Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not going to comment on the integrity of information from sources or buy into the arguments on here but if JUH was traded, the club would need to be ready with a pretty solid explanation for members and fans that only stops at information that just cannot be disclosed. “There was a decision made that it would be best for all parties to explore a trade and a fresh start” may not cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If it was 7, 8 and F1(what I think it would take), then the explanation would be the opportunity to rebalance the list with 3 top 10 picks.

So speculation that Tim Kelly may swap clubs has made the media but something as significant as JUH being traded is dead quiet. Must be some pretty serious embargo arrangements between the club and media.

I honestly suspect there is a lot of silly season speculation in all of this. It’d obviously be the story of trade season if it actually happened.

Not going to comment on the integrity of information from sources or buy into the arguments on here but if JUH was traded, the club would need to be ready with a pretty solid explanation for members and fans that only stops at information that just cannot be disclosed. “There was a decision made that it would be best for all parties to explore a trade and a fresh start” may not cut it.

I certainly would never entertain the idea of trading him (at least not this year) but there are a number of reasons why it would make sense in a fantasy 2k land where players aren't people and are simply commodities.

• An opportunity to land a massive trade haul while his value is sky high and hit the draft.
  • An opportunity to use the trade haul to acquire an elite midfielder to rebalance our list.
  • An opportunity to clear a huge amount of salary (now and in two years time) that would be better placed elsewhere given the current investment in our talls.
  • The notion that we may have enough goal scoring offensive power with Darcy, Naughton, Weightman & potentially Croft.
  • A possible attitude problem.

I remember when they said 2012 was stacked. Super draft - amazing talent blah blah.

Have a look at the 2012 top 20.

Not saying this isn’t a good draft at face value - particularly picks 8-20 compared to the same picks in other years - just that it doesn’t always pan out.
The draft is stacked every second or third year.

Yet nobody says in the other year or two out of three that it's a "weak" draft.

FWIW I do remember the 2014 draft (the one we traded out of to get Boyd when were were apparently interested in Wright) being considered as "weak" though it doesn't get as much run time in the media as the opposite of "strong". I do remember a few people saying a few players drafted in the latter part of the top 10 - Marchbank, Ahern, Corey Ellis etc - were only just top 15/20 draft quality in other years.

You'd take their firsts this year plus a future first in heartbeat and send them straight to Port for Butters
I'd only be happy with this if we were certain we could trade the picks for a top line mid like Butters. Or at a minimum trade some combination of them for a player like Callaghan and keep the rest.

If it was 7, 8 and F1(what I think it would take), then the explanation would be the opportunity to rebalance the list with 3 top 10 picks.

That’s an explanation that writes itself, agree. Among a large group of fans that are oblivious to any of the rumblings we read, it would be heartbreaking for the club to trade him. Hence I don’t think the rebalancing the list explanation would ever be adequate.

No one doubts his talent and what he could become, however effort and attitude are non-negotiable and what Marra displayed in our most important game of the year had me seriously considering his place at the club.

It is interesting though that both Jamarra and Smith to me are players that have the theoretical ceiling of the games' best players, but also have some extreme and unique weaknesses.

Smith has a great capacity to utilise in-game work rate with his spread and running capacity unique. He's shown match-winning ability at a young age with a number of dominant performances in individual games within his first 5 seasons unmached by a number of other young players, including in finals. He also has inside/outside positional versatility. Yet some his his kicking was among the worst in the league, and his personality has been discussed significiantly over here.

Jamarra is a natural all-around forward who is uniquely good in generating shots both through natural positioning in pack situations and being more athletic than key forwards and outmarking smalls. Generating an average of 5+ shots per game at his age is nothing to be sneezed at and he should be in the top 5 for shots generating over the rest of his career, with an ability to understand how to manipulate a defence to get on the end of the ball and eventually take a shot on goal (something that the league average is less than 40% of the time) clearly innate and unmatched by almost all AFL forwards.

Yet of his 100+ shots as many 26 failed to even register a score, and each shot he took generatically a comically poor 2.77 points per shot attempt. His 100 shots from 40+ metres out in his career have only generated 25 goals, and that's enough of a sample size and both terribly poor to suggest it's a combination of both mental and technical for a player to be that poor from kicking at that distance, while additionally an element of selfishness by not passing up shots to others. There have been multiple games that there's been a lack of pressure and ability to win the ball in a way that links up play other than generating a shot himself (often 1 goal or 2 from 4-5 shots), inhibiting our ability to play an 18-man game.

It does make you wonder about our team's ability to maximise strenths and minimise weaknesses in a system if they're two players we might have moved on from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is interesting though that both Jamarra and Smith to me are players that have the theoretical ceiling of the games' best players, but also have some extreme and unique weaknesses.

Smith has a great capacity to utilise in-game work rate with his spread and running capacity unique. He's shown match-winning ability at a young age with a number of dominant performances in individual games within his first 5 seasons unmached by a number of other young players, including in finals. He also has inside/outside positional versatility. Yet some his his kicking was among the worst in the league, and his personality has been discussed significiantly over here.

Jamarra is a natural all-around forward who is uniquely good in generating shots both through natural positioning in pack situations and being more athletic than key forwards and outmarking smalls. Generating an average of 5+ shots per game at his age is nothing to be sneezed at and he should be in the top 5 for shots generating over the rest of his career, with an ability to understand how to manipulate a defence to get on the end of the ball and eventually take a shot on goal (something that the league average is less than 40% of the time) clearly innate and unmatched by almost all AFL forwards.

Yet of his 100+ shots as many 26 failed to even register a score, and each shot he took generatically a comically poor 2.77 points per shot attempt. His 100 shots from 40+ metres out in his career have only generated 25 goals, and that's enough of a sample size and both terribly poor to suggest it's a combination of both mental and technical for a player to be that poor from kicking at that distance, while additionally an element of selfishness by not passing up shots to others. There have been multiple games that there's been a lack of pressure and ability to win the ball in a way that links up play other than generating a shot himself (often 1 goal or 2 from 4-5 shots), inhibiting our ability to play an 18-man game.

It does make you wonder about our team's ability to maximise strenths and minimise weaknesses in a system if they're two players we might have moved on from.

I think our current game style, lack of ability to move the footy fast enough at times and poor forward setup hurts Jamarra too. Put him in Brisbanes fwd line and we probably don’t see those weaknesses as much…
(My opinion).

Ooof, they don’t call this the Silly Season for nothing.

Best to just expect the worst will happen (shit picks/trades) and be pleasantly surprised if something decent happens.

Ooof, they don’t call this the Silly Season for nothing.

Best to just expect the worst will happen (shit picks/trades) and be pleasantly surprised if something decent happens.
I still suffer trade week PTSD from the year Griffen left us. Worked out OK in the end though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back