Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

It sounds like cats are just trying to soften us up to offer the first and second rounder on the last day .

Offer a crap deal up untill then so they think that offer is really good
It's exactly what's happening. You can already see the deal will be the 2024 1st with a F2 added.

We'll ask for the 2024 1st and 2024 1st and the Cats will offer the 2024 1st by itself. They will then add the 2nd rounder in later and say 'look we compromised and came to a middle ground'.

If Geelong seriously think they can pick him up for just their 1st rounder through the National Draft and they’re prepared to take that risk (and Smith is on board with it) then I don’t blame them for only offering us that same value.

We really need GWS to make it known that they would grab him up with one of their picks right before the Geelong selection. Bailey would hate the idea of going to Western Sydney and playing in front of those tiny crowds and it might force Geelong to pay up.
Could easily see the Saints/Bombers/Giants all take him in the draft Geelongs pick is a glorified 2nd rounder GWS in particular are then swapping Perryman for Baz huge upgrade and worst case he asks for a trade and you get a 1st rounder for him anyway

If Geelong seriously think they can pick him up for just their 1st rounder through the National Draft and they’re prepared to take that risk (and Smith is on board with it) then I don’t blame them for only offering us that same value.

We really need GWS to make it known that they would grab him up with one of their picks right before the Geelong selection. Bailey would hate the idea of going to Western Sydney and playing in front of those tiny crowds and it might force Geelong to pay up.

Trade Macrae to the saints for unders under the proviso, they go public in considering drafting him at pick 8.

If I was Richmond, I'd seriously consider drafting him if he available with the latest pick of their probably 5 1st rounders. They look likely to end up with picks 1, 6, 10, 11 & 18. If they can move that pick 18 ahead of Geelong then it will give them something to think about.

He's young enough that he will help them immediately and for the next 8 years as they hit the draft for the next few. They can sell him the dream of playing in front of big MCG crowds and being their 'star' player in a terrible team for the next little while. Plenty of available salary cap room as well and would be an easy sell to their fans.

Obviously it would never happen but just to give the Cats something to think about with a bit of public news.

Also love Jay Clark’s article saying the Cats may consider a pick upgrade of our 3rd for their 2nd. How generous.
To be honest, if that's where Cats are at with over a week to go, I'd say things are going ok

We'll probably end up at 17+F2 with some inconsequential minor future swaps either way and move on.

Am I the only one who thinks pick 17 is about right for Smith? What has he ever done? A couple of good games in a finals series. Since then no top 10 finishes in the B n F and coming off a knee. Take the 17 and move on.

Compare that to Dunkley. A better-rounded player coming off a B n F win.

If the Dogs keep stuffing around, they will lose out like they did with Dunkley.

On Smith, I think their two firsts with our F2 back to them is the absolute max we could get. So if we get their first with their F2 and a later pick going to them I’d find that tolerable.

If we can stump up some salary to get a better pick from the Saints for Macrae we should do it.

Happy for Daniel to stay unless we get an offer too good to refuse. If we can get an early second for him we should take it. Our depth would take a hit for a year but he’s not a starting 18 player for us any more and this expendable.

I wonder if Geelong will still be talking up sending him through the draft if the Hawks hold on to there first round pick.

There is no rush for us to take deal unless its right for us. Pick 17 will be there right until the end so just sit back and let it play out. The balls in the Cats court.

God I thought the Bailey Smith trade thread was bad enough but the Jack Macrae one on the trade board just gave me a migraine. Saints fans of all people, SAINTS fans coming in smug telling us why "all these" players want to leave the club and we should just cop whatever is offered... Apparently it's because Bevo is an odd ball, despite players loving him and Macrae, Daniel etc re-signing with him as coach their whole career.

Wait until you see their trade board. I didn’t know they had it in them!

I wonder if Geelong will still be talking up sending him through the draft if the Hawks hold on to there first round pick.

There is no rush for us to take deal unless its right for us. Pick 17 will be there right until the end so just sit back and let it play out. The balls in the Cats court.
We said that about Brisbane's first rounder in the Dunkley trade and then they traded it down for their own benefit.

They know they'll get Smith regardless of what they do. There's no onus on them to play fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not true, Brisbane called our bluff and traded their first pick. Geelong will do the same by midway through next week, they won't wait for us.

We have no hand in these trades.

God I thought the Bailey Smith trade thread was bad enough but the Jack Macrae one on the trade board just gave me a migraine. Saints fans of all people, SAINTS fans coming in smug telling us why "all these" players want to leave the club and we should just cop whatever is offered... Apparently it's because Bevo is an odd ball, despite players loving him and Macrae, Daniel etc re-signing with him as coach their whole career.
It's a ridiculous take. He's still worth what he offers their side. He's worth what his contract states. You can't have on one hand players like Battle and Rioli getting their sides early picks due to the contract size, then have Macrae worth peanuts, irrespective of what we do with him. His value only drops if his salary for the remainder of its term significantly harms our cap and ability to things.

It's seems no matter what situation we are in, the media narrative is we are in a weak position. Yet others in similar circumstances are worth 2 firsts.

We are weakened by Smith being out of contract.
We are weakened by Macrae being under a large contract. I hope we ended up having to keep macrae.

I think if a deal isn't done on an uncontracted player, the side should be compensated for the pick he goes for.

Just a quick reminder again that Tim Kelly was OOC when traded to West Coast.

Geelong didn't bend over. West Coast player fair and the deal was done early so don't give me any s*** about us having to take one up the tailpipe simply because he's OOC. This is Geelong. They're campaigners.

Not true, Brisbane called our bluff and traded their first pick. Geelong will do the same by midway through next week, they won't wait for us.

We have no hand in these trades.
I can't see that happening. Different circumstances.

Brisbane had 2 first round father sons to pay for (Ashcroft and Fletcher) and split R1 before making any offer to us.

By all reports, Mackie has already put 17 on the table as part of negotiations. If he split it now, it would be too much of a bad faith move.

If it makes anyone feel better, Pick 17 will be 20 on draft night. Less than what we got for a Jordan McMahon

If we can walk away from this trade season with Bailey Smith not playing for Geelong and his Cotton-On contract being torn up as result it will almost be the perfect off season for the dogs.

Just a quick reminder again that Tim Kelly was OOC when traded to West Coast.

Geelong didn't bend over. West Coast player fair and the deal was done early so don't give me any s*** about us having to take one up the tailpipe simply because he's OOC. This is Geelong. They're campaigners.
Yep was 14 + 24 + 37 + F1 for Kelly +52 + F3,

Baz not quite at Kelly's level there sure so take out the 24 + 37 and take out the 52

17 + F1 for Baz + F3 looks more than fine now doesn't it

It could be argued that Geelong should be paying overs for Smith beyond what is supposed to be fair and reasonable. He brings with him a great deal of marketing potential and hype that could translate into benefits to the club in addition to his on-field performance.
In that sense, he is a type of 'investment package' which should enhance his value.
How all this sits in the hard-nosed realities of trade week is another question.

If I was Richmond, I'd seriously consider drafting him if he available with the latest pick of their probably 5 1st rounders. They look likely to end up with picks 1, 6, 10, 11 & 18. If they can move that pick 18 ahead of Geelong then it will give them something to think about.

He's young enough that he will help them immediately and for the next 8 years as they hit the draft for the next few. They can sell him the dream of playing in front of big MCG crowds and being their 'star' player in a terrible team for the next little while. Plenty of available salary cap room as well and would be an easy sell to their fans.

Obviously it would never happen but just to give the Cats something to think about with a bit of public news.
The fact that Richmond will have 5 1st rounders after realistically one shit year and all their players are bailing on them is a joke. The compo for some of their hacks is laughable. Without Dusty, Jack and Lynch they are nobodies and they proved it this year

Am I the only one who thinks pick 17 is about right for Smith? What has he ever done? A couple of good games in a finals series. Since then no top 10 finishes in the B n F and coming off a knee. Take the 17 and move on.

Compare that to Dunkley. A better-rounded player coming off a B n F win.

If the Dogs keep stuffing around, they will lose out like they did with Dunkley.
I think the thing is, Geelong obviously rate Smith very highly if they have been pursuing him via Cotton On etc for 18 months or more. They are using the knee as an excuse to be petty campaigners trying to get away with underpaying like usual.

The entitlement is beyond anything

They courted him pre knee because he’s such a look at me player who wasn’t prepared to do the hard yards and team things like Ed and be supposedly played out of position because the coach hates him….He was trying to crack a midfield of Bont, Libba, Treloar, Macrae etc. Some of these pricks are so soft in this generation. Your time will come. Do the team things first

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back