Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Prospects for this off-season look very grim if O’Driscoll and Peatling re-sign.

Have to hit the draft hard and hope for a lot of internal development

The way it is the moment it is very difficult to see relative to lot other teams it difficult see how we do not go backwards.

No first round picks at present probably get a late for Bailey, no free agents or quality trade likely. The only way we get better is from within or draft some ready made players. Truth some players will improve and some will go backwards.

I say we will be in battle to make the 8 again at best.

Please Garcia. We’re screwed if you leave.

Given Jack and Bailey are going would prefer to keep him definitely as you can become pretty thin in the midfield with couple of injuries etc

hopefully he stays

Surely we have someone in our sights trade-wise. We wouldn't be offloading Macrae and his entire salary (meaning the pick we get back is less) if we weren't clearing the decks for someone.
I'm sure we do, but it's more likely ensuring that Jamarra, Darcy and to a lesser extent Freijah get re-signed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way it is the moment it is very difficult to see relative to lot other teams it difficult see how we do not go backwards.

No first round picks at present probably get a late for Bailey, no free agents or quality trade likely. The only way we get better is from within or draft some ready made players. Truth some players will improve and some will go backwards.

Your name is not living up to this post!

While I don't disagree that every team has young players... there's every argument to make that Joel Freijah, ignoring his draft position, was the second-most impressive genuine 18-year-old this season after Harley Reid. There's still a lot of his career to play out (obviously) but I would be less surprised if he breaks out and becomes a top-50 player in the league as soon as next year merely on the historical rarity of 18-year-olds playing as well as he did. Other than West Coast, with Reid, there's none of the 17 other clubs you can say that about.

Freijah has already added another year into his contract
It was more in keeping with the fact that first-round draft picks get three-year contracts and given he was as good as a first-round pick we sort of gave him that goodwill extra year without negotiating with a big bonus other than what's already agreed upon for first-round draftees.

More if he starts off next year well we would want to sign him ti a long term 5-7 year deal, even if he does have two years left.

it’s possible we battle or go backwards of course, but alternatively… we were only one win from the top 4. a lot of metrics had us as the best team or at very least a genuine contender. the hawks were possibly our worst matchup with their ability to spread. a different draw and who knows we might still be playing.

still many reasons to be optimistic about internal improvement from jamarra, darcy, sanders, freijah, garcia (if he stays), buss etc.
richards and lobb getting full pre seasons in their new positions. hopefully a new forward coach as well as add bulk speed through the draft.
i have questions about english like many on here but i think there has been some serious revisionism on his 2023 season. perhaps (i hope) he can bounce back now that his contract is settled.

winning the offseason is completely overrated. would you rather we overpaid for mediocre talent a la essendon?

the sky is not falling, many fan bases would still kill for our list.

Collingwood (and the arseclowns
at GC will do it) want pick 12 for Noble and we'll end up with a pick in the early 20s for Smith...and maybe a few bags of Cotton On clothing.

The wonderful world of AFL. Totally screwed.

At this point no one can seriously be surprised by our apparent targets re-signing or going elsewhere. It's entirely par for course.

Until a player publicly nominates us there's zero point getting excited about any player linked to the Bulldogs because you'll almost certainly just end up disappointed.

just watched 'gettable'

saying we are one of 4 in the running for Houston with no one clear favourite, as blues cap is tight and not willing to give up 12. if we can get into the mid first round and willing to give it and a future second, we are in the hunt

were one of many still in the hunt for peatling

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back