Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wednesday morning, Geelong trades out their pick 17 for a future and say “well we made you our fairest offer and if you’re going to decline it then we have no choice but to move on with our trade period”.
They can’t do that because then there goes the ND threat

I like the notion that karma will get Geelong in the end but does it ever really happen like that?

Trade week/month is a brutal business and every year is different. All clubs start trade negotiations with a clean sheet as each post season rolls around. You try anything on and you get away with whatever you can. And then it starts all over again from scratch the next year.

The reality seems to be that when a star player nominates a club you are forced to deal with that club. You can't just pick and choose or say "well, we're never dealing with Geelong again after the shit they gave us this year".

Can anyone nominate a case where karma has genuinely caught up with a club or list manager in subsequent years? (And please don't say Dodo ... he was just an ineffectual comedy act year after year. Talked tough but got almost nothing of substance for his club.)

I like the notion that karma will get Geelong in the end but does it ever really happen like that?

Trade week/month is a brutal business and every year is different. All clubs start trade negotiations with a clean sheet as each post season rolls around. You try anything on and you get away with whatever you can. And then it starts all over again from scratch the next year.

The reality seems to be that when a star player nominates a club you are forced to deal with that club. You can't just pick and choose or say "well, we're never dealing with Geelong again after the shit they gave us this year".

Can anyone nominate a case where karma has genuinely caught up with a club or list manager in subsequent years? (And please don't say Dodo ... he was just an ineffectual comedy act year after year. Talked tough but got almost nothing of substance for his club.)
Jake Stringer

Wednesday morning, Geelong trades out their pick 17 for a future and say “well we made you our fairest offer and if you’re going to decline it then we have no choice but to move on with our trade period”.
Then screw Sniff he can sweat on the Draft. He probably gets there but if Tigers have a heap of 1st riders they just might back themselves in

The Geelong PR machine is nauseating.
We're the bad guys apparently.

Exactly. These f******** need to remember or be told that Smith started this. He wanted out, he instigated this (no doubt encouraged by his pimp...sorry manager, and Geelong). They did the sweet talking so it's up to them to produce a happy ending for him.

It's all good and well to squeeze every marginal gain when you're a top team.

At some point Geelong are going to have a few seasons in a row as a bottom team and the only way that they're going to get their way back to the top is through building upon and chasing out good relationships with other clubs.

For instance, we let the likes of Koby Stevens go cheaply to Saints. It makes the Bruce trade smooth a few years later. We then are happy to tell them how much we're offering Cordy so they can offer identical money with one extra year guaranteed. Our relationship with the Saints helps both teams when needed against the rest of the league. We got Koby Stevens in the first place because we didn't fight for when Josh Hill went back there. etc. etc.

Don’t care how good Watson is, I’m happy he’s not at the dogs. Don’t think I’ve seen such a shocking attitude. Bring a ****wit then lipping off to fans on instagram is such poor behaviour.
He’s a midget who is very close to his ceiling as a footballer. Even against us in the final, all his goals were tap ins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least the Hawks small forwards never went missing on the night. Say no more Cody Weightmen

Very unpopular opinion alert: If I had to choose between a flog who played a good game of football and a decent person who played a bad game, I'm choosing the decent person to represent my club every time.

It's all good and well to squeeze every marginal gain when you're a top team.

At some point Geelong are going to have a few seasons in a row as a bottom team and the only way that they're going to get their way back to the top is through building upon and chasing out good relationships with other clubs.

For instance, we let the likes of Koby Stevens go cheaply to Saints. It makes the Bruce trade smooth a few years later. We then are happy to tell them how much we're offering Cordy so they can offer identical money with one extra year guaranteed. Our relationship with the Saints helps both teams when needed against the rest of the league. We got Koby Stevens in the first place because we didn't fight for when Josh Hill went back there. etc. etc.
The only times I can remember being ripped off is Brisbane for Dunkley, because they were wedged with their two top father sons, and Hawthorn for Lake, if really annoyed me recently when Jordan Lewis made mention of that being their best trade “and we got him cheap” right in front of Johno. It would have helped if we got a good player but we got Hrovat.

Hurley was coming to us, and Essendon changed their offer in the 11th hot and he ended up staying, big mistake for him, but we didn’t budge on Crameri, even though they ranted and raved, but the Essendon drug saga cost Crameri in the end ☹️

Reg Smith I think a deal gets done that we and Cats are not thrilled with but it gets done maybe PIck 17 and exchange of picks next year.

The only way we could have exerted more pressure on Cats was to target a Cats player who is out of contract next year and got him to commit to us this year.

As for Smith he is just a brat

Will end up being 17 plus a future 3rd in the final hour. Definitely unders but the player movement system is fundamentally broken and those in charge couldn’t care less. Starting to make it difficult for me to maintain too much interest in the sport outside of Dogs games tbh

Regardless of the outcome, hopefully someone from the club who is quoted publicly after the trade goes through alludes to, even subtly, the suspected involvement of a sponsor company in the player movement, as well as a dig at Smith's use of club funds this year to fund his 'lifestyle'. Plus attending a Cats game sitting with players and sponsors while still under contract.

Will this add to Smith's emotional and mental 'anguish'? I certainly hope so. Tosser.

Will end up being 17 plus a future 3rd in the final hour. Definitely unders but the player movement system is fundamentally broken and those in charge couldn’t care less. Starting to make it difficult for me to maintain too much interest in the sport outside of Dogs games tbh

As you see by the likes of Daniel and him wanting us to be fairly compensated or he's not moving, not every player is a total campaigner.

Smith is a campaigner. A total, utter, self obsessed, narcissistic, 'look at me' campaigner. He's all about himself and Geelong will realise that very quickly. He gives zero f**** about anything else apart from his 'brand'.

The way he's conducted himself through this whole thing has been revealing and shown his true character.

I hope our club lays it all on the table about him when he's gone. No secrets kept. We owe him nothing.

Anyway...

I look forward him repeatedly zipping out the middle and scrubbing a piddly kick 20 metres up the line and turning it over.

As for next moves, I hope Sammy and the team start white anting Geelong players. Right under their noses - all year.

Smith is too self centred more worried about his own performance rather than the teams. He will never have a team first attitude because he is more focused on building his BRAND
To build for sustainable success possibly better off without him

Very unpopular opinion alert: If I had to choose between a flog who played a good game of football and a decent person who played a bad game, I'm choosing the decent person to represent my club every time.
Yeah maybe a bit harsh on Cody (maybe the almond milk and double strength coffee too strong this morning :) ) I love the kid just wish he would step and be counted when it matters

The system needs to move towards an American sport mindset. The salary cap and wages are increasing and at the end of the day this is a business. As soon as that happens fair compensation will happen also for losing players

Smith's management has been approached about having a Biography or ghost written Autobiography written about him with good money tabled.
Another side deal? Where he can put it all down paper how he’s a loner who never fitted in at the Dogs and when he tried to grow wings and fly, Bevo cut them off and he outgrew the club…..shit I’ve just written it….wheres my cheque?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back