Recruiting Trade & Free Agency IV - hypotheticals etc. (Continued in Part V)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like we are in a funny position as a club. In an unfamiliar transitional phase of core mindset.

We have never been a big fish chaser, but we realise the landscape has changed and right now we need to mercilessly chase one...but we cannot look like norf in doing so. No matter what happens we are too proud to beg...we are bigger and better than that.

Part of me thinks we will miss again and Trott out the old cop out, we are a draft and development club..to make us feel better for not picking up. But it won't cut it this time.

We need to go hard and strong....but not so much as to look embarrassingly desperate and needy like norf.

Fine line.
i don't think its that hard though.

Rockliff - you talk to him about his last AFL contract and what does he want to achieve. Make him a Goddard-esque offer and get him in to replace Jobe.
Schache - this one will be behind closed doors anyway. But you chat to them about his availability and our offer (11 perhaps?), plus the opportunity for us to offer that little bit more to Rockliff to net them pick 2.
Lonergan/Saad - role players, but they aren't big fish. If both, one or neither come off, not a big deal.

If our off-season was just Rockliff, i'd be happy.
If it was Rockliff & Schache, i'd be stoked.

We'd have a forward line set for the next 8+ years and a complete midfield.
Plus a better backline with Hooker @ FB.

And, we'd be yet to add Langford, Laverde, Francis & Mutch to that mix.

i don't think its that hard though.

Rockliff - you talk to him about his last AFL contract and what does he want to achieve. Make him a Goddard-esque offer and get him in to replace Jobe.
Schache - this one will be behind closed doors anyway. But you chat to them about his availability and our offer (11 perhaps?), plus the opportunity for us to offer that little bit more to Rockliff to net them pick 2.
Lonergan/Saad - role players, but they aren't big fish. If both, one or neither come off, not a big deal.

If our off-season was just Rockliff, i'd be happy.
If it was Rockliff & Schache, i'd be stoked.

We'd have a forward line set for the next 8+ years and a complete midfield.
Plus a better backline with Hooker @ FB.

And, we'd be yet to add Langford, Laverde, Francis & Mutch to that mix.
Schache's manager publicly squashed those rumours.

Saad is a player that I'd love to target. Future second should get it done.

Rocky, Saad, Stringer, Miles. That's the dream

Ignoring the players we want to trade in, what is your opinion of this trade:

Pick 11 for Pick 23 and 25 from GWS.

It would allow us to look at Mynott, Worpel and another prospect.

Essendon need a clean out, retirements have helped, but we need to grow some balls.
We need a top end Paddy Ryder type and a Josh Kelly mid. If you're not going to play the likes of Francis + Begley trade for value.
Baggers has been a good servant as has Myers, Bellchambers and Hocking, but when is enough enough, if Essendon don't make some hard decisions soon we will be a middle of the road club for the next ten years.
Stringer, Crameri or Rockliff are not the answer, we are in a position to chase the best, stop ****ing around with mediocrity.

Essendon need a clean out, retirements have helped, but we need to grow some balls.
We need a top end Paddy Ryder type and a Josh Kelly mid. If you're not going to play the likes of Francis + Begley trade for value.
Baggers has been a good servant as has Myers, Bellchambers and Hocking, but when is enough enough, if Essendon don't make some hard decisions soon we will be a middle of the road club for the next ten years.
Stringer, Crameri or Rockliff are not the answer, we are in a position to chase the best, stop ******* around with mediocrity.
Who are the best that we should be chasing?

We have played Begley and he shows great potential. Think we would regret trading him big time. In fact it would be absolute stupidity. Francis has had a frustrating run of injuries. Will probably regret trading him to.

TBC put in some awesome games. Myers kept improving as season went on. He was out of the game for almost 3 years. He could improve out of sight next season.

Reckon Rockliff, Stringer and even Crameri (for a lesser price) would add to our list which is already on the up. Obviously Lever, Kelly, Smith would also add class if we could get them.

Stringer, Crameri or Rockliff are not the answer, we are in a position to chase the best, stop ******* around with mediocrity.
Haha... Begley, a first year player, played the last few games including a final. What more do you want with him?

I've got such a love / hate relationship with the trade period. It is possibly the most exciting time of the year. New possibilities, hopes and dreams. But 9/10 those dreams are left crushed after the same old power teams come through and take the guys they want. Sydney, Hawks, Geelong and to a less extent Collingwood. I hate that players can nominate clubs. This should be a free agency thing only. Players should be allowed to nominate state only. Let them state a club preference, sure, but clubs should have a right to get their best deal.

Who are the best that we should be chasing?

We have played Begley and he shows great potential. Think we would regret trading him big time. In fact it would be absolute stupidity. Francis has had a frustrating run of injuries. Will probably regret trading him to.

TBC put in some awesome games. Myers kept improving as season went on. He was out of the game for almost 3 years. He could improve out of sight next season.

Reckon Rockliff, Stringer and even Crameri (for a lesser price) would add to our list which is already on the up. Obviously Lever, Kelly, Smith would also add class if we could get them.
He said Baggers - I assume that's Mark Baguley, not Josh Begley.

Baguley is a solid contributor, but I don't think there is a lot of pressure on his spot in the 22. Likewise with Jobe retiring and a need to reduce reliance on Goddard, we need big-bodied depth (or to bring in a star and make Langford and/or Myers the depth, which is preferable but somewhat unlikely at this point).

Feels like normally we just stand at the bar, putting out the vibes...but making no moves.

Hawthorn and Geelong go straight for the hotties and leave by 11, he who dares!

Norf spend all night buying girls drinks then go home alone after multiple rejections
There is also the strategy of going ugly early....

673599068.jpg

Jon Ralph said after last nights game that Woosha had met with Stringer recently. Yes Ralph is a moron, but if the source is good then it at least shows that we are pretty keen on bringing him in. Also said that Cooney had reached out to Stringer telling him to move on from the Dogs and do what is best for him, maybe he talked about the club too. I'm not overly keen on chasing Stringer, but if we can get him for a good price and make him push through the middle more then I wouldn't be completely against it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry but what a bullshit suggestion.

I've lost the plot! For me, I would like less risk associated with losing pick 11. Think about why the dogs are keen for him to go (when was the last time we had a coach publicly saying they would trade a contracted player). Buyer beware.

The kid is 23 already a AA with a shallow draft why wouldn't you. Some players have teething issues not everyone can be like Zerrett. The bloke has just gone thru a break up with his missus which he has to kids. Have some faith you have to remember he also came back to footy from a broken leg so he has the mindset to change.

I've lost the plot! For me, I would like less risk associated with losing pick 11. Think about why the dogs are keen for him to go (when was the last time we had a coach publicly saying they would trade a contracted player). Buyer beware.
Would you rather someone around the mark of Melksham?

I certainly don't want a Stringer type (as in footballing type) with pick 11 as far as our needs go. But if he's available for pick 11, I don't see how we say no. Very hard pressed to find a player of his talent with 11.

I've got such a love / hate relationship with the trade period. It is possibly the most exciting time of the year. New possibilities, hopes and dreams. But 9/10 those dreams are left crushed after the same old power teams come through and take the guys they want. Sydney, Hawks, Geelong and to a less extent Collingwood. I hate that players can nominate clubs. This should be a free agency thing only. Players should be allowed to nominate state only. Let them state a club preference, sure, but clubs should have a right to get their best deal.

I wouldn't go that far but it should be top 4 sides are not allowed to sign category 1-2 free agents. Something along those lines.

Trade Francis and Begley already??WTF? What kind of strategy is that. As for TBC he beat some of the best ruckmen this, more than held his own against Ryder.

Trade Francis and Begley already??WTF? What kind of strategy is that. As for TBC he beat some of the best ruckmen this, more than held his own against Ryder.
IF you don't play em, trade em.
I would have started Francis and Begley round 1 and left them there.
Some people need to get their heads out of theirs arses and have a look at whats really going on, no I didn't stutter, MEDIOCRITY.

I certainly don't want a Stringer type (as in footballing type) with pick 11 as far as our needs go. But if he's available for pick 11, I don't see how we say no. Very hard pressed to find a player of his talent with 11.
Stringer was #5 in 2012 draft, has great ability but big question marks. Francis #6 in 2015 draft. Both are very similar height and weight. Both have question marks against their names for similar reasons (work ethic). Both have had injury problems. Stringer has shown more in actual games. Francis has done some amazing things such as goal from the boundary.

A guy on here was saying Francis is home sick and a bit depressed. He has no mates in Melbourne but has some in Adelaide.

Francis to Adelaide, Lever to Bulldogs, Stringer to Essendon.

Some people need to get their heads out of theirs arses and have a look at whats really going on, no I didn't stutter, MEDIOCRITY.

Even if they're not ready to play?

There's a couple of words that seem to be missing from your vocabulary, I'll give you a hint they are DEVELOPMENT and DEPTH. If guys aren't quite ready you you don't play them, would've thought that would be common sense but obviously not.

Errr? Do you know someone named Cale Hooker? Took him a couple years of development, was even on trade table twice, how lucky are we to have kept.

Players mature at different ages. Judge Francis after next year, the onus of responsibility has been placed on the kid to man up, if he's competitive enough, he'll attack that challenge.

The kid is 23 already a AA with a shallow draft why wouldn't you. Some players have teething issues not everyone can be like Zerrett. The bloke has just gone thru a break up with his missus which he has to kids. Have some faith you have to remember he also came back to footy from a broken leg so he has the mindset to change.

In the words above; Off-field issues, injuries, doesn't meet our immediate needs, teething issues... are you still trying to convince me that getting him is a good idea?

IMHO It is incredibly strange the way it is unfolding from the Bulldogs end, and I am cautious. Don't get me wrong, I can understand and appreciate your points, for me though, Pick 11 is too high.

I'm not sure what is going on his personal life, and if it can be fixed, but I do know this; sometime 'they' be crazy'.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't trade Aaron Francis unless the deal was crazy overs.

I'm personally comfortable giving up pick 11, but wouldn't be comfortable giving up Aaron Francis - I see his career going one of two ways, becoming an AFL gun or a player that never lives up to the hype and never makes it.

Regardless of which one it'll end up being, at his height and talent you just persevere and wait and see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back