Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, do you honestly think the club is chasing these guys to play them at Footscray or out of position?

XOH can play wing or half forward.

Peatling mid-hf
So the club is chasing them to fill other roles, but you see them as midfield depth, am I getting that right?

So the club is chasing them to fill other roles, but you see them as midfield depth, am I getting that right?
No you're not, and you're deliberately being obtuse and antagonistic.

Both are midfield/half forward rotations, the same positions that they are playing at GWS. In case you forgot we don't exactly have a young midfield

No you're not, and you're deliberately being obtuse and antagonistic.

Both are midfield/half forward rotations, the same positions that they are playing at GWS. In case you forgot we don't exactly have a young midfield
I'd appreciate it if you left the adjectives out, I'm trying to have a conversation with you. You're welcome to put me on ignore if you wish not to continue the conversation.

You've described them as filling a midfield void in between our older players and younger players. Apologies that I didn't interpret that as having them actually play different roles.

You would think that GWS’ B&F tonight will be very telling.

Peatling doesn’t strike me as the type to attend and then request a trade elsewhere. I’d suggest if he’s going to stay, then there will be an announcement made at the function tonight, and if nothing comes out of it then he’s probably out the door.

Then again, people can surprise you. He could poll well in the second half of the year and then in the next day he could tell them he’s gone 🤷‍♀️

Not going to comment on the integrity of information from sources or buy into the arguments on here but if JUH was traded, the club would need to be ready with a pretty solid explanation for members and fans that only stops at information that just cannot be disclosed. “There was a decision made that it would be best for all parties to explore a trade and a fresh start” may not cut it.

Exactly. Especially when you consider how long our club spent shying away from Indigenous players, or developing an Indigenous player and then having them leave shortly afterwards. It's only since we drafted Jamarra that it's felt like we've started to become a club which can be a serious destination for young Indigenous players, and where they may be able to feel supported and at home. I wasn't happy with Jamarra's efforts in the final either, and his ongoing accuracy issues are frustrating, but to publicly dump him into the too hard basket due to whatever off-field indiscretions he may have had and offer no explanation puts us back ten years.

I'd appreciate it if you left the adjectives out, I'm trying to have a conversation with you. You're welcome to put me on ignore if you wish not to continue the conversation.

You've described them as filling a midfield void in between our older players and younger players. Apologies that I didn't interpret that as having them actually play different roles.
You need multiple midfield rotations.

Right now we rely too much on Bont, Libba, Treloar.

I'm not sure what is so hard to get here.

the players we are chasing rotate between midfield and half forward. It's a position of need.

You can't keep relying on these 3 when 2 of them are one injury away from potential retirement

the players we are chasing rotate between midfield and half forward. It's a position of need.

You can't keep relying on these 3 when 2 of them are one injury away from potential retirement
Richards/Harmes/Sanders/Garcia*

Throw in Freijah and draftees again our depth isn't that bad the issue is when our top enders drop off do we have top enders to replace them,

XOH will never be that Peatling might be a B grader at best

Threw our hat into the ring with a pretty good offer and then other teams upped it to a four year deal on presumably good money.

It's fine, even if it's not great to lose out on players given we're not really a destination club, and Peatling is a bit underrated, but if you force the bidding up elsewhere it indirectly helps you too as those clubs aren't going to outbid you for a different player now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The following players have attended centre bounces in 2024:

Bontempelli
Richards
Liberatore
Treloar
Harmes
Gallagher
Sanders
West
Garcia
Weightman - has spent considerable time in the last two preseasons training midfield.
Daniel
Macrae - the only one we’re fairly certain is leaving.

Now, on the potential for career to be over after an injury nonsense - Liberatore I’ll give you. But Treloar played 23 games in 2024.

There’s no reason to assume that Sanders and Gallagher will not take more CBAs in 2025. Then you add in potential players like Freijah and players we draft. I don’t think the issue is as dire as you’ve made it seem.

Let’s move on though. We are boring people at this point including I suspect each other.

Last edited:
The following players have attended centre bounces in 2024:

Bontempelli
Richards
Liberatore
Treloar
Harmes
Gallagher
Sanders
West
Garcia
Weightman - has spent considerable time in the last two preseasons training midfield.
Daniel
Macrae - the only one we’re fairly certain is leaving.

Now, on the potential for career to be over after an injury nonsense - Liberatore I’ll give you. But Treloar played 23 games in 2024.

There’s no reason to assume that Sanders and Gallagher will not take more CBAs in 2025. Then you add in potential players like Freijah and players we draft. I don’t think the issue is as dire as yob’ve made it seem.

Let’s move on though. We are boring people at this point including I suspect each other.
Richards emergence has helped but the issue I think he's trying to make is when the older guys fall off we had Dunkley/Smith there so the drop off isn't as bad but again I don't see how XOH or Peatling help this

Exactly. Especially when you consider how long our club spent shying away from Indigenous players, or developing an Indigenous player and then having them leave shortly afterwards. It's only since we drafted Jamarra that it's felt like we've started to become a club which can be a serious destination for young Indigenous players, and where they may be able to feel supported and at home. I wasn't happy with Jamarra's efforts in the final either, and his ongoing accuracy issues are frustrating, but to publicly dump him into the too hard basket due to whatever off-field indiscretions he may have had and offer no explanation puts us back ten years.
His attitude and effort across a lot of games this season went in the “too hard basket” for him many many times.

FWIW I don't think we will trade Jamarra and I don't think we should trade Jamarra even if the trade offer is very good.

Ultimately, Jamarra was a good player that helped us win games this year, which is why the Saints want him. And I'm much more confident in fixing his goalkicking issues rather than a different player randomly becoming as good as Jamarra in all non-goalkicking areas.

It's for that reason that we probably vaguely explored the idea in terms of flipping him to a Butters type, and to transfer some of the uncertainty of future output into more solid expected future output of Butters. Swapping that for draft picks does nothing, at least in the next few years as Bont and co remain a good player. We can always retool with draft picks if we have a year with like 7 wins, we miss finals in consecutive years and/or sack Bevo.

Is the club interested in the JUH trade? His off field stuff hasn't been great this year from what I've heard but you can't really blame a young bloke with the world at his feet wanting to have some fun

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back