Trade/Free Agency/Draft Rumours and Innuendos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no issue with that trade.

The way FA is structured, we wouldn't get anything for Monfries if we lost him via that, because we got a better player in Goddard.

So the way of thinking of it is:

Lose: Monfries
Win: Goddard, pick 40-50

Then you consider our recent history of picks in that range:

O'Brien, Browne

And I'm fine with it/
Yep.
Said all along that with Joe, with Goddard, all we need is 2-3 other decent kids, and we come out well ahead.
Even if we're upgrading our 4th (about 75-80 the way things are going!) to their 3rd (early 50s); it is possibly the difference between a worthwhile player & not.
Gives us a gun, a gun kid, and 3 live picks in the first 60, sounds like good darts to me.
More about what happens in their next 2-3 years.

I recognise we probably won't go as hard as we normally would because of FA hanging over Gus, but I'd want us to maximise it as best we could. I'd take a 2nd round pick, or exchange our 3rd or 4th round for their 2nd round, at an absolute stretch their 3rd round. I'd hate to lose Gus for a 4th round pick only.

Yes, anything is better than nothing, but by Port not wanting to compromise their FA compensation picks they have opened the door for us to be slightly more aggressive (not Marcus Ashcroft aggressive, we'll still be reasonable).

I'd at least start with a 2nd round pick for Gus and negotiate from there.

Reported today in The Adverstiser that Gus to Port will be via trade, and that we are prepared to do so in return for only a 3rd or 4th round pick.

I almost spat my cereal out over the paper when I read that.

Sure, it's better than losing him to FA for nothing but FFS Dons, try and get something sorta reasonably somewhat close-ish to his worth on the trade table.

The only source I can quote is the paper, so likely call here is "Bullshit", but you never know, this dude may have his sources and they may be accurate (or not)

No, no and no.

That is the whole point of the deal. Port wants something from us and will give something it otherwise doesn't have to give in return.

If it all falls through Monfries can just walk through to the presason draft with a virtual guarantee that Port can pick him up (based on their interest and their low finishing position).

I am also willing to bet that we don't seriously want to retain Monfries because of the salary cap pressure it will will create so we cannot really drive that hard a bargain.

What, replacing 2 or 3 more senior listed guys with our first live pick at about 52?
No thanks.

Daniher, Jacobs, Goddard, 52ish, 70ish, PSD

McVeigh, Slattery, Dyson :)(), Lonergan, Monfries

I'm ok with that. Would happily lose Reimers for Moloney too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back