Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

It is kind of funny that with the trade being so bad - dragging out into the 20's - if the Dogs don't accept a trade, are we really missing out on that much?

Ok so we draft another Kieran Collins (1 game).

Geelong are screwing themselves by offering so little, that by virtue of the fact that it's so little, that we're more willing to use it to push for more.

At least in the Brisbane and Dunkley trade, their F1 was always part of discussions, which was a pick that always had some value (notwithstanding the fact that they made the grand final the following year and it wasn't that great of a pick, but it had some value for the chance that Brisbane would unlikely but possibly do badly).

Why have we got such a bad draft hand? Oh hang on, ineptitude at the trade table last year
Not this again

We can debate whether or trades last year were good or bad but I don't think anyone should really be calling them so bad to be inept.

Sanders and Croft exist, they're on our list, and they developed well enough in their first year that if they were in this year's draft pool they would go for the exact same picks (if not higher). We have to be happy with that as a club accepting that it means our draft hand is not as good this year.

Not this again

We can debate whether or trades last year were good or bad but I don't think anyone should really be calling them so bad to be inept.

Sanders and Croft exist, they're on our list, and they developed well enough in their first year that if they were in this year's draft pool they would go for the exact same picks (if not higher). We have to be happy with that as a club accepting that it means our draft hand is not as good this year.
Sorry disagree, 5hit the bed last year and it’s bit us on the a4se now

If its going to be pushed out to around pick 21 then they need a second pick in that range or to trade up to early teens.

Get Richmond’s pick from the Brisbane pick swap (currently 20) or Richmond’s second rounder next year (likely around 20). Geelong can work out how they do it.

Two picks in the early 20s is likely to net us one good player and possibly two. Can deal with that.

Pick 21 on its own is probably a coin toss, even if it is a stacked draft (check out who went in the 20s in the 2001 superdraft for example).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is Sanders not worth two picks in the teens?
Not to mention, looking at that draft. Only Wilson, taken after our original pick, looks like a top grade player. Draft looks to have dropped off a bit after the top 10. On early reviews, last years draft was rather poor.

We could have ended up with Tholstrup and Hardiman, who were taken with our picks. And Travaglia/Lindsay if we go by current rankings, to be available around our old pick 13.

We instead got Sanders and Croft, both look like they will be solid prospect. Compared to the above. Sanders probably saved us ending up with a much lower grade player, ones that likely won't live up to their pick value.

I don't see any scenario which would negatively affect Geelong if the trade goes through, there was a very similar situation two years ago with Henry going to Geelong.

Geelong now have a responsibility to get the trade done too. They have a relationship not only with the dogs as another club, but now with Bailey. If it doesn’t get done, there’s negatives for both clubs.

Soldo to Stk has fallen through.

Would we have a look? I’d probably prefer Crossley as a depth ruck option who wouldn’t need to be traded in.

Think every team needs a “bash and crash” ruck option.
Before or after he loses 15kgs haha

We don’t need salary cap space in 2025. If we were desperate to shed salary for the extensions of Bont, Darcy & Richards, I’m sure we could move Macrae & Daniel for later picks next year.

If Saints & North don’t want to pay us a fair price (or overs), I don’t see why we need to move them on.

BAILEY SMITH​

There have been talks between Geelong and the Western Bulldogs on how this deal gets done but there is still a gap between the parties with three days to run in the trade period. The Cats have tabled their first-round pick this year – No.17 – but the Bulldogs are keen for more to add to it or the pick to be shifted up the board. If an impasse can't be broken, given Smith's out of contract status, he could have to wait until the national or pre-season draft to get to the Cats. That is still seen as a long-shot, though, with all parties preferring to get a deal done.

CALEB DANIEL​

North Melbourne still wants Daniel and Daniel has interest in getting to Arden Street but nothing will happen unless the Bulldogs open the door for him to depart. With two years to go on his contract, Daniel hasn't publicly requested a trade like teammates Bailey Smith and Jack Macrae. This could still be one that unfolds late if the Kangaroos put forward a pick that works for the Bulldogs. There have been discussions between the Bulldogs and Kangaroos but the Dogs have stayed firm that they want to retain Daniel. After its No.2 pick, North holds picks 25, 44 and 62 in this year's draft as well as their full hand for 2025.

JACK MACRAE​

Talks have commenced between St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs on what a deal would look like for Macrae, who has three years to run on his deal at the Dogs but is keen to join the Saints. The Saints have taken a draft focus to this year's period, particularly after landing pick No.8 as compensation for losing free agent Josh Battle, while the Dogs have been insistent they won't be letting the 30-year-old premiership midfielder leave for a later pick. This one is headed for another deadline day call.

XAVIER O'HALLORAN​

The Western Bulldogs put forward a trade proposal for O'Halloran earlier this week, but the club hasn't had any luck in changing Greater Western Sydney's mind that he's not for sale. The Giants have been determined to retain O'Halloran, who is contracted, given the amount of players already departing the club this off-season. O'Halloran is keen to get to the Dogs, where he has the lure of a longer-term contract, but a move looks unlikely as things stand. The Dogs have picks No.35 and 48 to play with at the moment, but could get more in if trades for Jack Macrae (St Kilda), Bailey Smith (Geelong) and Caleb Daniel (North Melbourne) are completed.

I'd much rather two first rounders in this year's draft than Sanders, which is could have easily happened instead. I don't see how anyone would see that as the better option in hindsight.
One of them was a not very good pick last year, and while I accept there's always a chance, the risk of our own 1st being so bad that it would fall to be a top 6 pick or whatever was pretty remote as long as Bony remained fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back