Recruiting Trade & Free Agency IV - hypotheticals etc. (Continued in Part V)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would be doing well to get a player who would eventually match Stringers first half of 2017 form with pick #11 let alone what he has shown in his AA year.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk
Just go back 3 to 5 years and see what you get for a pick in the range of 9, 10 and 11. Stringer is worth pick 11 any day of the week.

I don't want to trade Stringer for 11.
My read is that if Stringer was a lock for midfield, then Essendon would've coughed up 11 by now. We are aiming at pick 28.
Meeting Bevo a while ago, hearing about him from his players, he is a coach that wears his heart on his sleeve and can be quite personable to players. I can't see how he didn't get through unless Stringer wasn't mature and had a sook.

My read is that if Stringer was a lock for midfield, then Essendon would've coughed up 11 by now. We are aiming at pick 28.
Meeting Bevo a while ago, hearing about him from his players, he is a coach that wears his heart on his sleeve and can be quite personable to players. I can't see how he didn't get through unless Stringer wasn't mature and had a sook.
Lol what are you talking about? Stringer hasn't even nominated us yet and trade week is weeks away.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Sure Bevo is known for being personable and caring towards his players but sometimes relationships can break down for reasons only known to the two people involved.

I am sure the club will do its full DD on Stringer and we will just wait and see, for all we know any one of the players whose partners are friends with Jake's ex might phone the club and say nah we have heard this and that or Jackets or Woosha might see other options either in the draft or from some other player than can add value to our list.

One thing I have noticed with this broad is that we don't have a great record of guessing who we finish up drafting ;) (i include myself in that)

It's not even trade week yet, how could we have given up a pick yet?

Just go back 3 to 5 years and see what you get for a pick in the range of 9, 10 and 11. Stringer is worth pick 11 any day of the week.

Or you can go back one year and see that Tom Mitchell garnered less coming off an awesome finals series and with no personal baggage to speak of.

It's looking like it's going to be closer to 30 than 10, you've got a bloke that's clearly got the ability to be close to if not the best at his position in the league but carries serious question marks about attitude and professionalism coming off a bloody average year and his club look to be very motivated sellers.

That's looking a lot closer to Brad Hill (Pick 23), Hibberd (29 and change) or Bennell (16 and 35 with 22 coming back to Freo along with Bennell).

Stringer in 2017 had a crap year based on his standards. But he still managed to be in their best 5 players in rounds 2,4,5 and was judged BOG in round 10.

After round 10 I recall him getting to marking contests late, and generally looking like his mind was in a different space. Given his situation on the personal front, this is completely understandable.

He did his left hamstring in round 17. They brought him back in Round 21 when they were under pressure to make the finals. He started interchange and did his left hamstring again.

Is there a chance that he didn't put the effort into the rehabilitation of the hammy. And they believe he let them down big time. Is the hammy much more serious than first thought?

On the personal front, if what is written is correct, his wife has post natal depression and wants to get away from football all together.

You can imagine him being questioned to help with the kids or spend more time with her and he has to go to training. And then copping "it is either me and the kids or football, which one do you want?"

Logic often goes out the door under these circumstances, eg I play football to earn good $ and I can't earn anything like that elsewhere.

Bottom line is that it may be the pressure on Stringer that's affecting him, not just him being lazy. And if his wife gets the right help and support, Stringer will be so much better off.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it me or we don't need stringer?

Our Backline and Forward seem to be solid. Our complete lack of a midfield just makes them look worse.

No ****ing way is stringer worth pick 11 to us.

We already have enough inconsistent forwards!

We need contented possession mid fielders.

No ******* way is stringer worth pick 11 to us.

We already have enough inconsistent forwards!

We need contented possession mid fielders.
Check out his highlights. 25% of his highlights are in the midfield. He obviously rotates through there with the Bulldogs. Reckon he may take 12 months to get back to his best.

Liberatore is most likely on the market. Swans are looking at him. Do we need him? Who would you suggest we target. Kelly on $1.1 million a year to piss off all of our other players? Or guys that can't get regular games with other teams.

Check out his highlights. 25% of his highlights are in the midfield. He obviously rotates through there with the Bulldogs. Reckon he may take 12 months to get back to his best.

Liberatore is most likely on the market. Swans are looking at him. Do we need him? Who would you suggest we target. Kelly on $1.1 million a year to piss off all of our other players? Or guys that can't get regular games with other teams.

I do not care about where his highlights are. We need players who a grunt players who get the ball out of the contest. He is not that person. We already have enough flashy midfielders. He is also majorly inconsistent.

If I can get Kelly on 1.1 million a year than sold. The kid is going to be top 5 for a very long time.

I also very much disagree that signing a good player to a large contract is going to "piss off" other players. The players know what its all about and with the cap ever increasing 1.1 million is not that crazy anymore.

I do not care about where his highlights are. We need players who a grunt players who get the ball out of the contest. He is not that person. We already have enough flashy midfielders. He is also majorly inconsistent.

If I can get Kelly on 1.1 million a year than sold. The kid is going to be top 5 for a very long time.

I also very much disagree that signing a good player to a large contract is going to "piss off" other players. The players know what its all about and with the cap ever increasing 1.1 million is not that crazy anymore.
Wouldn't exactly call Kelly a grunt midfielder. He looks more like a guy that is fed the ball by others who do provide the grunt.

Wouldn't exactly call Kelly a grunt midfielder. He looks more like a guy that is fed the ball by others who do provide the grunt.

He averages over 11 contested possessions a game (TOP 30) and is generally a gun in every other area.

Whilst being a contested possession player isn't his major statistic he is definitely worth 1.1 mil a season.

Obviously we cant get him since he re signed with GWS but someone who has that contested possession game will be highly valued at our club.

Find it funny how some people don't want Stringer.
It's not that funny.

1. The position he plays is not a key deficiency in the side ATM so it may be better putting our efforts and resources elsewhere.
2. No one is really sure what his issues are and to what extent the club can assist in turning them around

What is funny is the view in the media and among supporters that the club will have failed if we don't manage to trade in anyone high profile this year. We dodged a huge bullet with O'Meara last year and would have probably lost McGrath in that trade but, on the other hand, we did really well with Stewart and Green.

Last edited:
Find it funny how some people don't want Stringer.

We won't get the mid we are after with pick 11 in draft all the good mids will be taken in the top 5 imo.

If it came at the expense of missing out on a pure midfielder (our greatest need) would you still want him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back