Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the power lied with me, this is how I'd go.

Trade:
Smith
Macrae

Delist:
Keath
Bedendo
Clarke
VDM (paid out)
JJ

Rookie:
Rypstra

I would then go to the draft with any R1 and 2 picks, and then get hard-headed mature aged players. The type that would run through a brick wall to get the job done. Clay Smith, Briggs, Morris, M.Boyd types. I'd be going to the state leagues and looking at 2 stats: Tackles vs. Goals. Find the best small forwards who tackle and score.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Serious question did you watch Rypstra in the vfl at all?
Also two hamstrings after a serious leg injury I think shows his body can’t stand up to the riggers of full time football.
I’d be shocked if he is kept ahead of Clarke.

Also two hamstrings after a serious leg injury I think shows his body can’t stand up to the riggers of full time football.
VDM was also a walk up start all year despite bigfooty's gripes no way he is getting delisted especially given he is in contract.

We damn near let go of Wood for a similar sentiment.
Lucky VU got ahold of him one pre-season and re-taught him how to run without shredding his hamstrings.

I wouldn't be against trying to open up Bakers list spot. I've got Poulter ahead of him and we will likely bring in more outside mids through the draft. An extra pick this draft could be useful.

Cleary lucky to be contracted for so long.

But Sicily won't because 'everyone is an individual and has a personality' and all that. Only problem is it's a team game and the actions of one impact all. Amazing Ginnivan hasn't figured that out yet.

FWIW, I wake up this morning and think we should move heaven and earth to get Butters. Would change us enormously in an instant.
I think the only way we can get Butters this trade period is to trade JUH for him. They need a forward, we have too many.
I just don’t see how else we do it. Smith pick and next years first isn’t going to cut it.
I’m not sure club or supporter group would be ballzy enough to accept a deal losing JUH, but got to give to get.

Last edited:
Yes he was and still is. He's useless in every other facet of the game other than stoppages. That said, I'm starting to think he's attributes are more important as a ruckman than English's and he'd suit our team better.
So in effect he ISN’T a spud. Would English have chase/tackle like Sweet did on Chol?
Being a good ruckman isn’t about possession and goals, it’s about blocking, dropping into a hole, making midfielders feel protected, taps to advantage, toughness. Sweet is better than English in all of those.
He’s not a bad kick and is athletically sound. He’s not soft, Tim as we all know is soft.

The finals this weekend seemed a contrast of small forwards and big forwards

Friday night small forwards a key last night big forwards a key

But in both games having the whole team on same page makes a forward line function

We have both

We should have much to look forward to with Marra Naughts Darcy Cody and one or two other smart hardworking forwards

Need to sort out synergy and get a competitive ruck to feed the side

If still persevere with arty. I believe he made good improvements second half of the year.
I am perplexed most say delist Clarke keep arty. Clarke a year younger and statistically he has arty covered. I agrrr Clarke has looked flat at times in second half of the year but to me it looks mental. Seem to lose confidence after his senior game. Definitely hope we keep him. Even if it’s as a rookie
Why keep a plodder like Clarke? Stats ain't everything, and in case you hadn't noticed we aren't exactly brimming with leg speed...

You need to look at the possible upside. Jones has far more potential in the modern game.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Might be a bit far left field and will prob get lambasted, but given our fwd structure, what would we get trading Cody? I’m not advocating it at all, more just a thought.

We have 3 tall fwds that can mark or bring ball to ground and a sml fwd that flys against them rather than roving to them.

He has been great and turned/won games off his own boot for us, but he would have good value and is not what we need. We need a genuine kozzi, Milne, Cyril type that is quick and can rove and provide tackle pressure.

Won’t happen but I think is at least worth a thought given our structure and needs list.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There's been a lot of talk about English this year and rightfully so. He had a poor year and a terrible last month, however I think people are being unfair when minimising his All Australian season in 2023 and not giving him credit for the things he does well. He was a deserving All Australian in 2023 and I'm hoping he bounces back in 2025

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke deserves another year on pedigree as much as anything, and his VFL numbers haven’t been bad. Would want a massive pre-season though, should strap himself to Bont
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'pedigree'? I think he can play just not sure he'll make it at afl level. Hope I'm wrong though.

Need to be careful offering guys like JJ, Clarke, Keath etc 1 more year as there are already 5 likely/potential de listings next year + 3 potential retirements. Having clear de listings 12 months out is a sign we are keeping players too long and raises the question again as to why depth players are being offered 2 and 3 year deals.

This year:
Bedendo
JJ
Keath
Clarke (re rookied)
O'Driscoll
Smith traded
McRea traded

Already next year we've got
Cleary
Scott
A Jones
Baker
Poulter
Plus Libba, Dureya and L. Jones realistically could retire

Cleary and Scott would have been easy de listings this year if they weren't contracted. Muture aged players outside the best 23 should be 1 year deals only, they are needed on the list but need to turn them over quicker.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'pedigree'? I think he can play just not sure he'll make it at afl level. Hope I'm wrong though.
My assumption of that is because he was a highish pick?
Yeah basically, we obviously saw something to rate him pretty highly just a couple of years ago and there’s been some flashes. I think he gets one more year to show something

Clarke deserves another year on pedigree as much as anything, and his VFL numbers haven’t been bad. Would want a massive pre-season though, should strap himself to Bont

Problem with Clarke is a bit like Cleary. There’s nothing special about him. He’s slow and doesn’t have X factor, but is a decent footballer at VFL level.

Unpopular opinion but I'd trade Garcia. Putting aside my personal opinion that he's overrated on here, we clearly don't trust him as a midfielder and he won't make it as a forward. IMO we need to replenish, and he's worth more as an asset (yes, acknowledging he's not worth a great deal) than he is to retain.

Ret./Delist
Keath, Bedendo, Rypstra

Trade Table
Garcia, Smith, Cleary, Macrae (but would rather he stays)

Re-Sign
JJ (one year), Duryea (one year), McNeil

Clarke may need to move to the rookie list depending on other changes.

Yeah basically, we obviously saw something to rate him pretty highly just a couple of years ago and there’s been some flashes. I think he gets one more year to show something
Got it. Wow pick 24, I thought he was a much later pick. He's still only 20 and looks like he needs a fair bit more physical development. That said his bio has him at 183 cm and 81 kg which is surprising. He looks smaller than that. I'd give him at least another year.

Need to be careful offering guys like JJ, Clarke, Keath etc 1 more year as there are already 5 likely/potential de listings next year + 3 potential retirements. Having clear de listings 12 months out is a sign we are keeping players too long and raises the question again as to why depth players are being offered 2 and 3 year deals.

This year:
Bedendo
JJ
Keath
Clarke (re rookied)
O'Driscoll
Smith traded
McRea traded

Already next year we've got
Cleary
Scott
A Jones
Baker
Poulter
Plus Libba, Dureya and L. Jones realistically could retire

Cleary and Scott would have been easy de listings this year if they weren't contracted. Muture aged players outside the best 23 should be 1 year deals only, they are needed on the list but need to turn them over quicker.
I hope whatever team Macrae goes to has fans that actually bother to learn how to spell his last name. He deserves at least that.

Unpopular opinion but I'd trade Garcia. Putting aside my personal opinion that he's overrated on here, we clearly don't trust him as a midfielder and he won't make it as a forward. IMO we need to replenish, and he's worth more as an asset (yes, acknowledging he's not worth a great deal) than he is to retain.

Ret./Delist
Keath, Bedendo, Rypstra

Trade Table
Garcia, Smith, Cleary, Macrae (but would rather he stays)

Re-Sign
JJ (one year), Duryea (one year), McNeil

Clarke may need to move to the rookie list depending on other changes.
Garcia is a fast tough midfielder with avg kicking ability imo

Ideally, I see Joel and Sanders playing more AFL mid next year so unsure where he fits there

Have I missed something with all the Cleary hate and wanting to delist/pay out as he has a contract?

He’s been solid in the VFL, he has always performed when called upon to play AFL.

Is he a starter in our best team? No

Is he a liability when called on at AFL level? No

Is he decent depth that can be relied upon for a game now and then? Yes

You can’t have 40 best 23 players you need depth and role players on minimum money contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back