Recruiting Trade & Free Agency IV - hypotheticals etc. (Continued in Part V)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis and Stringer are similar in size, would Stringer help Francis at all? In terms of reaching potential.
Stringer teamed really will with Crameri in 2015. Very similar size and playing style. It helped that they were both mates and played at Bendigo Bombers.

I reckon Stringer would help Francis.

Stringer is being made to sound like a dip stick but everything you hear about him is that he is a genuine bloke whose wife experienced post natal depression and he adores his two young daughters.

Francis and Stringer are similar in size, would Stringer help Francis at all? In terms of reaching potential.

You'd almost hire someone like Stanton to be Francis's personal trainer during the off season. Stanton had his critics but his work ethic could never be questioned. That's what Francis requires...

Personal issues aside, Stringer is lazy with a terrible work ethic, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Francis.
You could find faults in every possible recruit and never get anybody which is basically what Essendon has done for the last 20 years.

Kelly too expensive and not big bodied enough.

Lever can't play one on one.

Rockliff has an attitude problem.

Miles and Kennedy are 2nd raters that can't get a regular game at their clubs. We don't need any more plug gaps.

Schache is a work in progress that may or may not make the grade.

And you could run through 90% of our list and pour crap on them to.

Then you can take the positive outlook. ...

Stringer is the complete package who can break through packs Dustin Martin style which is exactly what Essendon lacks. If Woosha (who is a great educator) can assist in getting him back on track, we have a potential match winning recruit.

Kelly is a ball magnet with incredible balance and can thread the eye of a needle with his skills.

Etc etc.

You could find faults in every possible recruit and never get anybody which is basically what Essendon has done for the last 20 years.

Kelly too expensive and not big bodied enough.

Lever can't play one on one.

Rockliff has an attitude problem.

Miles and Kennedy are 2nd raters that can't get a regular game at their clubs. We don't need any more plug gaps.

Schache is a work in progress that may or may not make the grade.

And you could run through 90% of our list and pour crap on them to.

Then you can take the positive outlook. ...

Stringer is the complete package who can break through packs Dustin Martin style which is exactly what Essendon lacks. If Woosha (who is a great educator) can assist in getting him back on track, we have a potential match winning recruit.

Kelly is a ball magnet with incredible balance and can thread the eye of a needle with his skills.

Etc etc.
I think Woosha is honestly the kind of coach that Stringer needs, i.e. compassionate with regard to the personal/family issues but will still push him to be the best version of himself (both on and off the field) that he can be. Whereas Bevo strikes me as someone that might have a bit of an abrasive personality and may find it difficult to relate to his players.

Regardless though, it seems as though there are problems at the Dogs that extend well beyond Stringer (there's been a bit of speculation there's a bit of conflict amongst the club hierarchy particularly with Peter Gordon).

As for Kelly, it's easy to see why he's drawn comparisons with players like Judd.

Development and depth, since when has aussie rules been rocket science.
Francis and Begley are good enough now to hold down a regular spot, maybe go the other way and trade the coach for one who will play them.
Develop them in the AFL, they could both hold a bull out to piss and surely have half a footy brain, so where does the problem lie.

Can Stringer be an inside midfielder?

We had the 2nd best forward line this year, I don't think we need to spend more capital to add to that area.
I reckon he can. If he could rotate through the midfield with Begley, Laverde or Langford (whichever ones step up in 2018) we could have the best forward line in the comp and genuine aggressive and strong big bodies in the midfield.

Last edited:
Development and depth, since when has aussie rules been rocket science.
Francis and Begley are good enough now to hold down a regular spot, maybe go the other way and trade the coach for one who will play them.
Develop them in the AFL, they could both hold a bull out to piss and surely have half a footy brain, so where does the problem lie.
Francis has been on the list for two (injury interrupted) years, and hasn't had much opportunity to improve his fitness.
Begley has only been on the list for one year, and looked good when played in the last few games.

Unless you actually plan on being constructive and stop being deliberately obtuse, please shut up.

Also btw you can't trade coaches in the AFL...just in case you weren't aware.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lever>Stringer>Francis ATM

Francis was the most talanted player in his draft class he just had off field issues and lack of fitness and never played in one position. Had he played as a KPD for a whole season i dare say he would be as good as Weitering was. He went forward one game when the game was in the balance and kicked 4 goals for south Australia. Played a few games through the midfield with shit fitness and tore it apart with his burst of strength. Kids been plagued with injuries and hasn't gotten a proper run of footy. Yes he still needs to work on his intensity fitness blah blah but he could very much be a jet which we most definitely would rather have him playing for us not our opposition. Don't know why we are all saying he should be traded kids not even been here for 2 years, where's the faith bomber fans?

Also, for ****sake he isn't homesick he is a boyhood Essendon fan even look it up and if you think that lever=Francis=stringer then I don't even know

No way he is worth 11 now.
I think you would do 2nd rounder this year and next and get another talented kid in. Tom Mitchell was worth 14 and he had no baggage and had a fantastic finals series.

Anyone saying Stringer is not worth pick 11 has lost the plot

Can Stringer be an inside midfielder?

We had the 2nd best forward line this year, I don't think we need to spend more capital to add to that area.

I don't think he will be a permanent midfielder but he showed signs earlier this year that he could spend time regularly in the midfield.

What he would do, however, is free up Fantasia to spend more time through the midfield. Fantasia could effectively relegate Colyer to the VFL.

So I'd argue that he'd improve the team a great deal even if he predominantly plays forward.

I've lost the plot! For me, I would like less risk associated with losing pick 11. Think about why the dogs are keen for him to go (when was the last time we had a coach publicly saying they would trade a contracted player). Buyer beware.

The issues surrounding Stringer are absolutely solveable. However they are clearly best overcome at a different club.
The bombers would be an excellent fit for him. I would back Wosha & the team to face into his issues & work with him to resolve them.
Long term I would back Wosha & co to get the best of out him. Stringers best would more than likely dwarf the output of an unknown pick 11.

The issues surrounding Stringer are absolutely solveable. However they are clearly best overcome at a different club.
The bombers would be an excellent fit for him. I would back Wosha & the team to face into his issues & work with him to resolve them.
Long term I would back Wosha & co to get the best of out him. Stringers best would more than likely dwarf the output of an unknown pick 11.
Paradox much?

We would be doing well to get a player who would eventually match Stringers first half of 2017 form with pick #11 let alone what he has shown in his AA year.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Personal issues aside, Stringer is lazy with a terrible work ethic, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Francis.

Considering Stringer's ex spends a fair bit of time with several girlfriends of Essendon players, I would reckon that the club will have a very deep understanding of Jake's issues maybe more so than any club could hope to have.

I keep hearing that Jake is lazy but is he really lazy or is Bevo the sort of blokey bloke that sees a sensitive type as lazy.

Considering Stringer's ex spends a fair bit of time with several girlfriends of Essendon players, I would reckon that the club will have a very deep understanding of Jake's issues maybe more so than any club could hope to have.

I keep hearing that Jake is lazy but is he really lazy or is Bevo the sort of blokey bloke that sees a sensitive type as lazy.
Exactly, as with any form of occupation or education, etc. not everyone responds the same way in different situations. For example some people may be self motivated, some may need a kick up the arse to get motivated (i.e. Dempsey), and others may just need a little bit of encouragement.

That's not to say Stringer wouldn't need to work harder (because none of us really know whats going on), but he's obviously not the type of person who responds to being blasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back