Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be nice to get some extras inside the top 30 somehow. We might have a few vacancies and sounds likea quiet year as far as trade targets coming in.

Smith out, probably Macrae out, maybe Garcia, maybe Caleb. As well as whatever delistings we do. Be nice to get some useful picks and not just have to gamble with late ones. Would be interested in trying to move somethign form next year into this year too if we can. Not first rounder, but fair game on seconds and beyond

What do you think 3 or 4?
Should hopefully get a couple picks for macrae and Baz to use this year and another for Baz next year. I think we already have two of our own.
4 youngsters would be nice.
Possibly more depend on who’s retiring or delisted.
I'd want to start stockpiling picks for an all out assault on Butters next year.

Or we can keep pottering along mid table.

Watch bonts best years go to waste.

Hit this year's super draft top 20 with pick 22 odd (Smith pick pushed out by bids).

Get reamed by the cats in 2 years when JUH is out of contract.

Sometimes his make ballsy calls and Bont and Darcy are my only Untouchables.
Bont and JUH are good mates right? Trading Juh might upset Bont….hes been looking more and more pissed off this year and is still to sign….shut the doors and last one out turn off the lights

I know Bailey is out of contract and that can make it more difficult for us, but at the end of the day Geelong have courted him for 18 months. The onus is now on them to get the deal done and satisfy the bulldogs.

He can nominate for the draft if he likes but if Geelong have pick 20, good luck getting him even if you set a monster price on his head. Richmond will enjoy having him as a trade asset immediately.

The deal will get done and it’ll end up being fair value. It’s ****ing laughable the media trying to spoon feed us that his value is one pick around 20 when they’re also coming with Rioli being worth pick 6 and a second rounder. ****ing laughable.

I know Bailey is out of contract and that can make it more difficult for us, but at the end of the day Geelong have courted him for 18 months. The onus is now on them to get the deal done and satisfy the bulldogs.

He can nominate for the draft if he likes but if Geelong have pick 20, good luck getting him even if you set a monster price on his head. Richmond will enjoy having him as a trade asset immediately.

The deal will get done and it’ll end up being fair value. It’s ****ing laughable the media trying to spoon feed us that his value is one pick around 20 when they’re also coming with Rioli being worth pick 6 and a second rounder. ****ing laughable.

Assuming Geelong moves up a few spots and we get something like pick 12-14. It’s not that hard to do in this points era.

AFL never takes any matters seriously if it impacts their game

by the letter of law, players who are drunk driving should be banned from the league
Since that's more dangerous than taking party drugs

Some of the best players in the league have been on 2 strikes for years and AFL will never ban them since it impacts their cash flow
Alcohol isn’t illegal to take, drugs are. It’s based on societal laws. And yes I agree on the drink driving. But I’d argue drug driving is worse.

Dare I say it again, but it's the big club v small club thing again.

Elite player wants to leave or leaves a big club media overly inflate their value, elite player wants to leave small club and they downplay their value and openly tell the club to accept whatever scraps big club is offering.

Look at Ralph over inflating the value of Baker and Rioli and any other player that might leave Richmond. Plenty of other examples.

Rinse and repeat.

Bailey Smith's link to Cotton-On in the context of his probable transfer to Geelong is getting some airplay on ABC News: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-09...request-as-cotton-on-deal-looked-at/104336320

It's a frustrating read. Don't expect investigative journalism. The very idea that Geelong may have been orchestrating Smith's move for some time is not so subtly put into the 'conspiracy theory' basket. Oh well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Smith's link to Cotton-On in the context of his probable transfer to Geelong is getting some airplay on ABC News: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-09...request-as-cotton-on-deal-looked-at/104336320

It's a frustrating read. Don't expect investigative journalism. The very idea that Geelong may have been orchestrating Smith's move for some time is not so subtly put into the 'conspiracy theory' basket. Oh well.
We should “chip” away at Ollie Dempsey, make it our Mission to get him to the Dogs.
We could start small, play the long game like the Cats have, maybe Bevo could give him some salsa lessons. Nacho far fetched is it 😉

Oh but it is implied, Tuohy’s friendly arm on Smith in 2022. The fact that the media had been saying Geelong have been into him for the past 18 months, and it’s a very flimsy excuse to say you want to leave the club because you were not played in the middle.

It also makes sense that the Hawks put forward an offer last year, the club he supported all his life, where his house is situated and he turned it down. But has apparently already bought a house in Greater Geelong, six months from the trade period. Something stinks at Geelong and it’s not just the refinery.

As much as I hate Geelong, they are an institution that get the best out of their players. I don't know how they do it, but they always do it, the bang average footballer that goes to Geelong ends up being no longer bang average. Any superstar they get, simply gets better. They also never seem to bottom out and constantly go top 4.

If Smith has been gift-wrapped and destined for Geelong 18 months ago its a problem for the AFL to look at. If his sponsors are covering a portion of the fee that would otherwise be paid by Geelong then its a problem for the AFL to look at. It's not a Geelong problem its an AFL problem. Probe the shit out of them and put a stamp on it if its actually happening.

Smith leaving is nothing personal against us I'm sure. Purely business. At the Dogs he is in the shadows of the Bont. Cannot be the main man, the star attraction. At Geelong, he goes to potentially 'THE MAN' in an instant. Just hope the club can extract the highest value out of him and we move on and try and get the best coverage as possible.

If Smith has been gift-wrapped and destined for Geelong 18 months ago its a problem for the AFL to look at. If his sponsors are covering a portion of the fee that would otherwise be paid by Geelong then its a problem for the AFL to look at. It's not a Geelong problem its an AFL problem. Probe the shit out of them and put a stamp on it if its actually happening.
They will pretend to look at it but it's clear that nothing will come of it. Did you know Tom Hawkins has supposedly been on $300k for several years - obviously just happy give up half a million dollars per year for that amazing lifestyle. https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/09/this-is-what-geelong-do-hawkins-shock-2023-salary-revealed/

Meanwhile:

Geelong obviously get a lot out of their players, but forgive me for not indulging in the "amazing destination club culture, how do they do it?!" lovefest when it comes to landing players.

Cal- Saints have cooled their pursuit for Dan Houston
Leaving- Pies, Carlton, North and Dogs are the remaining teams

We keep getting mentioned in the narrowing Dan Houston race, Saints supposedly out of the race, keeps talking to us, Pies and Blues with Norf being trying all they can do to get his attention without any luck.

They will pretend to look at it but it's clear that nothing will come of it. Did you know Tom Hawkins has supposedly been on $300k for several years - obviously just happy give up half a million dollars per year for that amazing lifestyle. https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/09/this-is-what-geelong-do-hawkins-shock-2023-salary-revealed/

Meanwhile:

Geelong obviously get a lot out of their players, but forgive me for not indulging in the "amazing destination club culture, how do they do it?!" lovefest when it comes to landing players.

Yep. It's no different to the brown paper bags from Carlton 20-30 years ago if they can prove it's actually happening.

It stinks to high heaven and the AFL will do nothing about it. Not a thing. Why? Because they are spineless.

How is it any different to Carlton? Only difference is this is in plain sight rather than under the table. The 'lifestyle' in Geelong is nice, but we're not talking the Amalfi Coast here, it's Geelong FFS (and I love Geelong spent many years going to school and living down that way). The lifestyle thing is just a nice little cover.

We all know what's going on, so if you can't beat em join em. Time for us to get in on the action when it comes to third party payments. Surely we have some creative accounts in our midst?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back