Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the VFL team now out of contention the final exit interviews will take place early next week so expect more news then regarding delistings and potential trade requests.
There will be a few though that will need to wait until after the trade period for contract offers though I imagine.

With the English discussion, his best is clearly very good and I’m happy he is on our side. He has shown that he can bring it against the physical rucks at times (he’s had some good matchups against Gawn in the past, was easily best ruck on the ground against Sean Darcy and Jackson). It’s just too often that he has an unwillingness to match their physicality and I don’t know if it’s the concussion issues he has had but we’d been seeing less of it each season before this season when it seemed like every second week he wasn’t up for the contest.

It’s just frustrating when he has those games when he rocks up and he is clearly off and uncompetitive that we haven’t played the second ruck option or are unwilling to swap English forward and give the second ruck minutes. The only time I can really remember us swinging the move was the last round against Geelong in 2023 when English wasn’t bringing it so Lobb was brought into the ruck in the second half, started providing some physicality and changed the swing of the game. Obviously in 2022 when we tried everything but play two rucks we didn’t have that option.

I never want to see Sam Darcy play full time ruck but maybe with another preseason then maybe we can switch up that role in games English doesn’t want to compete and we don’t just have to sit through an entire game of the opposition ruckman bullying us. We probably should pick up a cheap, ready to go ruck option as backup. Smith is obviously going to be seasons away and I’d rather Lobb and Darcy not have to be the option if English is out for a period of time.

Delist: Clarke, Bedendo, Poulter

Play every game next year: Buss, Garcia, Freijah
Add Harmes to that list…pointless addition to the finals team. Needed Garcia

Missed easy goals today too

I will die on the hill that we would have been better off playing English/Sweet in the same team, even if Sweet was rucking & otherwise on the bench. I feel we had the right team mix to cover those rotations, but we essentially never did it. That’s right on the coaches.

Somehow, there are a few resident ****wits on this board that couldn’t comprehend that argument and pointed out his lack of impact around the ground. Yeah cool, how about the fact he would have changed our midfield dynamic that they didn’t need to be so reactive to the opposition ruck? It’s like they had never watched another game outside of Bulldogs games in their life. They would have exerted less energy basically dictating the play instead of chasing/physically engaging their opponents as much as they need to.

The proof is in the pudding though. Sweet definitely isn’t costing Port games and is about to play a prelim, whilst we have our feet up watching the TV.
I think you're getting a bit carried away here. Yes, Sweets combative but It's not like hes putting it on a platter for the port mids.

And along with the resident f##$wits on here, the coaching staff at Port Adelaide didn't agree with your strategy either. Sweet only played seniors once soldo went down.

Add Harmes to that list…pointless addition to the finals team. Needed Garcia

Missed easy goals today too
Surely Cleary is on the delist radar as well?

Delist:
Cleary
Clarke
Bedendo
Gardner
Scott?

Trade:
Macrae
B.Smith

Possible Trade:
Keath?
Daniel?

ODriscoll (ret)

I know Lobb was good in the final but I get this feeling we'll be looking at trading him. You just can't take three 205cm+ guys into a finals campaign and expect to win.

Either way we're looking at another massive list refresh. Depth could be at an all-time low next year.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

With the VFL team now out of contention the final exit interviews will take place early next week so expect more news then regarding delistings and potential trade requests.
There will be a few though that will need to wait until after the trade period for contract offers though I imagine.
What's going on with Garcia

Delist:
Cleary
Clarke
Bedendo
Gardner
Scott?

Trade:
Macrae
B.Smith

Possible Trade:
Keath?
Daniel?

ODriscoll (ret)

I know Lobb was good in the final but I get this feeling we'll be looking at trading him. You just can't take three 205cm+ guys into a finals campaign and expect to win.

Either way we're looking at another massive list refresh. Depth could be at an all-time low next year.

Cleary isn’t out of contract.

Delist:
Cleary
Clarke
Bedendo
Gardner
Scott?

Trade:
Macrae
B.Smith

Possible Trade:
Keath?
Daniel?

ODriscoll (ret)

Keath would retire or potentially be delisted he would not be traded.

Scott I believe is under contract

Clarke should get another year

Lobb we are not trading. That would be just dumb.

Clearly I think also has another year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep Keath another year for depth isn’t a bad thing.

Disagree, easy de-list decision IMO, I would prefer the list spot on someone else. Already have Lobb, Jones, JOD, then Buku re-signed, Busslinger is ready for games, Gardner still under contract and then further depth with guys like Coffield as 3rd tall and Darcy able to swing back if needed. Still have Croft developing as a 2nd year tall more for VFL level but so many defensive options.

Disagree, easy de-list decision IMO, I would prefer the list spot on someone else. Already have Lobb, Jones, JOD, then Buku re-signed, Busslinger is ready for games, Gardner still under contract and then further depth with guys like Coffield as 3rd tall and Darcy able to swing back if needed. Still have Croft developing as a 2nd year tall more for VFL level but so many defensive options.
Keath I feel was kept this year to guide Buss in the VFL. May not look the part but I think he has a great footy mind in guiding youngsters… it’s the only logical reason now.
Had a wonderful 21 season with us but the sport has evolved beyond his abilities now.

Thanks for everything Chief I think

I think you're getting a bit carried away here. Yes, Sweets combative but It's not like hes putting it on a platter for the port mids.

And along with the resident f##$wits on here, the coaching staff at Port Adelaide didn't agree with your strategy either. Sweet only played seniors once soldo went down.
This is the point though, don’t really need a star putting it on a platter just be physical, negate the other ruck and create space for your mids.

And btw Soldo has been fit for a little while now, Sweet went past him when it mattered to the point where Soldo might want out

As a heads up between them, most people would take Soldo over Sweet, but that isn’t the argument as Soldo isn’t English either.

It’s also not about always putting it on a platter either, English generally has a very good hit outs to advantage record - when he gets his hand to it. I’m talking about the effort all of our mids are required to put in when English isn’t combative enough. We usually do very well on the clearance side of things compared to direct hit outs, but in case you haven’t noticed, the majority of our attacks are very labour intensive.

How many times have we finally battled our way to a goal, then give one up with ease going the other way basically straight away? I’d love to be the team scoring the other way just as easy every now and then, just by being on top of the play. And that generally starts with a ruck that can compete.

Minson & Hudson are 2 rucks in recent memory that may not have been the most prolific, but competed like animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back