List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should be Knightmare' right hand man. Get rid of of Hine's team.

Our secret weapon is Tradedraft is our negotiator.

Btw no to Motlop, he's the opposite of Greene. S-O-F-T.
The annoying thing is people have called him soft for years, and nothing's changed.
We could do better than Motlop I suppose, Hoskin-Elliott is similar hopefully with a higher scope.

Interesting I quite like the mega trade stuff. Surely us getting Reid as a free agent has nothing to do with this mega deal? A free agent is separate to this.
Dogs would have Cloke and Tippett running around in VFL!
Melbourne and Swans are laughing.
Tigers crying, draft picks don't replace Dusty.
And we end up with two Reids.

1) Reid is relevant to this as Swans need the cap space for Martin hence the discussion around retirements and players being moved on by Swans. I am guessing as to that part as they were not specific why Pies were involved.

2) If Tigers can't match there will be no draft picks. They won't be crying, they will be howling.

Anyone else thinks Toby Greene might be gettable? Just because of his anger issues.
I would more than happily trade our first pick for Hopper/Smith & Greene?
He's their most important player.

Think our first (or future first) would go close to getting Hopper and Smith.

But I can't see GWS trading Greene unless he has a major stuff up between now and the end of the year (gets suspended for 4 weeks in R23 or something) and even then I think they'd be looking for something fairly similar to the Treloar deal.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I hope we trade hard for (generally young) players this year.
2018 first -> Hopper + Smith
Pick 6, 36 + Aish -> Lever + McGovern
S. Reid FA
or something similar would make me very happy.

Possibly slightly unders on the trades and could cause salary issues, but something like this would make our first 22 look pretty strong...

Now we're talking, it could be possible because of Greene's issues, the Giants might not want to invest heavily in a guy who might offer 18 games a year when Kelly and co are on the line. I don't think he'll leave but it's worth having a chat to him.

Our first + steak knives for Greene + Hopper would be nothing short of amazing.

I don't see why Geelong don't play him up forward, where he kicked 44 goals a few years ago and also 38 last year playing as a midfielder. I'd take him for a performance-based salary, something like $350k a year guaranteed plus big bonuses for high goal tallies and such. He has talent to burn, he's just lazy/ Maybe some incentives could get him moving again.
He's a lazy schmuck. If 550k can't get him moving why would $350k?

And the boys would get free meals at his restaurant.

Not really free, delayed. He and Kingy pop over later to pick up on the tab.

Think our first (or future first) would go close to getting Hopper and Smith.

But I can't see GWS trading Greene unless he has a major stuff up between now and the end of the year (gets suspended for 4 weeks in R23 or something) and even then I think they'd be looking for something fairly similar to the Treloar deal.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I hope we trade hard for (generally young) players this year.
2018 first -> Hopper + Smith
Pick 6, 36 + Aish -> Lever + McGovern
S. Reid FA
or something similar would make me very happy.

Possibly slightly unders on the trades and could cause salary issues, but something like this would make our first 22 look pretty strong...
Is this Devon Smith?? We need to stop trading first round picks!

Tom Boyd was always leaving GWS, be it at the end of his first year or the end of his first contract. The money was just a bonus for him.

We aren't going to shift Curnow when he's playing for a team in his home state, with his brother. His is literally the definition of a situation where he'll be happy to take slightly unders to stay where he is. If you think you can budge him from Carlton you're in fantasy land.
1 million dollars per season got Boyd to the Bulldogs and 1.5 million dollars per season got Ablett to leave Geelong. Curnow is no different regardless of where he plays. Yes its a lot of money but if your prepared to play the long game then it can prove to a good investment although its a dangerous game to be playing as it sets the tone for other players within the club.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There hasn't really been a lot of talk around Motlop.

He is a Free Agent, and I reckon Cats would get more out of him via FA compo than by an actual trade.

Perhaps playing alongside Wells and Varcoe for a few years will provide good mentours for him to recapture some of his past form.

I've been pretty critical of his form this year, but we wouldn't have to trade to get him. So it must be considered at the right price.
Yes another player that might be slightly skin folded

Worth Thinking About
We can give them Mayne pay his full salary for the next three years, we get their number 1 pick.
Yep, that is fair to all parties.

Think I would pass on Sam Reid, will turn out to be another Jesse White but not as durable, even when fit Reid is up and down with form, seems to be a real confidence player who when he goes missing really goes missing.
I would kill for Toby Greene and would happily give up our first pick for him, Obviously our first priority is a tall forward and maybe a really good small defender but other than that I am not really too fussed.
Unlike many I really don't think the list lacks all that much, we just use our players in the wrong roles and don't harness our strengths, for some reason we play our fast penetrating running players who can't defend as accountable defenders and our slower but smarter ball users forward of the footy.

It is the balance of the game day team and the players picked that is more the issue than who is on the list.

Motlop would be an upgrade on Phillips and Broomhead so I'd take him. Wouldn't mind him rotating with Sidebottom as a wing/hff.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good luck getting Lever and McGovern for 6 + 36
Agree it would be a bit of a stretch, but otherwise could easily see Lever going to Dogs/Dees for a pick ~10 (if he nominates them) and unless the Eagles decide to do a trade like Gaff -> McGovern, the best they are likely to offer is Pick ~27 (I think Aish +36 is worth more than Pick 27). Freo don't have a 2nd round pick and won't trade their first for him. He is a 3rd tall type who averages ~a goal a game this year (watch him kick a bag vs us this weekend now) and both WA teams have similar size forwards already. He is also nearly 23 with only 23 games experience - while I really like him as a player and think he'd fit in well at the 'Pies, I think the Crows are dreaming if they expect a first round pick for him. Time will tell - I'm no expert.
Anyway, trade period is still a long way off - doesn't hurt to dream!

Really? Oh well, McGovern is the one of theirs who I think would really be good value for us anyway :p
Here's my source

Kelly and Lever will be at the Saints in 2018. I have had confirmation of this today. Thank your Mother for the rabbits. This means that not only Rooey and Joey retire but Gilbo is gone as well. Bookmark this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back