Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jake Stringer is gettable :eyes::eyes:

Rozee took it off Jonas. Apart from his footballing talents does Butters have leadership qualities? Nevertheless, I’d be shocked if Darcy wasn’t our next captain
Butters is the spiritual captain at Port. Even Cornes thinks that. Rozee might have the paper title but Butters is the one you follow to war.

I actually went back and re-watched the Chris Scott interview on Monday after Bailey had informed the club he was leaving. When asked about Bailey he said “and there’s a fair chance that even if those conversations have happened that I’m not privy to it”
lol turn it up, Chris. We know lying is the second language of the AFL, but the cats take it to a whole new level. They couldn’t even be honest about Stewart last week when everybody in the footy world knew it was a hammy.

Also, I believe the last year of Butters’ contract is 2026 not next year.
Yes at the end of 2026 Butters is a RFA. But at the end of 2025 he is a pre-agent and that's when clubs usually offload players they know are going to leave.

Probably the least surprising trade request with Smith. Didn’t have a good 2023 which is partly on Smith, partly on the club and he was understandably annoyed that he wasn’t getting midfield time. I think there was a good chance he was going to get the right mix again this season but once he did the knee it was over, was never going to re-sign after that. Think he was going to have a great 2024 and would’ve re-signed but the timing of the knee hurt. I trust Power to get adequate return, it might be less than we want but I don’t think we’ll get shafted and don’t think we’ll force him to the PSD.

Sad news with Macrae but think it’s the best option for him. Still believe there is a role for him at AFL level. I don’t think we used him particularly well this year but it is what it is. The club decided he wasn’t a fit in the midfield anymore, even in games when Libba and/or Richards were out. Maybe they were ahead of the game and are right, maybe they weren’t. I hope he chooses Saints, think thats his best chance for games. Can’t see us getting anything more than a third rounder but should probably do the right thing by him after his excellent service and get him where he wants to go. Hopefully that isn’t Geelong. I don’t think it’ll feel right seeing him in different colours.

Pies asking the suns for pick 12 for John Noble, don't even blame them, Gold Coast have form paying overs.

Probably the least surprising trade request with Smith. Didn’t have a good 2023 which is partly on Smith, partly on the club and he was understandably annoyed that he wasn’t getting midfield time. I think there was a good chance he was going to get the right mix again this season but once he did the knee it was over, was never going to re-sign after that. Think he was going to have a great 2024 and would’ve re-signed but the timing of the knee hurt. I trust Power to get adequate return, it might be less than we want but I don’t think we’ll get shafted and don’t think we’ll force him to the PSD.

Sad news with Macrae but think it’s the best option for him. Still believe there is a role for him at AFL level. I don’t think we used him particularly well this year but it is what it is. The club decided he wasn’t a fit in the midfield anymore, even in games when Libba and/or Richards were out. Maybe they were ahead of the game and are right, maybe they weren’t. I hope he chooses Saints, think thats his best chance for games. Can’t see us getting anything more than a third rounder but should probably do the right thing by him after his excellent service and get him where he wants to go. Hopefully that isn’t Geelong. I don’t think it’ll feel right seeing him in different colours.
Smith not being there might have been what opened the door for Richards and on balance I’d rather Richards be there.

Dunkley and Smith would have been great to have for when Libba and Treloar wind down but I think the succession plan is underway regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith not being there might have been what opened the door for Richards and on balance I’d rather Richards be there.

Dunkley and Smith would have been great to have for when Libba and Treloar wind down but I think the succession plan is underway regardless.
By the time Libba and Treloar wind down, Dunkley will be 30 as well.

Pies asking the suns for pick 12 for John Noble, don't even blame them, Gold Coast have form paying overs.

Here is where you see the small club v big club media bias.

That request will be fine, but we should just shut up and accept a pick in the 20s for Smith.

Here is where you see the small club v big club media bias.

That request will be fine, but we should just shut up and accept a pick in the 20s for Smith.
Gold Coast need points I believe for more academy players, so 12 may end in there with a bunch of other stuff flying aorund. Regardless I wish we could have had a player nominate the Suns in the past few years, such a delight to trade with they would be.

Gold Coast need points I believe for more academy players, so 12 may end in there with a bunch of other stuff flying aorund. Regardless I wish we could have had a player nominate the Suns in the past few years, such a delight to trade with they would be.
Not such a delight last year

They both immediately shot down the Cats 1st on its own, wherever it lands not being enough.
Correctly so, because it's preposterous.

If Smith's contract, if he were a free agent, would gather him a better pick in a compensation deal, you cannot offer a worse pick straight up with a straight face, because the whole principle of Free Agency only taking place after 8 years would collapse.

That's on Geelong for going after a player that isn't a free agent.

Put it this way - these players are not free agents after 6 years instead of 7/8 because it should give more power to the clubs that invested in the initial draft pick.

But if the Dogs were better off just, in theory, giving back those free agency rights to get a better compensation pick (a pick immediately after our own 1st), it defeats the whole purpose of making it 8 years in the first place. Why wouldn't we just go to the AFL and say, sure, let him walk to Geelong and consider him a free agent? (I know that's not how the rules work but it does make you think about how the structures are all balanced).

Haha exactly. They’ve been bent over with every trade except one. Not sure why they decided to have a backbone last year
I cannot believe they traded a F1 (which became pick 15) for a pick 24 on draft day. Even accepting the fact that you are targeting a player specifically that slipped on your draft board, and there's the accounting concept of the net present value of getting a pick a year earlier, that alone is not worth a 9 pick downgrade. The only way that's fair is if you're trading something like a future pick 21 for a current pick 24. It's just a comically bad trade. You cannot be that certain about a given player before they've even been drafted, that they're worth taking now. There has to be uncertainty in their quality that you just assume what you think is a good pick 24 now is not better than an average pick 15 in a given future year.

And where are they now?

Pretty sure Bugg made a lot of money (eg, millionaire status) but is just generally found being a flog on footy social media comments on instagram.

Watts is doing what he used to do on the footy field - being absolutely anonymous.

What ever happened to Caleb Graham?

I cannot believe they traded a F1 (which became pick 15) for a pick 24 on draft day. Even accepting the fact that you are targeting a player specifically that slipped on your draft board, and there's the accounting concept of the net present value of getting a pick a year earlier, that alone is not worth a 9 pick downgrade. The only way that's fair is if you're trading something like a future pick 21 for a current pick 24. It's just a comically bad trade. You cannot be that certain about a given player before they've even been drafted, that they're worth taking now. There has to be uncertainty in their quality that you just assume what you think is a good pick 24 now is not better than an average pick 15 in a given future year.

It's even in a best-case scenario, The extra 2019 pick they brought in was at the expense of a 2020 pick, where the 2019 draft is pretty star-studded and the 2020 draft is weak. And yet, they drafted a guy in 2019 who they ended up delisting, and Geelong used the 2020 pick on one of the stars of the bunch.

Correctly so, because it's preposterous.

If Smith's contract, if he were a free agent, would gather him a better pick in a compensation deal, you cannot offer a worse pick straight up with a straight face, because the whole principle of Free Agency only taking place after 8 years would collapse.

That's on Geelong for going after a player that isn't a free agent.

Put it this way - these players are not free agents after 6 years instead of 7/8 because it should give more power to the clubs that invested in the initial draft pick.

But if the Dogs were better off just, in theory, giving back those free agency rights to get a better compensation pick (a pick immediately after our own 1st), it defeats the whole purpose of making it 8 years in the first place. Why wouldn't we just go to the AFL and say, sure, let him walk to Geelong and consider him a free agent? (I know that's not how the rules work but it does make you think about how the structures are all balanced).
It’s been done to death but it highlights the absurdity of the current free agency system - if the concern was players being able to move to a club of their choice then an arbitration panel would have solved it.

The idea that a club can be required to cough up a couple of first rounders one year for a player or get them free a year later because they’ve hit the mark is ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back