he wishes to a larger extent

The more $ we pay of his contract the higher the pick we should ask for the less we pay of his salary the later the pick we should request.

Article in HS today that has said JJ is after a one year contract extension, and if he doesn't get it he will just retire. Does want to play anywhere else but the Dogs.
I’d definitely give it to him.

He was pretty good before his injury. Only reason to not renew is if the docs think his body is done.

There's probably enough space that he might get an extra year. He's likely going to have to wait until the Smith & Macrae deals to see how many draft picks we have in 2024.

Out: Smith, Macrae, Bedendo, Keath
In: Smith pick?, 33, 44, trade target?
I know I might be in the minority but I'd be inclined to keep Bedendo for another year. He's improving week on week in the role he's playing and starting to benefit with some continuity. I'd tap Cleary on the shoulder before Dom.

Is JJ contracted for 2025 and wants a year more or does his contract end this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep - Saints have substantial cap room so will probably take on the whole remaining contract to pay less in draft picks.

I know I might be in the minority but I'd be inclined to keep Bedendo for another year. He's improving week on week in the role he's playing and starting to benefit with some continuity. I'd tap Cleary on the shoulder before Dom.
I'm the opposite. Cleary at least has a defined rule at AFL level. Nobody knows what Bedendo is

Cal Twomey said on gettable that he thinks Geelong won’t offer more then this year’s first for Bailey Smith

Apparently we're still in the mix (with 3 other clubs) for Dan Houston. We're a bit light on for running defenders outside of Dale & Bramble and Houston has the flexibility to play elsewhere.

If we could turn the Smith & Macrae combo (salary & picks) for Houston then it would be a team improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back