trade bait?

Remove this Banner Ad

kira

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
as jake niall poignantly said it, youth shall be the cursor to keep the sydney faithful. whilst we are fading out of finals contentiion, we look at kids like adam vespremi for inspiration

so to get more kids like adam, we should probably look at the trade to acquire the best picks going around. so here are the most vulnerable (in my opinions)
- davis
- lrt
- buchanen
- ablett
- fosdike
- rok (for trade value only)?

thoughts?

as jake niall poignantly said it, youth shall be the cursor to keep the sydney faithful. whilst we are fading out of finals contentiion, we look at kids like adam vespremi for inspiration

so to get more kids like adam, we should probably look at the trade to acquire the best picks going around. so here are the most vulnerable (in my opinions)
- davis - Should get some interest but I don't think we could possibly expect any more than a 2nd rounder, more likely a 3rd.
- lrt - If opposition teams value him as lowly as some of our own supporters do then no one would give us anything for him. Well worth hanging onto IMO.
- buchanen - Definately worth throwing his name out there to see what we can get but again we wouldn't be looking at much.
- ablett - A few weeks ago I would have been all for offloading him but upon hearing that he has been carrying an injury and unable to train his value has probably deflated so much that there would be more upside to keeping him than there would be in trading him. Once again though... Worth throwing the name out there to see what we could get.
- fosdike - Unlikely we'd get anything decent if anything at all for Fossy, Keep him on the list IMO
- matthews - No one will be interested. Retire/Delist
- brennen - No one will be interested but worth hanging onto for one more season - If he learned to kick he could be a real excitement machine
- grundy - Starting to show some good signs but not enough to interest other teams. Hang onto him
- rok (for trade value only)? I'll get blasted but it's worth putting his name out there. He's the only swan that would get us anything worthwhile.

thoughts?

See above

adam vespremi

thoughts?

I don't mean any disrespect but it is Patrick not Adam.;)

I agree with ^MalcekiFan! except I hope Swans don't trade ROK.

The only reason I can see to trade at all would be to get an extra top 12 first rounder plus. Or pick up a mature player for Swans lower round picks eg likethe Mattner trade last year.

There is likely to be several possible (enough) retirements /delists already. Also so many teams are doing the same mass retirements in preparation for GC17 future scarcity of young talent picks. Then trading is likely to be difficult this year unless real quality is offered.

Also it is very hard to incorporate manage more than say 4-6 brand new blokes into a club especially when most would be relocating interstate to NSW.

Most picks outside the top dozen or so picks can't play firsts in their first year most not even 2nd. Even Goodes took several years... it takes freaks like O'Loughlin to play quality at 19 yrs.

Pat was always touted as a rare "nearly AFL ready" potential.... probably why he was the 07 first round pick instead of a KP.

I don't mean any disrespect but it is Patrick not Adam.;)

I agree with ^MalcekiFan! except I hope Swans don't trade ROK.

The only reason I can see to trade at all would be to get an extra top 12 first rounder plus. Or pick up a mature player for Swans lower round picks eg likethe Mattner trade last year.

There is likely to be several possible (enough) retirements /delists already. Also so many teams are doing the same mass retirements in preparation for GC17 future scarcity of young talent picks. Then trading is likely to be difficult this year unless real quality is offered.

Also it is very hard to incorporate manage more than say 4-6 brand new blokes into a club especially when most would be relocating interstate to NSW.

Most picks outside the top dozen or so picks can't play firsts in their first year most not even 2nd. Even Goodes took several years... it takes freaks like O'Loughlin to play quality at 19 yrs.

Pat was always touted as a rare "nearly AFL ready" potential.... probably why he was the 07 first round pick instead of a KP.

the names were just food for thought... though i'll really consider fosdike and rok

the whole adam thing, is just a small laugh to myself and anyone who noticed in jake niall's article that he called him adam (from that other thread.. to counter trevor grant)

the names were just food for thought... though i'll really consider fosdike and rok

the whole adam thing, is just a small laugh to myself and anyone who noticed in jake niall's article that he called him adam (from that other thread.. to counter trevor grant)

Haha sorry.:eek: Joke is on me. It is just one of my bug bear hobby horses I hate seeing a newspaper print the wrong picture or stuff up something that easy to check!

But I respect Jake Nail.. haha... and I think it might have been a play on words that Pat... might be Swans next Adam Goodie!!!

ROK... been discussed here elsewhere a lot.. all a matter of where his head is at.

Fossy IMO (if ever) should have been offered after 05 when was near BOG in GF.. now likely too late to get what he is worth!

- davis
- lrt
- buchanen
- ablett
- fosdike
- matthews
- brennen
- grundy
- rok (for trade value only)?

thoughts?

People need to understand that individually, apart from O'Keefe, the players named above are not really going to attact too much interest from anyone because they don't rate them.
These guys as a group have had every bit of ability squeezed out of them by Roos. Should they stay with us they will achieve a little more & be appreciated for it. Elsewhere they are not rated for being anything other then disciplined. Unless they finish their careers with us, they won't get a gig anywhere else. Unless it's with the Saints where we have some links.
The Saints supporters were giving Schneider the stick only a few weeks ago because he came from the Swans. He will be unfaily judged for the rest of his career there should he have a bad game or two.

If these players are said to be on the decline with us, then it is only fair that they won't be worth anything anywhere else.

I'm not too sure what my fellow Swans supporters are expecting in return for this group.

If we lost O'keefe, then we are in serious trouble!

Davis, LRT, Buchanan, Ablett, Fosdike & Grundy aren't going anywhere either. Roos has no choice but to keep them on our list because they are the next bracket of players from 28yr down. We got big, big, problems if we get rid of these guys.

People need to realise that the guys are injured & not getting the best out of themselves. Last year Hall was critcised for the year he had but after the season was over we found out about the ops he has on his groin. Goodes is the same this year but yet he still is harshly judged by his critics when he gets run down & tackled in the backline.

All I can say is that the only thing that has changed with the Swans since we had the best defence, 8 weeks ago, & since we have had the worst defence, is that we all of a sudden come into these injuries. That is a fact!

End of story.

Hi guys, from a Dogs perspective, I would be interested in Roberts-Thompson and Ryan O'Keefe. What would you want from the Dogs in return?

Hi guys, from a Dogs perspective, I would be interested in Roberts-Thompson and Ryan O'Keefe. What would you want from the Dogs in return?

For O'keefe either a top 5 draft pick and maybe a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder or a first rounder and a decent kid.

LRT is difficult. I get the feeling that most supporters on here would be happy with a pick in the late 80s or 90s however I wouldn't want to let him go at all and as such would probably just list a trade that you guys wouldn't be willing to accept ( A late first rounder or Andres Everitt for example).

If we lost O'keefe, then we are in serious trouble!

If we somehow lost him for nothing in return then yes we would be in trouble but I don't see how people can dismiss certain players being traded as an automatic loss for us without knowing what we could get in return. We could end up getting 2 or 3 promising youngsters that all end up playing 200+ games. I'm not necessarily saying the club should be dangling O'Keefe in front of other clubs come trade time but if there are some serious offers coming in for him then it would be silly not to consider them.

i sense this is the right time to lose o'keefe.

he is going to be 28 next year and i sense a team like carlton could use him as a forward target along with fevola. they could give up their 1st and high 2nd rounder for o'keefe. i think this will happen because they have enough youngsters already and need some experience for their tilt next year.

then we will have picks 7 or 8, pick 9 or 10 and picks 22 and 28.

using those we can have a realistic chance to get ziebell who is going to be an absolute gun. we could also further upgrade our 3rd rounder to a 2nd rounder using someone like davis and/or fosdike and matthews.

it might be a blessing in diguise that barry hall and o'loughlin will leave as this will open up tons of money for us along with o'keefe.

we already have good small forwards in mcveigh, buchannan and moore. i sense we need a 1 KP forward (1st rounder), 1 KP Back, a ziebell (mid-sized forward) and a versatile on-baller like prismall to support either goodes/vesz, with jack doing tagging and bird doing clearences with jude and kirk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think some of the players you mentioned are under threat of being delisted and very few will attract much by way of trade. It has to be a "trade", not an opportunity to simply get rid of mid-level players you don't want any more. So we'll have to give up something of value to get anything meaningful. Unfortunately most of the "name players' listed (eg Davis, Buchanan, Ablett, Fosdike) will be worth a whole lot less now than they were at the end of last season. Davis will certainly still have some value tho'.

Schmidt might want to leave. I hope he bloody doesn't, Roos has managed him so poorly, but if he does want to go I reckon we could get something good for him.

i think the guy has a serious injury

but you're definitely right, should of seen more game time than he has, prior to the injury

he's one of the clubs better prospects... not managed well at all :(

but he's still young, doubt he would seek a trade just yet

may just be an assumption, but most players seem to be pretty loyal from the get-go

i doubt many players out there are prepared to do a juddy ;)

Scott Stevens was recruited from South Fremantle (wasn't he?) and so never actually went home. And I think with both players (Fitzy and Stevens), the trade decisions were mutual ones between Club and player - so I don't think you could say either were not loyal.

Grant, Cook, Rocca & Heuskes are those I can remember where going home, ala Juddy, was the issue. But that was all 10 years ago or more. I think you were right initially cowfever, our record is not bad at all for a non-Melbourne club. Players do seem to want to stay with us.

(Correct me if I am wrong of course)

O'keefe's too good to lose to be honest, he's a real turning point in a game, much like Kenelly and Kirk can be.

Sorry ST dont agree with that, if he was a match winner, game turner, then i would feel the same as you, though as good as he is, he doesnt fit that category.
As have been said before doesnt kick enough goals, gets caught up in general play down field to often, (which means we break down looking for a good target up on the wing), very predicable by foot. He is a very good footballer and would be hard finding another as good. Though like MF said if it was the difference between a couple of early picks/young good kids, then by all means its worth considering it.
What a real pity is, is Barlow not laying much this year, he could have gained alot from this year and perhaps could have played a similar role to ROK, which take alot of pressure off our general/future structure, which ROK is a big part of.

What a real pity is, is Barlow not laying much this year, he could have gained alot from this year and perhaps could have played a similar role to ROK, which take alot of pressure off our general/future structure, which ROK is a big part of.

In fairness to Barlow, he has been struggling with injury. Who knows how his year would have gone if he hadn't had those hamstring complaints? Maybe about the same, maybe 100x better.

In fairness to Barlow, he has been struggling with injury. Who knows how his year would have gone if he hadn't had those hamstring complaints? Maybe about the same, maybe 100x better.

I'm still confident he'll be a gun player for us. Maybe not Adam Goodes standard but a very, very good player none the less. 2009 will be the year he grabs the competition by the balls.

Remove this Banner Ad

trade bait?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back