Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

So....................
Had a quick chin wag with player-manager mate this morning.

Off the grapevine, he has heard some interesting things re: Smith.

Connors specifically told Smith not to go to the Geelong prelim.

That photo of Smith sitting in the Geelong section next to the owners of Cotton On has not only pissed off Connors from a negotiation standpoint but has also raised a few more red flags at AFL house, a really, really bad look.

My mate reckons is this was messy before it's now gone up a notch.
Going by this article it didn’t go too well within the club

I got that pic of Bailey off a obscure facebook page and pretty much put it on a heap of dogs pages including here. Not saying thats the reason its blown up, but if it was i'm happy i played my part in a small way of putting pressure on Geelong and the Baz camp 😂 😂 😂

I certainly didn't see it getting around anywhere else, but do now all over the socials haha

Simple fact Baz is only one asset. There are multiple assets available including most other players, current and futrure draft picks.

We are not just building a list for next season we are building one for the next 5 years too.

Jones is towards the end, Lobb is over 30, JOD shows potential but not there yet, Buss has not played a game, Buku has significant weaknesses etc so bringing in a competent KPD who still has significant Growth potential is a massive need. I was against the Barrass move as it appeared too short term given his age and body but SDK is the perfect profile of what we need not only for next season but for the next 5.

Yes we need mids and they can come from the resources noted above as well as via the draft and internally through the development of Sanders and Freijah as examples. Same goes for small forwards and defenders.

There are multiple layers of complexity and just attaching outcomes to one asset only is simply not how this works

Sure but we didn't do ourselves any favours when we traded our f1 away. There are many moving parts but since we re-signed Tim and forewent a compo pick Baz probably forms most of what we have to work with this year.

I would be happy with Jod-Buss forming the core of our young KPDs and shoring up with older talent down the line given our current stocks. Our backline is far from perfect but I would be content with it for 2025 and focusing on other needs this trade period. Not to throw caution to the wind with list management but the comp is wide open and I think it's the time to really nail down a couple of immediate areas that are big weaknesses for us. Of course we could address all of them via bringing in fringe players from other clubs or drafting but the better the asset(s) we trade off the more confident we can be of such a move paying off.

Heard that the AFL have looked at the nature of Smith's work with Cotton On (is he actually providing the value he's getting paid for, not in the context of a trade but just generally the idea of the ASA and general salary cap investigations) well in advance of him even doing his ACL last year and in the early stages of this year, in addition to the media discussion about the nature of it this time around.

It wasn't guaranteed he would go to Geelong at that time (before Hawks realigned to pay more to Barrass and Battle to convince them to come across) but it does look very dodgy.

Think they might be right. We have Jones/Lobb, plus Buss, O'Donnell, Buku, Croft. We need outside speed (Holmes) or small forwards (Mannagh).
Croft has the agility and speed of a midfielder. We can mould him into what we need. Buku is NOT a KPP. His lack of agility though means he has to play as one. He’s shorter than the Bont but not athletic/fast enough to play other positions. I’d bring in SDK if we could and cement our backline for the next 5-10 years. I’d then look to shift Croft onto a wing.

I got that pic of Bailey off a obscure facebook page and pretty much put it on a heap of dogs pages including here. Not saying thats the reason its blown up, but if it was i'm happy i played my part in a small way of putting pressure on Geelong and the Baz camp 😂 😂 😂

I certainly didn't see it getting around anywhere else, but do now all over the socials haha

good boy bulldog GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Going by this article it didn’t go too well within the club

Scott Gullen is a really strange sort of Bulldogs supporter.

Claims to support us but has been enamoured with Geelong for a long time.

He states in that article that there is nothing unusual about Cotton On becoming a personal sponsor of Bailey Snithh in 2022.

For mine, it should be 'unusual' that the major sponsor of an AFL club decides to personally sponsor a very good young player from another AFL club who, at the time, had two years to run on his contract.

Smith has really screwed us over here. He could have taken the two year extension up to free agency, got his body right after the knee reco and found some form again.

We would have then been adequately compensated for the move but how could he say no to going now given that he already has a commercial relationship with Geelong's major sponsor?

It stinks but I expect that the AFL will show their usual veneer of concern and then wave the deal through.

Heard that the AFL have looked at the nature of Smith's work with Cotton On (is he actually providing the value he's getting paid for, not in the context of a trade but just generally the idea of the ASA and general salary cap investigations) well in advance of him even doing his ACL last year and in the early stages of this year, in addition to the media discussion about the nature of it this time around.

It wasn't guaranteed he would go to Geelong at that time (before Hawks realigned to pay more to Barrass and Battle to convince them to come across) but it does look very dodgy.
The problem is that I actually think it's a reasonably justifiable deal. This isn't Chris Judd cutting a few ribbons at random Visy announcements.

Smith is the poster boy in a significant amount of cotton on branding. He has an enormous social media following made up of mostly the exact demographic that Cotton On would be targeting.

They aren't paying him for work produced. They're paying him for his brand which is much much harder to quantify.

Caleb Daniel assessing his options. North Melbourne the most likely destination if he leaves — via Callum Twomey Gettable

Last edited:
Caleb Daniel assessing his options. North Melbourne the most likely destination if he leaves - Gettable

Geez mass culling if he and Garcia leave. I don’t hate it, but let’s hope the kids we bring in are decent.

Who is worth more, CD or Macrae?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott Gullen is a really strange sort of Bulldogs supporter.

Claims to support us but has been enamoured with Geelong for a long time.

Sounds like Dave O'Neil. Has claimed to be a Bulkdogs supporter for years, and I've even spoken to him about it a couple of times after his shows, once after a set where he was supported by Danny McGinlay. While not passionate, he implied he was committed.

Then on several fill in stints on the wireless this year for 774 Melbourne, talks about how he is a passionate Cats supporter!

So....................
Had a quick chin wag with player-manager mate this morning.

Off the grapevine, he has heard some interesting things re: Smith.

Connors specifically told Smith not to go to the Geelong prelim.

That photo of Smith sitting in the Geelong section next to the owners of Cotton On has not only pissed off Connors from a negotiation standpoint but has also raised a few more red flags at AFL house, a really, really bad look.

My mate reckons is this was messy before it's now gone up a notch.
Just came here to post very similar. The Bulldogs have now made an official request for the AFL to look further into the connection between Bailey and cotton on dating back to the original signing date. This will potentially blow up in a huge way with the potential for the club to take it further through the legal system not the AFL itself.
Law is not my area of expertise but essentially the belief is that Geelong have been paying Smith via a third party whilst he was under contract at the dogs in a sort of handshake deal that he would seek a trade at the end of the contract, thus breaking the terms of the contract. Things are going to get very, very messy.

The problem is that I actually think it's a reasonably justifiable deal. This isn't Chris Judd cutting a few ribbons at random Visy announcements.

Smith is the poster boy in a significant amount of cotton on branding. He has an enormous social media following made up of mostly the exact demographic that Cotton On would be targeting.

They aren't paying him for work produced. They're paying him for his brand which is much much harder to quantify.
Sure, but an average influencer account with 300k followers (many of whom are teenagers without that much disposable income, anwyay), aren't worth tens of thousands to sponsors. Cotton On in theory could get the same social media cache by paying a non-AFL influencer far, far less, which is why it has been investigated.

Geez mass culling if he and Garcia leave. I don’t hate it, but let’s hope the kids we bring in are decent.

We're shedding a lot of salary cap room. Something tells me that we are going for a big fish in the next 12 months.

I’d say Macrae but probably close to a draw. Think at best you’re looking at a third rounder (Macrae maybe enough to get a future third as well), nothing significant.

Just came here to post very similar. The Bulldogs have now made an official request for the AFL to look further into the connection between Bailey and cotton on dating back to the original signing date. This will potentially blow up in a huge way with the potential for the club to take it further through the legal system not the AFL itself.
Law is not my area of expertise but essentially the belief is that Geelong have been paying Smith via a third party whilst he was under contract at the dogs in a sort of handshake deal that he would seek a trade at the end of the contract, thus breaking the terms of the contract. Things are going to get very, very messy.
Surely we end up with massive overs in the trade to keep it all quiet 😂

**** he is a moron

Would be interesting to hear what the hawks think of their negotiations with him, from all reports they were ready to pay big on terms of contract and draft pick last season but there was no movement from his management

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back