Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

in all seriousness here, can someone provide a genuine and detailed reason as to why we are never in contention for players, why we aren’t a “destination club” and why we are always overlooked…

I would love for someone to provide an extensive list as to why (opinion based or factual)

I’m curious as to what people think honestly.
Because it’s so disheartening that we here teams want to go to North, Geelong, Carlton and the other vic clubs etc.
Here are a few reasons (are many of them are historical, not necessarily still valid today) and this is not an exhaustive list:

• Our facilities used to be incredibly poor, in all seriousness rats were literally crawling around
  • Footscray cricket club (being a district club) used to have exclusive access to the ground during the offseason meaning the footy team had to training in a local park (not a footy ground). Luckily the cricket club got moved to edgewater
  • We were very much broke between the mid 60s and early 1990s meaning players who thought of coming may not get paid
  • Having no money forced us to let players like Dempsey go. Billy Goggin quit because the club sold a player to Carlton because we had no money
  • And because of all of that, we couldn't win and players won't go to clubs that can't win. Hence why the Hawks find recruiting easier
and all that gets around in the industry and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. And it is very hard to change the perception. Hopefully the current mob have changed that. The fact that Keath, Adz etc have had a good experience will help alleviate it somewhat. Adz first choice wasn't us - it was the aint's.

Bye B**ch.
The long been on the cards, is nothing short of saying Cotton On have been colluding this for years.
Make a stand Sammy, send him to the PSD to prevent Cotton On and Geeling colluding to take any of our players in the future.

What are Geelong going to do, complain to the AFL.... who brought in said rule after the Chris Judd Visy deal at Carltank.

We loose maybe pick 18 after bids matched, but we would send a statement the dogs won't suffer external sponsors manipulating our players to get them to the sponsors destination club.

I know it’s unlikely but if Geelong don’t pony up and offer something decent for Smith, I would be so supportive of the club to stand their ground and send him to the PSD and get nothing for him.

We’ve given Bailey the absolute world and he’s slapped us in the face with how he’s handled himself and the utter disrespect he’s shown our club.

Bloke's walking out giving us the finger and I genuinely don't know what his grievance is. Is he that shitty about not having a leading inside midfield role in a team with Bont, Libba, Treloar, prime Macrae for a good while, and Dunkley for a good while?

To be fair he didn't play at anytime in the season so why would he want to attend.
The club helped him with rehabbing his knee that will allow him to earn an income in future years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he had any shred of dignity he would thank the club that prevented him from being drafted by an interstate club.

Honestly pretty glad to see the back of him, if the deal is **** he can test his luck in the PSD.

We have survived a season without him. We will be fine.

Jack Macrae is the opposite end of the spectrum. Hope we do what’s best for him. He owes us nothing.

He's not wrong. We're not gonna be happy about it, but he's not wrong.

If we were on the other side of the deal there is absolutely no way that anybody here is offering more than that.
15 and F2 is the lowest I could cope with.

F2 a bit more valuable to us than usual with the father sons next year. Then try and bring our F1 into this year.

problem with all the PSD talk is he wont go to the PSD. He'll go to the national draft. Nobody will go near him with a first rounder and geelong will just draft him with the first rounder that they'll offer us anyway

Such as? Accounting for the ACL and the year+ form drop as well?
Cerra (OOC) equivalent pick 4
Tim Taranto (OOC) equivalent pick 3
Hopper (pre-agent) equivalent pick 4
Dunkley (OOC) equivalent pick 5/6
Rankine (OOC) equivalent pick 5

Form is temporary, Bailey’s issues off the field were likely a major factor as to why he had a down year before the knee. Geelong wouldn’t be focused on 2023, they’d be looking to 2021/22 and what he’s capable of when he’s at his best and be backing themselves in to get him to that level again.

In regards to his ACL, sure they’re assuming some risk but we’re not in the 1980’s anymore, reconstruction failure rates aren’t as high as they used to be. By the time he plays his first game it’ll be 15 months since the injury which minimises the risk even further. He’ll get a full preseason and be ready to go well before round one.

Additionally, Bailey isn’t just a footballer, his worth shouldn’t be measured purely by what he can bring on the field. His commercial value in relation to memberships and sponsorships could, arguably, outweigh any discount you want to apply from the ACL risk.

15 and F2 is the lowest I could cope with.

F2 a bit more valuable to us than usual with the father sons next year. Then try and bring our F1 into this year.

Geelong are allowed to trade out assets to get more assets for us.

Pick 15 plus 2 future seconds isn’t too bad.

3 2nd rounders in the 2025 draft gives us ammo to go after another 1st round pick from GC/GWS etc when they need the points.

I know some will be sceptical but I actually think social media activity is a huge indicator of friendship dynamics. These guys are always on Instagram. The lack of Dogs players interacting with Smith over a period of time now would indicate to me that he’s potentially been on the nose at the kennel.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back