Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's 24 and played 10-15 solid games of AFL footy if we are giving up anything under pick 30 or more than 500k for him we are setting our selves up for a huge backfire
Peatling's got all the makings of a player who needs opportunity though.

Every time he's in the VFL he's gone out and dominated.

He's never going to go past their gun mids but also GWS's more balanced spots.

I honestly think GWS should have given him far more of a go given that they were winning games without playing that well at times this season, so were reluctant to make changes because an individual match had a W, even though they didn't do a lot of things well and bad teams were only losing narrowly to them by kicking inaccurately, and could have won and embarrassed GWS if they'd just nailed a couple of set shots.

It's also not a Garcia thing where you look at his physical attributes in terms of height, agility etc. and see that there's limitations, irrespective of the gaudy VFL stats.

There's more to Peatling as a player than your summary above.

Last edited:
He's 24 and played 10-15 solid games of AFL footy if we are giving up anything under pick 30 or more than 500k for him we are setting our selves up for a huge backfire
Average wage for this season was $440K, and I don't think anyone in their right mind is saying early-mid second or better for him.

What Bailey Smith has done is collusion
(secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy in order to deceive others) with Geelong through Cotton On while still employed by the dogs.

Take it up with the AFL and the AFLPA who have allowed the third party payments rort to expand outside of their original purpose of promoting the game.

To see that photo of Bailey in the stands with Geelong during their preliminary final is nothing more than a sackable offence.

Sackable by who? He's out of contract.

As good as it is to get some compensation for that idiot, as a company, the dogs have to set an example to discourage other future dogs players from collusion with other clubs.

Im not sure that negotiating player contracts whilst holding the threat of being sent to the PSD to their head is conducive to player retention, let alone attracting players to the club.

Sammy should send Bailey to the PSD, and not help Bailey get what he wants like a spoilt child.

As it stands Sam Power holds 2 picks in the mid 40's that will inevitably slide into the 50's.

The idea that he is going to forfeit a chance to get back into the top end of the draft just so that he can teach an ex-player or the wider competition a lesson is a nonsense. If that happens all that it will prove is that we as a club are petulantly amateurish and incompetent.

What will happen is Sam Power will strike the best deal possible given the restrictions clubs have placed upon them when a player nominates the club of their choice and then move on.

Last edited:

There is another thing and that is a current rival for the premiership doesn’t get him. Why make Geelong better?

Again. The outcome remains the same.

Because he's just as likely to end up at Geelong if we make him a DFA.

Un-contracted players invariably get to the club of their choice.

It's just the reality of the way the game and the movement of players between clubs is structured.

Again. The outcome remains the same.

Because he's just as likely to end up at Geelong if we make him a DFA.

Un-contracted players invariably get to the club of their choice.

It's just a reality of the way the game is structured.
Rocket Eade just mentioned on Danny McGinlay’s podcast the other day that Geelong had to pay GWS all those top picks because they (Geelong) had promised Jeremy Cameron and then had to find a way to make it happen.
It’s a long drive from Newtown to Punt Road every day, make Bailey and Geelong understand this.
I want my club to fight. I want the club to be strong and bold enough to say to the bigger clubs f$&k off! I can’t support a club that just shrugs its shoulders and crumbles.

The outcome remains the same.

The fans get some kind of weird schadenfreude satisfaction.

The club gets **** all.
To be clear, I don't think for a minute we should sack him and turn him into a DFA. We're better off sending him to the PSD so Geelong more likely miss out on him than letting him walk there without restriction. I fully agree with you that it's all posturing and in the end a trade will almost certainly be agreed upon, at a value we're probably not happy with but at least it will be something back in return.

Take it up with the AFL and the AFLPA who have allowed the third party payments rort to expand outside of their original purpose of promoting the game.
We are.

Sackable by who? He's out of contract.

Agree this is dumb

Im not sure that negotiating player contracts whilst holding the threat of being sent to the PSD to their head is conducive to player retention, let alone attracting players to the club.

But that's the rub of a system that doesn't bat an eyelid to a player who is out of contract, but requesting a trade to a specific club having already agreed with terms (unofficially) with that club, and not a free agent.

Agree it's not conducive to a good player environment but at the same time we've got to leverage a situation as best as possible to maximise our draft return. If we were not sincere with our PSD threat, Geelong could offer a take-it-or-leave it trade offer which then what? We're forced to take because we're not bringing the PSD to the table?

We have to weigh up the threat being bad for player retention against the idea that more draft picks is good to help the team win.

As it stands Sam Power holds 2 picks in the mid 40's that will inevitably slide into the 50's.
The sliding happens at the top end. Bids get matched in the top 20 by picks in the 30's and 40s, so while picks in the teens slide down, later picks slide up as teams use 2 later picks to match 1 earlier pick. Understand the system you're explaining!
The idea that he is going to forfeit a chance to get back into the top end of the draft just so that he can teach an ex-player or the wider competition a lesson is a nonsense.
That I trust. The issue is Geelong know that too.
If that happens all that it will prove is that we as a club are petulantly amateurish and incompetent.
But we have to weigh that against the fact that if we bend over and accept less in a trade for Smith, that would also represent a amateurish and incompetent, as we're not trying to use the systems to maximise a trade haul.
What will happen is Sam Power will strike the best deal possible given the restrictions clubs have placed upon them when a player nominates the club of their choice and then move on.
We all agree on that, we're just disagreeing on the systems and leverage and our relationship to Geelong and the steps they've taken.

The outcome remains the same.

The fans get some kind of weird schadenfreude satisfaction.

The club gets **** all.
He's under contract until 30 October this year, but it's moot - Baz was there as a guest of the Cotton On owners, not in Geelong seats.

A deal will happen but it might get ugly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's under contract until 30 October this year

Thanks Mofra, was about to post the same. As you say (and sorry I've omitted that part of your post to highlight your first sentence) it's moot anyway in that scenario.

But worth remembering by all of us, he is technically still an employee of the club for another 4 weeks.

Would be amazing if Geelong dump Bazlenka for Clayton Oliver.

Also reports that Perryman’s deal is on par with Josh Battle, so $850k-$900k a year. Yikes!

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back