Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd run with it if Roos offer 25 for Daniel.

I'd tell Macrae to be open to other clubs. A few will be willing to pay up more. Saints are tight because their draft hand isn't that flash outside of the two first round picks.

I kind of find it funny when people try use that for their argument
The CSM strongly favours players who play nearly every game (eg Dunkley 2 years ago).

Macrae only played 19 out of a possible 24 and was the sub in a few of those. So of course he wasn’t going to poll well in the B&F. But don’t let that stand in the way of “he ain’t any good so the Dogs have to let him go for peanuts”.

If he plays nearly every game for the Saints in 2025 he will easily finish top 10 in their B&F.

Macrae is professional enough that he’ll be fine and fight for a spot. If we need to move his salary in 2025 then I’m sure a club will take him for a token pick if we needed to shed it.

Wasn't it reported by one of the ITK that Macrae was happy to stay and fight for a spot if a suitable deal couldn't be met? I could be misremembering but I thought someone made a comment to that effect.

How can this possibly be true? What will the book be about? “ my brilliant but ultimately unsuccessful 4 game 2012 finals campaign”. What has he achieved yet? I am not saying he won’t achieve anything in the future but for a book now what would grab the minds of the public enough that they would pay for the story. Is it an album of photos of Smith with his shirt off? Staggering.

This how.

baz.jpg

Discount bins in bookshops all across the nation are full of football autobiographies that publishers thought they could turn an easy buck on. Typically we see this just after a player exits the game and is looking for one last cash grab as he transition back into the real world of having a proper job. But we now live in an age of idiocy and influencers with enormous reach and people only too willing to buy whatever shit (as seen in the above bio) they are willing to attach their name.

As an aside. I like that he has a picture of his pet tapeworm as an insta profile pic and when you click on it he's giving it a pat whist taking a selfie in the mirror. Now I know how he got those wonderful abs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where people are getting this idea that a nothing pick for the entirety of Macrae's salary is not paying enough or something.

Firstly we should consider that Macrae himself has requested the trade. I think out of respect for Macrae himself we should look at giving him what he wants.

The rub is that there's three years guaranteed. Macrae's 30, declined as a player, not going to get any quicker. I think his immediate future in a one to two year span is fine, but that third year of $500k+ or more is ugly.

If Macrae was a free agent, would any club in the league at all be giving him a third year guaranteed at even a minimum contract amount, let alone at an above-average salary? I doubt it. That delta between what he's worth "in the market" and what he's guaranteed to be paid is ultimately a negative value. Which cancels out with the positive value of the fact that at least in the short term Saints will have a starting midfielder rather than having Windhager only have the capability to win 15 touches a game despite tracking the ball or whatever. It can be both true that for year 1 he's a valuable player, for year 3 of the contract he's a salary dump, so the two cancel each other in my eyes.

And the fact that we don't have "cap pressure" is not at all important. Sure, we can use it at a way of squeezing a better pick out of the Saints - if the trade falls through, we're not going to be breaching AFL rules, so it's not a Treloar situation. But cap room is still valuable. We don't know if we will be in a cap squeeze in two off-season's time, when Macrae will still have a year's worth of guaranteed money. We can front load contracts. A lot can happen last minute (such as a Treloar equivalent). Barrass and Houston deals are yet to be done and we're not completely ruled out of the recruiting of both players if we somehow find the money to pay them. etc. etc.

Macrae could prove me wrong and have a better year next year than he did this year and he plays well that leads us to a flag. But it's equally likely that he plays even more in the VFL next year, and we're ruing the fact that he's still contracted for 2026 and 2027 and we're anticipating he's barely going to get an AFL game in those years if he's only played 10 AFL games and 10 VFL games in 2025 or whatever and instead of getting a 3rd round pick it would actually cost us a 3rd round pick to get off his $1 million + guaranteed for 2026 and 2027, to chase whatever free agent we want in the 2026-7 offseason (what if Rayner has an All-Australia year or whatever but is leaving Brisbane? He could command $1.5 million or whatever). We have to balance out the similar likelihood of each scenario.

Tbh I can't really make a fair judgement because it's not actually quite clear how much "guaranteed" money Macrae is on for the next 3 years and I think some of it is trigger/performance based. If Saints (or us) are paying him $2 million over 3 years as opposed to $1.8 million or whatever, that is a material difference that matters whether we should or shouldn't trade him.

Pardon the intrusion. Just trying to figure out what the Daniel trade might look like.
Looking at your current draft hand, could you guys see pick 25 for Daniel + 48 being around the mark?

I guess that would effectively be Daniel and Parker for a second rounder for us.

At this point I’d almost rather retain Macrae and then offload Daniel for 25. A future third or fourth in a crap draft does nothing for us unless we need points next year (don’t think we do).

Pardon the intrusion. Just trying to figure out what the Daniel trade might look like.
Looking at your current draft hand, could you guys see pick 25 for Daniel + 48 being around the mark?

I guess that would effectively be Daniel and Parker for a second rounder for us.
I'd jump at that deal.

On the Macrae stuff if we move on Daniel then there's no salary cap pressure and even if he plays VFL all year his trade value isn't going to be lower than the future 3rd/4th picks we are already getting offered. Keep him as valuable depth

Yep that's what I suggested on the previous page. 48 will come in a bit too after the bids, I guess if you're moving it on it won't matter too much but may be more appealing to Sydney. I think it's solid

Would be somewhere around the mark of what a deal might look like

I imagine the haggling comes in around which pick goes back the Roos way. If Sydney would take 48 for Parker I think it gets done otherwise can see North pushing for 35.

This how.

View attachment 2140121

Discount bins in bookshops all across the nation are full of football autobiographies that publishers thought they could turn an easy buck on. Typically we see this just after a player exits the game and is looking for one last cash grab as he transition back into the real world of having a proper job. But we now live in an age of idiocy and influencers with enormous reach and people only too willing to buy whatever shit (as seen in the above bio) they are willing to attach their name.

As an aside. I like that he has a picture of his pet tapeworm as an insta profile pic and when you click on it he's giving it a pat whist taking a selfie in the mirror. Now I know how he got those wonderful abs.
received_544159418299502~2.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back