Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

the club will get nothing if they send Smith into the draft
Yes, but you get nothing in the aggregate over all trades if you fail to ever make the other club blink first and pay more rather than allowing a player they convinced to nominate go through the draft.

By all accounts it was only our sincere willingness - that we got board approval of and informed Brisbane of that fact - to let Dunkley go through the draft, that got Brisbane to add more to their trade haul at the end of the the trade period. You don't have that sincere willingness, and other clubs can see through that, and lowball you, because they know that you'll accept anything that is more than nothing because "it is more than nothing".

By definition, pick 50 is more than nothing, but even you can agree you'd rather send him to the draft than accept pick 50? You can extend that same logic out to trades that are worth a lot more.

The Dogs should be in SDK ear (if the Dogs want him) and tell him we believe we have a fair deal with B.Smith going to Cats and we want you in this role for next x years.

If SDK tells Cats I want out and I want to go to the Kennel and they have a fair deal ready with B.Smith that would change everything.

What applies to SDK you could apply to any Geelong player that club believes would make us better or in addition to the measly picks they will give

Last edited:
I think Geelong could afford to release DeKoning. They might squeeze another year out of Stanley but they have a very good emerging ruck in Toby Conway in the wings. Shannon Neale, now playing forward, is another tall who can play part time ruck as well. They also recruited a highly rated junior ruck in last year's draft: Mitch Edwards, who has been injured for much of the year. So, it's not as if they don't have cover.
The question is whether we need another tall when our list cries out for quick mids and wingers with good disposal.

I think Geelong could afford to release DeKoning. They might squeeze another year out of Stanley but they have a very good emerging ruck in Toby Conway in the wings. Shannon Neale, now playing forward, is another tall who can play part time ruck as well. They also recruited a highly rated junior ruck in last year's draft: Mitch Edwards, who has been injured for much of the year. So, it's not as if they don't have cover.
The question is whether we need another tall when our list cries out for quick mids and wingers with good disposal.
Bevo pitching SDK to come to us because Scott plays him out of position would be gold.

What are the chances we send him to the draft and get a priority pick after where our first would’ve landed, like FA compensation?
Doesn't work like that

If he goes into the draft, we get nothing

I posted something similar previously

Reg B Smith I have heard the AFL is on notice that this deal can go south and there will be unhappy parties for all involved that is clubs, player and PR disaster for AFL.

The AFL looking into third party agreement is true but not the whole story

Dogs are not happy

Besides a third party being involved in luring him out, what else might we be unhappy about?

Looking at the draft pick situation
Ideally,

Geelong- Bailey Smith + Future 2nd, 48
Dogs- SDK + 15

Looking at the draft pick situation
Ideally,

Geelong- Bailey Smith + Future 2nd, 48
Dogs- SDK + 15

There’s no way Geelong hand over SDK and a first

Besides a third party being involved in luring him out, what else might we be unhappy about?

Cats were in his ear from last year and probably knew he was going to them yet they did nothing last year to have a better hand this year to satisfy a deal for a player that B Smith is.

There are plenty of other trades spoken about that are setting up what the market is

Dealing with Mackie is very different to dealing with previous list people at the Cats.

Smith choosing his own surgeon was strange and they are not a great wrap for the way Smith has gone about somethings.

Power is not naive, he and club knew Smith was out the door and to the Cats for a long time.

I could be wrong but I thought Richards was the no.1 kick inside 50?
No 2.
Houston first, Richards second, daylight to third

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues are already spending $1.6 mill of their cap on Zac Williams and Saad. Add a fat contract to Houston and that's a lot on back flankers.

Williams moved forward this year and definitely looks like a position he'll stay in but yes you are right. Already given up a top 10 pick for Saad too. Doing a pretty ordinary job at developing their own, especially in their back half. I don't mind the look of Cowan in his first couple of seasons

Houston is 27 and has 3 years left on a deal, so at a minimum he'll be looking to come over on a 5, maybe 6 year deal wherever he lands.

F**k him. Send the half mongrel to the draft for the bottom feeders to battle over.

I’d happily take nothing than continue the trend of getting reamed by other clubs under the encouragement of the media.

The club needs to hold firm and demand what they deem sufficient. It’s about time we became a difficult club to trade with.

F**k him. Send the half mongrel to the draft for the bottom feeders to battle over.

I’d happily take nothing than continue the trend of getting reamed by other clubs under the encouragement of the media.

The club needs to hold firm and demand what they deem sufficient. It’s about time we became a difficult club to trade with.

I'm not against it if we're getting really screwed over but there is a long time for it to play out and I'm confident Power will get something reasonable, even if we consider it slightly unders.

Does the we're not trading him, send him to the PSD approach really work that well for future trades though? Gold Coast obviously did it with Martin as they didn't consider a future second and future third as adequate. It didn't stop Gold Coast getting reamed after that and those additional assets would've come in handy that year and the following when they decided to let Geelong have their way with them

Honestly if we were to publicly demand SDK in exchange for Smith a year before he goes out of contract then that would be a good statement to make instead of rolling over in exchange for pick 18.
Perfect it would be.

As much as Cats would scream blue murder (look that one up, young'uns😁) it would be the fairest deal of all.

Who wrote this garbage?

He was really upset to miss the preliminary final, of course.

Well. Derrrr,

It’s going to be challenging for him to get hit spot back, but the Cats have 12 months to placate him."

Im not sure how a 23 year old KPD who played 19 games this season until getting a serious knee injury. Is going to find it challenging to get his spot back.

Its the kind of lazy bigfooty friendly click-bait trade news that one would expect to be from Jon Ralph.

Oh, thats right. Of course it was written by Ralph.

No they can't.

Because SDK is a full back.

The only cover they have in his role is an undersized Jack Henry. Or the equally undersized Jake Kolodjashnij who is currently out of contract. Mark Blicavs plays tends to plat CHB when not required to cover their paper thin ruck stocks.

Clearly the latter.

Last edited:
I'm not against it if we're getting really screwed over but there is a long time for it to play out and I'm confident Power will get something reasonable, even if we consider it slightly unders.

Does the we're not trading him, send him to the PSD approach really work that well for future trades though? Gold Coast obviously did it with Martin as they didn't consider a future second and future third as adequate. It didn't stop Gold Coast getting reamed after that and those additional assets would've come in handy that year and the following when they decided to let Geelong have their way with them
One thing to consider about the national/pre-season draft element is that ultimately Smith is not a free agent, and is seeking a trade to a team that finished higher than the ladder than us.

Our concepts of "being screwed" operate in that framework. Plenty of other players have accepted that they're at least somewhat tied to the club that drafted them, until they become a free agent after 8 years. A few other players screw over their clubs (I keep coming back to the Jackson Hately example, a top draft pick that never intended to stay at GWS and wanted to go back home to Adelaide, who in turn screwed over GWS by not trading a reasonable pick for him). But at least you can say in that instance it's equalisation in operation - Hately was moving from a top to bottom club at that time (GWS to Adelaide).

Consider Ben McKay leaving North for Essendon as a free agent, Karl Amon leaving Port, and even restricted Free Agency players having a much smoother trade like Dangerfield himself. All of whom clearly wanted to leave the club that drafted them for whatever reasons, but understood that they had a commitment to the team that drafted them until they were free agency eligible.

A lot of these issues would have clearly been avoided if Smith just put his ego aside and had some patience for a couple more years, waited it out to free agency, and left then.

A lot of these issues would have clearly been avoided if Geelong didn't act so entitled that they could recruit non-free agents, from teams that they finished higher than - for equalisation to have to mean something in the league in a draft and salary cap system that the AFL operates under, that has to logically be a more difficult task for a team.

You seriously want Sammy Power to channel his inner Adrian Dodoro?

Come to think of it, Dodo is out of work, we might as well hire him.

The dogs will also be doing a facility tour for a lesser known out of contract player from Geelong in the coming days.
Clohesy

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back