Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

What we don’t see with Smith is whether he will accept other offers. Lots of clubs would want him and then we would get a fair market. That is another option and a lot better than walking to the draft. I wonder what Smiths response was when other clubs spoke to him.

As in my previous spots Sam is in a hard spot that is not his fault.

A bit like Stringer - a vey very good player / got less than his fair value but are we worse off because he left?

I believe Smith is exactly the type of player who would be at the top of our list if we drafted for needs - so seems crazy that we would let him go for less but here is the argument for that.

17 and F2 (likely offer) and the distraction of Smith (very good player but hasn’t played for various reasons for a long time) is immeasurably better than getting nothing or maybe even keeping him.

Sam knows that the offer is way off Smiths value - Geelong knows we have a weak position (created by Smith) is playing us and so is Smith and his management. Dunkley didn’t the same and blocking him did nothing to damage his reputation.

So managers play hardball to get what the player wants, make more money themselves and f$&k the old club that supported him for two years plus not playing while going through injury and other healths problems and really bad self inflicted errors (white powder on camera).

Is that what you see from star players who you want to drive excellence in your team?

His best is better than most of our best 22 but his output is not. Fast car always in the pits.

The simple reality is that he now expects to get paid an amount that puts him on par with better and more valuable/output players in our team - and this is disruptive to the team - better players who produce more should get more - whatever extra he wants we could give to Bont and Red and Darcy etc or to lock in the ones coming through like Buss and Friejah.

We very clearly want to improve our shocking draft hand. I wouldn’t expect any experienced players to come in or if they do it’s chips.

I Imagine we lose Smith, Macrae and Daniel.

Which I’m personally happy with that direction. We need to get some more young talent into the team. Especially quicker players. The game will get away from us if we don’t address this.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which I’m personally happy with that direction. We need to get some more young talent into the team. Especially quicker players. The game will get away from us if we don’t address this.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
And quick - prior to some heavily impacted future drafts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was I imagining things or did I hear some media brainiac suggest trade period should be longer...

FFS that grub Morris and whinger Hannebery were so bored yesterday they were flogging some purple milkshake at a fast food joint. That's how much of a dirge trade period has become. To be fair it's Hutchy so they would be flogging s*** anyway, but still.

Was I imagining things or did I hear some media brainiac suggest trade period should be longer...

FFS that grub Morris and whinger Hannebery were so bored yesterday they were flogging some purple milkshake at a fast food joint. That's how much of a dirge trade period has become. To be fair it's Hutchy so they would be flogging s*** anyway, but still.
If it were significantly longer people wouldn't expect something to happen on each day of the trade period.

The best way to manage frustration is to manage expectation.

So the club obviously thinks we’ll just improve naturally from within?

Or are we just sitting on our hands
Keep in mind that none of the players we’re losing had a material impact on our results in 2024.

It’s not a stretch to say that all of JUH, Darcy, Naughton, English, Weightman, Sanders, Garcia, West, Freijah, Busslinger, JOD, Gallagher could improve us to the next level. There’s a lot of growth left in those footballers.

Our biggest risk in 2025 is genuine decline in Jones, Libba, Treloar & Duryea who all had good seasons. We were reasonably healthy as well so that’s always that risk as well.

We are now at the weekend were not trades can be signed off in this overrated time in the AFL. This thread has not failed to deliver in pointless arguments and pontifications as this period always brings.

And there is always the posts where we are apparently poor or look at mediocrity as a crutch or something, though results since this became a genuine AFL suggest a very different position.

Firstly, there are 5 ways or mechanisms teams can improve year on year.

The first is internal improvement in player development, roles and game styles. We went some way this year with a way to go in this facet alone, even Stevie Wonder could see this.

From our final JUH, Darcy, Naughton, English, Weightman, Freijah, JOD and Gallagher all have significant development in them.

Missing from the final Sanders, Garcia, West, Busslinger, and arguably Jones all have significant improvement and a combination cover off our weaknesses and also a couple of players dropping off.

We have Free Agency which requires alot of cap space so they really need to be A graders. We were not involved this season due to the quality of free agents plus we do need to resign Bont, Richards and Darcy before next season.

We are in the Trade period now. This period really plays little in overall improvement in the next season, see Brisbane last year, but it is trading in and out players AND draft picks setting up for the next 2 seasons. There is no damage on who is actually being traded out so we cannot lose this facet.

Then there are the 2 Drafts where we draft for now and for the future for not only needs next season but for the 5 years to come.

And finally the desisted free agents amd Cat B rookies. Only once all of these have been completed, we have had pre season and are half way through 2025 can we judge whether we have been successful, so melts now, let's just say pointless is not a strong enough word.

Finally have we been successful over a sustained period in doing this. Well from 1997, 27 seasons since the last genuine football club entered the competition we have played in 2 GF's, including a flag 5 PF's, and 7 other finals series.

We are in a competition with 16 now 18 other clubs are striving for results. How does this compare with big 4 clubs Essendon and Carlton. Big interstate clubs Fremantle, Adelaide and Port Adelaide. Our supposed peers St.Kilda, North and Melbourne.

We may not be a big club but we do actually bat above our weight and any supporters under 35, you have no understanding of following a genuinely poor club.

Enjoy the next 5 days of entertainment

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s called the Grimace shake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back