Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to use the 2 first round picks from Geelong for Bailey Smith to get Dan Houston from Port Adelaide.

Houston would be a big step up from our current half back flank ball distributers.

We have the power in the Smith trade - Paul O'Connor works the long game with his clients and Bailey to Geelong would have been done 12 months ago. It is up to Andrew Mackie and the Cats to satisfy us.

After being dropped following an absolute shocker earlier this season (opener vs Melbourne?), McNeil hasn’t been terrible since his return (good vs Carlton & Sydney by memory?).

That said, why a two year deal instead of one? You only go the extra with a better player when there’s two or three offered at another club.

He wouldn’t have any other offers, so why do this now? You can always extend a year during the season if he’s getting a regular game over the first few months or whatever.

with us potentially but think you may be underselling him. Bevo has gone off him for whatever reason but i personally think he will still play pretty good footy for the next few years. Time will tell.
It wasn’t what I intended, in regards to underrating Macrae, I just think contending clubs who need to be more cap-conscious would be very wary of taking on his contract, especially if he’s not an absolute need.

Unless he’s happy to go to Saints, North etc, it won’t be the easiest trade to complete.

Yikes.

Poulter, Baker and Scott got two year deals and were made irrelevant very quickly into them.

Gardner got a 3 year extension one year early. This was the first year of his extension and he played 0 AFL games, and found himself exiled to full forward for Footscray. All in all since signing the deal at the start of 2023 he’s played 10 AFL games compared to 17 VFL games lol.

It’s not about salary cap pressure, these guys would/should be thrilled to be making league minimum. That’s fine. List spots are valuable though, and there’s nothing wrong with being a bit more ruthless with fringe players.

Do we genuinely believe McNeil has some ceiling he’s yet to hit? Were we at risk of losing him to competition if we offered him a one year deal? Is he going to be useful in 2026? Because if he’s getting games then we’re in some deep shit. If he’s getting games next season it means we’ve failed to address a positional weakness.

Bramble getting the one year deal was good! Roarke Smith made an entire career of being a fringe player on one year contracts.

We’re denying ourselves list flexibility for no real reason other than that we usually overrate these players, and then quickly cast them aside.

Yeah the only risk is that he takes a list spot. That’s not nothing, and I’ve been critical of fringe players getting too many years in the past, but he was pretty solid in the second half of the year. I’m sure he’ll get games the next two years.
What you think you’re just going to bring in anyone from vfl or u/18 that would be better than McNeil with our draft hand. Especially when we already need to replace three

After being dropped following an absolute shocker earlier this season (opener vs Melbourne?), McNeil hasn’t been terrible since his return (good vs Carlton & Sydney by memory?).

That said, why a two year deal instead of one? You only go the extra with a better player when there’s two or three offered at another club.

He wouldn’t have any other offers, so why do this now? You can always extend a year during the season if he’s getting a regular game over the first few months or whatever.
Can't keep living on one year contracts either.

At some point if they've had a decent year they need to be rewarded. If you keep throwing out one year contracts you lose these guys (including Buku etc) to teams who offer two or more.

I don't have a problem rewarding McNeil with 2. Someone who isn't in the main team getting 2 would be different.

Yikes.

Poulter, Baker and Scott got two year deals and were made irrelevant very quickly into them.

Gardner got a 3 year extension one year early. This was the first year of his extension and he played 0 AFL games, and found himself exiled to full forward for Footscray. All in all since signing the deal at the start of 2023 he’s played 10 AFL games compared to 17 VFL games lol.

It’s not about salary cap pressure, these guys would/should be thrilled to be making league minimum. That’s fine. List spots are valuable though, and there’s nothing wrong with being a bit more ruthless with fringe players.

Do we genuinely believe McNeil has some ceiling he’s yet to hit? Were we at risk of losing him to competition if we offered him a one year deal? Is he going to be useful in 2026? Because if he’s getting games then we’re in some deep shit. If he’s getting games next season it means we’ve failed to address a positional weakness.

Bramble getting the one year deal was good! Roarke Smith made an entire career of being a fringe player on one year contracts.

We’re denying ourselves list flexibility for no real reason other than that we usually overrate these players, and then quickly cast them aside.
Poulter is excellent depth. He’s still only 21 and is developing. As much as he’s never going to be a star he’s a great foot soldier when required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What you think you’re just going to bring in anyone from vfl or u/18 that would be better than McNeil with our draft hand. Especially when we already need to replace three
The depth of this draft seems excellent. I think the back end will surprise with some quality 50-150 games players tucked amoungst them for Milesi and his team to winkle out.

McNeil did show some signs of improvement this season, but he still can’t kick a regulation 20m set shot from in front and fumbles and/or breaks down an attacking chain way too often.

The timing is odd as well, but honestly now, which other club would be looking to offer him any deal, let alone 2+ years?

I was against the 2 years offered to Khamis and I'm equally against the 2 offered to McNeil. Both are fringe players who have shown on multiple occasions they are not AFL standard. As others have pointed out, we already have several of these types who have been given multiple year contracts and who spend their careers as good, solid VFL players.
I acknowledge there's been some incremental improvement in both the above but I have strong doubts this will be maintained.

To the 100 posts saying, and the 100 to come, that "we should have traded Smith last year to Hawthorn for pick 5".

Smith hadn't done his ACL then FFS!

(and there is no concrete evidence that was on the table with nothing else involved).

It seemed like 2024 would be a good year for him to put the work in and show exactly what he could be worth.

McNeil did show some signs of improvement this season, but he still can’t kick a regulation 20m set shot from in front and fumbles and/or breaks down an attacking chain way too often.

The timing is odd as well, but honestly now, which other club would be looking to offer him any deal, let alone 2+ years?

Would McNeil make a good small defender?

To the 100 posts saying, and the 100 to come, that "we should have traded Smith last year to Hawthorn for pick 5".

Smith hadn't done his ACL then FFS!

(and there is no concrete evidence that was on the table with nothing else involved).

And we don’t know for certain what was rumoured was fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back