List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2017/2018 - Refreshed (cont in part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To unnecessarily promote him from the rookie list so early into the preseason was very surprising.... then with the lack of KPD depth we have... to play him as a forward and delist him because - surprise, surprise - he stinks up front and the club needs list space, is just inane. Could've sat on the rookie list all year and still be there into 2018 as injury cover.

But yes, he once made a mistake.
Our backline held up well and would have been worse with Keeffe in it. He was tried as a forward because we lack depth in that area. He got his chance and didn’t deliver. No player in the history of footy has had more support.

*sniff sniff* yes he did *snort snort*

Of course that just ignores the suggestions that he was to be trialled as a forward/ruck in 2015 before he was suspended, but if it makes you feel better,, you go with your theory.

Keefe was a dud before he was suspended.

Keefe then didn't play for two years.

Keefe is now a bigger dud than he was before.

Good luck to Keefe for getting another job, but Gold Coast are wasting their time and money.
That’s true, but the question is are GWS?

Of course that just ignores the suggestions that he was to be trialled as a forward/ruck in 2015 before he was suspended, but if it makes you feel better,, you go with your theory.
I am ignoring it, as did the coaching staff by not playing him, but if it makes you feel better to think he was becoming a great Forward/Ruckman, you go with your theory

Last edited:
Keefe was a dud before he was suspended.

Keefe then didn't play for two years.

Keefe is now a bigger dud than he was before.

Good luck to Keefe for getting another job, but GWS are wasting their time and money.
wasn't a dud before the suspension. Had some v good games down back for us, and at least one of the coaching dept said he had 'all the tools to make it'. Then he had a dip in form, then got suspended, then he comes back and is expected to play forward... for reasons I do not know. I'm sure the club knows best, but why he wasn't developed down back is strange. Maybe Schade was seen as a better prospect, which didn't work out. Or maybe McLarty was seen as filling this Tall defender slot, though we still seem to be chasing key backs, and 200cm forwards like Daniher & Hipwood are set to dominate the competition

wasn't a dud before the suspension. Had some v good games down back for us, and at least one of the coaching dept said he had 'all the tools to make it'. Then he had a dip in form, then got suspended, then he comes back and is expected to play forward... for reasons I do not know. I'm sure the club knows best, but why he wasn't developed down back is strange. Maybe Schade was seen as a better prospect, which didn't work out. Or maybe McLarty was seen as filling this Tall defender slot, though we still seem to be chasing key backs, and 200cm forwards like Daniher & Hipwood are set to dominate the competition
Keeffe’s last “decent” game was in 2014.

Perhaps I'm being overly harsh, but I never rated him even then.

He was poor one on one, had terrible positional sense (about the worst I've ever seen for a key defender), he was slow and his kicking, although accurate, had little penetration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally was never a huge fan of Keeffe....but I reckon the only way he was ever going to make it was as a backman. So we didn't help his cause at all by playing him forward after 2 years out of the game.

Internally he must have been rated pretty high. He was promoted to the leadership group in his earlier years, and there was a period there he had cemented his defensive position.

I was surprised we were so quick to promote him this year, especially since he was been trialled in a new position and seemingly was not in consideration for a backline spot. I probably just would've left him as a rookie and held onto him 1 more year but sent him back to defence.

I think he can do alright at GWS. At worst he'll be decent cover for them considering they lack depth down back.

BUt I won't lose too much sleep that he is no longer at Collingwood. McLarty is the one I want to be pumping games into.

Major difference between Broomhead and Maynard has been continuity. We've had lots of kids get games before they'd earned them. Even Moore who got his debut of a 3 disposal VFL game. Admittedly he kicked 3 goals and took a couple of ripper grabs, but it was still only a 3 possession game. Much of that occurred due to injuries to senior options though rather than by design.

You’re right about continuity with Broomhead. He’s been given a heap of opportunities but never a 10-12 match stretch I’d think. I’d like to see him have a big preseason to see if he can get that.

I’m still not sure he’s played in his best position at AFL level but there’s a queue for the middle.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was a fan of Keeffe early on. I remember back to a game when all of our key backs were out injured (was it against Sydney in Sydney?) and Keeffe stood up like a man-mountain. Good clubman from what I heard also. After the suspension, he never looked like getting back to his best really. Lost a yard it seems and was asked to play forward and if it's one thing he isn't, that's a forward. He was never strong overhead and the backline suited his skill set. I really wanted him to do well and early in 2017, I thought he might do better than Thomas, but it became obvious, even on the track, that his AFL days were over. It was the right call to move him on; nobody was supported more though and I'm proud of the way the Club supported both of these players.

I was a fan of Keeffe early on. I remember back to a game when all of our key backs were out injured (was it against Sydney in Sydney?) and Keeffe stood up like a man-mountain. Good clubman from what I heard also. After the suspension, he never looked like getting back to his best really. Lost a yard it seems and was asked to play forward and if it's one thing he isn't, that's a forward. He was never strong overhead and the backline suited his skill set. I really wanted him to do well and early in 2017, I thought he might do better than Thomas, but it became obvious, even on the track, that his AFL days were over. It was the right call to move him on; nobody was supported more though and I'm proud of the way the Club supported both of these players.
Club could have dumped them both, JT and Keeffe have their careers in their own hands and good luck to them both. Silly mistake but glad the Club took to position they did.

Our backline held up well and would have been worse with Keeffe in it. He was tried as a forward because we lack depth in that area. He got his chance and didn’t deliver. No player in the history of footy has had more support.

The whole idea is that Keeffe is rookie list injury cover and not playing seniors unless needed. Instead we recruited Schade and played him in defence ahead of Keeffe, and Dunn at the time.

No doubting the club did well by keeffe in a player welfare sense, but he got shafted by the clubs shoddy list management. That's all I'm saying

The whole idea is that Keeffe is rookie list injury cover and not playing seniors unless needed. Instead we recruited Schade and played him in defence ahead of Keeffe, and Dunn at the time.

No doubting the club did well by keeffe in a player welfare sense, but he got shafted by the clubs shoddy list management. That's all I'm saying
Right place, wrong time.
Happens all the time.
In life timing is not the main thing - it's the only thing.

1. THE AFL SHOUTER‏ @THEAFLSHOUTER
    Looking at Collins from Fremantle i am told.

@THEAFLSHOUTER is Collingwood going after anyone in the delisted free agency?
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-fremantle-dockers--samuel-collins

takes a lot of marks, know how to tackle

1. THE AFL SHOUTER‏ @THEAFLSHOUTER
    Looking at Collins from Fremantle i am told.

@THEAFLSHOUTER is Collingwood going after anyone in the delisted free agency?
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-fremantle-dockers--samuel-collins

takes a lot of marks, know how to tackle

Be the Right Idea but we hope no one else is Chasing Collins then

Jack Trengove to Port. What the hell is going on at Port?

Half their team will be castaways next year. All the players they've picked up have been shopped around by their clubs for years - I wonder who has taken charge and decided this offseason is the one they pick up a bunch of new blokes?

Mackenzie, Trengove, Watts, Rockliff, Motlop, maybe Lindsay Thomas?

Trengrove to Port. What the hell is going on at Port?

Half their team will be castaways next year. All the players they've picked up have been shopped around by their clubs for years - I wonder who has taken charge and decided this offseason is the one they pick up a bunch of new blokes?

Mackenzie, Trengrove, Watts, Rockliff, Motlop, maybe Lindasy Thomas?

Didn’t they just dellst him?:)

Jack Trengove to Port. What the hell is going on at Port?

Mackenzie, Trengove, Watts, Rockliff, Motlop, maybe Lindsay Thomas?

This is CRAZY Vossy at his best. Similar to the Lions of 2010. Think they're a red hot team and can win a flag on the back of a handful of recruits.

Look forward to them winning the spoon every year from about 2021-2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back