Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

North: we're not that interested in buying Caleb, but our of idle curiosity what would you want?
Dogs: we're not that interested in selling him, but for the sake of argument, what are you offering?
Yeah I think it's a case of we'll trade him for a second but there is no fire sale if that what's your hoping

Sam Power is currently like Josey Wales, napping while waiting until his pursuers are halfway across the river on the cable ferry. He will shortly awaken from his slumber and apply the "Missouri boatride"...

I am always talking about future plans with friends and say “but there’s still a lot of water to go under the bridge before that happens”.

The internet only really verifies the @threenewpadlocks version but seeing as the metaphor still makes sense I vote we allow our beautiful language to be flexible.
My guess is though that you use that term when you suggest that likely to future difficulties or contention.

I suppose I use it that way too - not just to refer to past events.

Maybe Mackie's actually using it correctly in that way, but he's essentially suggesting that the negotiations will be difficult, which I suppose is not untrue.

But it's not something you'd expect him to admit - if he wasn't shrouding it in idioms, he would just effectively saying "before he becomes a Cat, trade negotiations will have difficulties", which is strange to me.

Say you're applying for a visa to visit a country and they reject it. You might use the "water to go under the bridge" then, because you might hire a lawyer and appeal or apply in a different manner.

But if you're applying for the visa and would assume that it gets approved, if someone asked you "oh what's happening to your trip to China", you wouldn't say "oh I applied for a visa, and there's lots of water to go under the bridge", because there would be no reason for China to reject your tourist visa if you were just a bog ordinary Australian wanting to see the Terracotta Warriors.

It's not to say that applying for a Visa might not involve a lot of work - as is a Bailey Smith trade - but you wouldn't presuppose that it would be contentious or difficult, which is essentially what Mackie is suggesting at here, by using the phrase.

Of course Mackie didn't mean it that way - he merely meant to say that there's still work to be done - but that circles back to my point that I still think it's a misused metaphor.

I think it's a fair usage of the idiom in modern English. I read it as the deal is not finalised and that there are details (possibly difficult or contentious ones) currently being negotiated (the water upstream) that have yet to be agreed upon.

But I'll defer to expert testimony here. dogwatch
Agree.

The more accustomed meaning of "water under the bridge" is that it has already happened and there's nothing that can be done to change it.

But as Zgope1 said it can also be used - usually with the adverb "still" - to mean that there's a bit yet to play out and we can't say for sure how it will turn out.

Even if that second meaning wasn't already coming into vogue there surely wouldn't be anyone here who had any doubt what Mackie meant by using it the way he did.

I'm also glad he used a metaphor. They enrich the language, at least until they become cliches. And we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

North: we're not that interested in buying Caleb, but our of idle curiosity what would you want?
Dogs: we're not that interested in selling him, but for the sake of argument, what are you offering?
If one redacts the names of the clubs and the players involved.

This is a succinct telling of the events describing the first 8.5 days of the nonsense otherwise know as trade week.

My guess is though that you use that term when you suggest that likely to future difficulties or contention.

I suppose I use it that way too - not just to refer to past events.

Maybe Mackie's actually using it correctly in that way, but he's essentially suggesting that the negotiations will be difficult, which I suppose is not untrue.

But it's not something you'd expect him to admit - if he wasn't shrouding it in idioms, he would just effectively saying "before he becomes a Cat, trade negotiations will have difficulties", which is strange to me.

Say you're applying for a visa to visit a country and they reject it. You might use the "water to go under the bridge" then, because you might hire a lawyer and appeal or apply in a different manner.

But if you're applying for the visa and would assume that it gets approved, if someone asked you "oh what's happening to your trip to China", you wouldn't say "oh I applied for a visa, and there's lots of water to go under the bridge", because there would be no reason for China to reject your tourist visa if you were just a bog ordinary Australian wanting to see the Terracotta Warriors.

It's not to say that applying for a Visa might not involve a lot of work - as is a Bailey Smith trade - but you wouldn't presuppose that it would be contentious or difficult, which is essentially what Mackie is suggesting at here, by using the phrase.

Of course Mackie didn't mean it that way - he merely meant to say that there's still work to be done - but that circles back to my point that I still think it's a misused metaphor.
I think are few of you are overanalysing Mackie and overrating his intellect.

I think are few of you are overanalysing Mackie and overrating his intellect.
I can agree that Mackie misusing an idiom incorrectly does suggest not having that high an intellect!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.

The more accustomed meaning of "water under the bridge" is that it has already happened and there's nothing that can be done to change it.

But as Zgope1 said it can also be used - usually with the adverb "still" - to mean that there's a bit yet to play out and we can't say for sure how it will turn out.

Even if that second meaning wasn't already coming into vogue there surely wouldn't be anyone here who had any doubt what Mackie meant by using it the way he did.

I'm also glad he used a metaphor. They enrich the language, at least until they become cliches. And we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Bridges are historically an excellent place to find trolls.

Sam Power is currently like Josey Wales, napping while waiting until his pursuers are halfway across the river on the cable ferry. He will shortly awaken from his slumber and apply the "Missouri boatride"...

The bounty hunters (list managers) will get this when their shame compels them to come back and try again with Josey, I mean Sam.

Edit, I never understood what Clint saw in Sondra Locke !!

Last edited:

KANGAS HIT DANIEL ROADBLOCK​

NORTH Melbourne has held preliminary discussions with the Western Bulldogs around the potential of a Caleb Danieltrade, though the Kangas believe a move for the contracted defender remains unlikely.

Daniel is reluctant to officially request a trade to Arden Street unless a suitable agreement can be reached between the two clubs, but has interest in getting to North Melbourne by Wednesday night's deadline.

However, the Kangaroos have said their initial chats with Bulldogs officials "didn't get far" and reiterated their belief that Daniel – who is contracted through until 2026 – would be retained at the Whitten Oval.
Speaking to AFL.com.au's Gettable on Friday, North Melbourne list manager Brady Rawlings said the Bulldogs hadn't yet given the Kangas an indication of what they would accept for Daniel in a trade.

"Not sure on that one," Rawlings said of a potential Daniel deal.
"We certainly have interest. (But) he's a contracted player and he's contracted for another couple of years.

"I've had a chat with the Dogs and it doesn't seem like they have much appetite at all to trade him out. We'll keep in touch, but at the end of the day he's contracted for two more years and the Dogs want to keep him." – Riley Beveridge

Love Daniel for not requesting a trade unless it suits us. Makes me want to keep him.

I've only been following the trade period loosely but this seems like one of the most bizarre ones in a while. Richmond knocking back 10 + 18 for Bolton and 6 for Rioli is genuinely laughable. That's two amazing offers. If I was Fremantle and the Suns I'd be just walking away from those deals and not doing them at all just to make a point. Might as well make the trade period one day.

Pies asking for 13 for Noble... Swans 24 for Parker.. what a waste of time. Yet the narrative I've seen is we're the worst people in the world for thinking 20 isn't enough for Smith. The coverage has been very odd.

Surely Geelong just do their first and future second. After compo and bids that's like pick 20 and 45. When players like Battle are getting pick 8 and Ben Mckay pick 3 that's ridiculous unders.

Geelong are just the worst. Mackie is definitely more of a bastard than Wells.

Surely Geelong just do their first and future second. After compo and bids that's like pick 20 and 45. When players like Battle are getting pick 8 and Ben Mckay pick 3 that's ridiculous unders.

Geelong are just the worst. Mackie is definitely more of a bastard than Wells.
Mackie was a prick of a player and he has carried it through and amplified further.

Hopefully teams refuse to deal with him going forward. Their players are worth a bomb even if it is Ratugolea, but opposition players aren't worth anything despite being Chased for nearly 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back