Recruiting Trade & Free Agency IV - hypotheticals etc. (Continued in Part V)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essendon need a clean out, retirements have helped, but we need to grow some balls.
We need a top end Paddy Ryder type and a Josh Kelly mid. If you're not going to play the likes of Francis + Begley trade for value.
Baggers has been a good servant as has Myers, Bellchambers and Hocking, but when is enough enough, if Essendon don't make some hard decisions soon we will be a middle of the road club for the next ten years.
Stringer, Crameri or Rockliff are not the answer, we are in a position to chase the best, stop ******* around with mediocrity.
Good to go.
However, bellchambers beat most this year.
Francis can be better than hurley.
And so it goes on.
Get the gun player and I'm interested.
Agree, be aggressive...but don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't trade Aaron Francis unless the deal was crazy overs.

I'm personally comfortable giving up pick 11, but wouldn't be comfortable giving up Aaron Francis - I see his career going one of two ways, becoming an AFL gun or a player that never lives up to the hype and never makes it.

Regardless of which one it'll end up being, at his height and talent you just persevere and wait and see

Your not crazy! People are just impatient for Francis to develop key position players take time. Hurley and Hooker took years to develop and Francis is pretty much a Hurley 2.0 he will be fine.

In the words above; Off-field issues, injuries, doesn't meet our immediate needs, teething issues... are you still trying to convince me that getting him is a good idea?

IMHO It is incredibly strange the way it is unfolding from the Bulldogs end, and I am cautious. Don't get me wrong, I can understand and appreciate your points, for me though, Pick 11 is too high.

I'm not sure what is going on his personal life, and if it can be fixed, but I do know this; sometime 'they' be crazy'.
I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I can see both sides. Just commenting on your comment that you want something safer. My point being: when you say safe, that also usually means not as good. People tend to gloss over that part.

IF you don't play em, trade em.
I would have started Francis and Begley round 1 and left them there.
Some people need to get their heads out of theirs arses and have a look at whats really going on, no I didn't stutter, MEDIOCRITY.
What a rabble we would fast become if we started trading out talented kids in their first 2 seasons just because they aren't already regular senior players.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

What a rabble we would fast become if we started trading out talented kids in their first 2 seasons just because they aren't already regular senior players.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk
This! There's a reason they gave him a 2 year extension at the end of last year, and that's because they knew he'd take longer than the mids that we drafted.

Francis was the most talanted player in his draft class he just had off field issues and lack of fitness and never played in one position. Had he played as a KPD for a whole season i dare say he would be as good as Weitering was. He went forward one game when the game was in the balance and kicked 4 goals for south Australia. Played a few games through the midfield with shit fitness and tore it apart with his burst of strength. Kids been plagued with injuries and hasn't gotten a proper run of footy. Yes he still needs to work on his intensity fitness blah blah but he could very much be a jet which we most definitely would rather have him playing for us not our opposition. Don't know why we are all saying he should be traded kids not even been here for 2 years, where's the faith bomber fans?

Also, for ****sake he isn't homesick he is a boyhood Essendon fan even look it up and if you think that lever=Francis=stringer then I don't even know

Who are the best that we should be chasing?

We have played Begley and he shows great potential. Think we would regret trading him big time. In fact it would be absolute stupidity. Francis has had a frustrating run of injuries. Will probably regret trading him to.

TBC put in some awesome games. Myers kept improving had season went on. He was out of the game for almost 3 years. He could improve out of sight next season.

Reckon Rockliff, Stringer and even Crameri (for a lesser price) would add to our list which is already on the up. Obviously Lever, Kelly, Smith would also add class if we could get them.

Agreed, Bellchambers has surprised me this year because had someone said at the start of the season said that he would be the number 1 ruckman for most of the year I would have cringed at it but he has hardly been beaten.

Lever in the backline would be a positive just as Stringer in the forward line would be a positive and Rockcliff & Kelly in the middle would be positives wheres I don't see the point with chasing another ruckman as we do have two good ruckman and a developing ruckman in Draper who is said to be developing nicely.

Crows are demanding two first rounders for Jake Lever.

How do the Dees get it done? Could we somehow get involved and snare a guy like Weidemann as a longer term KPF for pick 11?

Would allow the Demons to use picks 11 & 14 for Lever.

Dunno, just wishful thinking

Two first rounders for Lever ? The world has gone crazy - Yes Lever can intercept and do it well - But can he defend one-on-one ? McGovern is the king of interceptors but is nearly the best on on one defenders in the AFL.

Two first rounders for Lever ? The world has gone crazy - Yes Lever can intercept and do it well - But can he defend one-on-one ? McGovern is the king of interceptors but is nearly the best on on one defenders in the AFL.

Couldn't agree more..

Hopefully one day a club doesn't pay and said player goes into the draft and the holding club misses out altogether.

Would stop any sort of bullshit trade talks altogether imho

I only really watched Lever when we played the Crows and he matched up on Daniher, from memory he wasn't particularly good one on one and the only times he really looked like he was able to compete when was he was pulling some frankly sketchy tricks (among others I saw holding onto Joeys arms, arm-chopping, shoves in the back and tripping).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree more..

Hopefully one day a club doesn't pay and said player goes into the draft and the holding club misses out altogether.

Would stop any sort of bullshit trade talks altogether imho
That's what I was hoping to see last year with O'Meara, as good as he could be with the amount of injury risk he has attached to him there's no way in hell the Hawks should've paid the price they did.

Just a question for those who'd know, what's Weidemann looking like as a player?

Not asking from a 'we should try and get him for a packet of peanuts' standpoint, just curious about the "melb wouldn't trade him for pick 10/two first rounders" type responses. Is that based on him being a generational talent, or more of a sentimental/family history at the club type thing, or both?

Needs to put on more weight - Needs to work up and down the ground more - Drops too many works - My assessment is he's been a bit disappointing so far - In saying that, tall players can step up in their third and fourth year.

Honeychurch is a borderline AFL standard player - His biggest issue is his decision-making and disposal - Too often his mind freezes when he has the ball, as if the pace of the game is to fast - Don't see him adding anything to the team.

Honeychurch is a borderline AFL standard player - His biggest issue is his decision-making and disposal - Too often his mind freezes when he has the ball, as if the pace of the game is to fast - Don't see him adding anything to the team.
Given the issues we've had this year with poor decision making and disposal efficiency especially with the smaller blokes like Colyer and Green, definitely need to steer clear of Honeychurch.

Anyone else interested in Kennedy he'd be a steal for a second rounder. Pretty sure he's an inside mid and obviously won't reach jobes level but could still be a very good player another gws reject not being played in their preffered position, whack em into where they're meant to be and they're a star. This is very hypothetical but he is probably one of the most needed for us as he's a 188cm 20 year old inside mid.

Would love stringer but we have 3 great tall Fwds and feel as if a brute contested ball winner is our number one priority. Miles would also be a great steal. Would love Rockliff he's probably the best player that's obtainable for us but Brisbane may batch his contract offer and we don't have enough bait to give them without losing key players or picks. Don't like his history with coaches either.

Should we get stringer maybe we could play hooker up back and start our forward 6 with stringer daniher stew raz tip and green, with raz and stringer changing with Kennedy and Merrett or zaka?

Again this is quite hypothetical and I haven't really read much of the last 20 pages or so

Should be the number one trade target - Got lots more development and I see similarities with Josh Kennedy.

If he was 6'4 and built like a house he'd have a job for life. At his size he's pushing shit up a hill though

I hate that we have a 'hard to deal with' tag and I'm ready to shed it on day one of the trade period.

Straight swap - pick 11 for Stringer. Just get it done. So worth it considering this draft class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back