List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
worried no one leaves now and no one wants to trade in our late picks. get one good player, a bunch of speculative picks. would totally derail us.
Of they raise the draft age toi 19

Not an overlay when you compare to what likes of
Wingate o meara , saad cerra went for
Bolton has better credentials than every single one of them
None of those players were AA and considered top 20 in the league at any point In Time . Bolton would demand 2 very good pics that’s why he’s being paid >1mn a year . Heck he’ll kick over 30g as a pt forward this year and hasnt even played that well
It’s funny to me that the media and a lot of our fans think Bolton is having a poor season. I admit he had a flat patch of 3-4 games where he looked to be dropping the bundle a bit, getting frustrated etc. But until about round 9-10 most media experts that do a rolling all Australian team had him in the mix. By no means do I think he’s having a stand out season but if we compare him to some other guys that are being pumped up by the media his stats are very much on par with these guys like Dylan Moore, Tom Papley, Kozzi Pickett and even Izak Rankine. All of these guys play a similar role.

It’s funny to me that the media and a lot of our fans think Bolton is having a poor season. I admit he had a flat patch of 3-4 games where he looked to be dropping the bundle a bit, getting frustrated etc. But until about round 9-10 most media experts that do a rolling all Australian team had him in the mix. By no means do I think he’s having a stand out season but if we compare him to some other guys that are being pumped up by the media his stats are very much on par with these guys like Dylan Moore, Tom Papley, Kozzi Pickett and even Izak Rankine. All of these guys play a similar role.
Victim of his own ability.

Agreed.

FWIW, this started with what I thought was a do-able trade (Bolton + Baker + 21 to Fremantle for 9, 13 and 15). In my opinion that is an overpay by Freo, but not ludicrous. It would come down to how much of Bolton's salary we were willing to pay and for how long.

I get what you are saying. But I look at that trade differently.

Freo get premiership experience, leadership and a freaky ability to rip a game apart. Given how competitive they are that may well tip them into genuine contender and a very good chance of winning it all. From that point of view the trade is worth way more than the players are - if that makes sense.

Freo picking up a swag of young guns won't help them win a premiership, in all likelihood. So to some extent their picks will be wasted if they use them.

It will keep their window open longer, which is the other side of the coin. Don't know if they want to go super hard to win with their current squad or want to wait and see if they can jag one with a squad that will be there for approx a decade (if the 2024 draftees come on).

What are they thinking, go hard now, or play the long game?

They won't pay more for Bolton than he is worth. If they are willing to go all in on a flag in the next couple of years they will trade out their draft hand for the very best player(s) they can. It's been well reported they are into Chad Warner. They could target almost ANY contracted player for the price you are suggesting.
They could try to get Warner, sure. They could try to get anyone, sure. But we're talking about them trying to get Shai. Warner would be great but they already have a great midfield. Shai is exactly what they need.

Look at it this way. Say you love your house. It's a great house, you love living there, all your friends like visiting. You've had it valued at $1 million. Along comes a developer. They already own all the neighbouring properties. They just need yours and they can undertake a huge development that projects to make them $50 million. How much is your house worth to them? Are you going to sell it to them for $1 million? When you love it and don't want to move? What offer would it take to change your mind? $2 million? Would they be willing to pay $5 million?

_RT_ you're our resident list management nerd...how does the list spots and draft picks work? Can we leave guys uncontracted and sign them day after round 1 of the draft? Or do they become delisted free agents?

We obviously have all these picks but also have 2 players more than allowed with the MSD.

It's likely Brisbane don't trade until draft night so they don't have to open the list spots so likely falls on us to do it.

I'm here for the raping and pillaging of the purple team. 💜

Nothing better than stealing something from a thief.

They essentially traded Lachie Shultz and pick 32 in last years draft for picks currently sitting at 7 & 10 in the 2024 super draft.

So no need to cry for them, they can afford to overpay. :)

_RT_ you're our resident list management nerd...how does the list spots and draft picks work? Can we leave guys uncontracted and sign them day after round 1 of the draft? Or do they become delisted free agents?

We obviously have all these picks but also have 2 players more than allowed with the MSD.

It's likely Brisbane don't trade until draft night so they don't have to open the list spots so likely falls on us to do it.
Contracts expire October 31st, i.e. before the draft.

So if we have 10 picks + want to keep Blight and Gray we'd need to cull 12? Good luck to the guys managing that. 😬
We're not going to have 10 picks. We'll take five and try to get a stacked hand next year as well.

No, we got a second-rounder after our pick which in effect was an end-of-second because we'd won the flag. I reckon that kind of money for JGTI would generate an end-of-second even if they did their usual level best to screw us. Maybe even a second after our pick, which would be gold and would have Kornes Karening from the rooftops.
Might be wrong but I think GC gotta a PP and pushed everyone back

Might be wrong but I think GC gotta a PP and pushed everyone back
Yeah they got a PP at the start of the draft, which is how they got Rowell and Anderson at 1 and 2, and they got an extra pick at the start of the second round as well (and pick 11 in 2020). Hence our first-rounder was Dow at 21, when we otherwise might have had a shot at De Koning or Georgiades.

Our Ellis compo was after our second-rounder. It got shunted all the way back to pick 44 (Will Martyn).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're not going to have 10 picks. We'll take five and try to get a stacked hand next year as well.
5 after we upgrade. Who is taking the picks to the draft night. There's going to have to be a bit more nuance than "here Brissy have our picks and give us your first.

We will clear a few spots with retirements and FA/trades. Then we leave guys like Prestia, Pickett, tresize, smith hanging until post draft. We can do the same with Blight and Grey since they only signed 6 month contracts

We will clear a few spots with retirements and FA/trades. Then we leave guys like Prestia, Pickett, tresize, smith hanging until post draft. We can do the same with Blight and Grey since they only signed 6 month contracts
Yeah that's what I was getting at. Are we allowed to just leave guys in limbo until the draft, particularly the old guys. Brissy are in contention so no way they'll wanna do that.

5 after we upgrade. Who is taking the picks to the draft night. There's going to have to be a bit more nuance than "here Brissy have our picks and give us your first.
Brisbane only have 15 and 53 at the moment. They're not getting ahead of an Ashcroft bid, so I think their first is gettable prior to draft night. I don't think Carlton's is given Camporeale is unlikely to be bid on beforehand.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. Are we allowed to just leave guys in limbo until the draft, particularly the old guys. Brissy are in contention so no way they'll wanna do that.
Pretty sure we can, just depends if the player agrees to it and won't sign with someone else or enter the rookie draft etc. There's been times when a delsited player is added to a teams list when pre season training starts after being invited as a train-on player e.g markov with the pies. Think they will technically have to be classified as delisting so you'd want to be confident they agree to it other wise clubs might pinch them

AFL Player Lists
Each Club will maintain their AFL Lists during the Terms as follows:
(a) The number of AFL Players on the Club’s AFL Primary List will be not more than 38 and not less than 36;
(b) The number of AFL Players on the Club’s Category A Rookie List will be not more than 6 provided that a Club must not have more than 42 AFL Players on their AFL Primary List and Category A Rookie List at any time; and
(c) The number of AFL Players on the Club’s Category B Rookie List will be not more.

Players are contracted until October 31st. Once a players contract expires they effectively become delisted free agents.

Prior to and during the trade period all our current draft picks are live and can be traded. Once we do our initial list lodgement on October 31st, we can only have as many picks as we have open senior list spots.

So if we have 5 senior list spots open then we can only take 5 picks into the draft and any picks outside that are then forfeited.

According to Draftguru 2024 list the rookies we currently have are:

Coulthard - out of contract 2024
Trezise - out of contract 2024
Lefau - out of contract 2024
Bauer
Campbell - out of contract 2024
Young
Blight - out of contract 2024
Gray - out of contract 2024

Hayes-Brown Cat B
Colina Cat B - out of contract 2024

With Bauer & Young contracted, we can keep no more than 4 of them remaining 6 as rookies next year and if we wanted to keep all 6 we would need to elevate 2 of them to the senior list.

There could be a situation where we could delist a few players with the understanding that we may redraft them to give ourselves maximum flexibility heading into the draft.

Pretty sure we can, just depends if the player agrees to it and won't sign with someone else or enter the rookie draft etc. There's been times when a delsited player is added to a teams list when pre season training starts after being invited as a train-on player markov with the pies. Think they will technically have to be classified as delisting so you'd want to confident they agree to it other wise clubs might pinch them
Yeah so looking at guys like Pickett, Prestia, K Mac etc that we may keep depending on how many are traded out. If someone pinches them then meh.

There was changes to the rookie list for this off season as well, where players can now stay on it for up to 5 years provided they have played less than a certain amount of senior afl games

Did you watch gettable? Toomey sneakily mentions Rioli on the sly

Reckon he knows more than he’s letting up

Suns gonna go hard for him no doubt and I reckon he goes.
8 and 20 the minimum we should be asking cos they want him so badly and heavily contracted
7 & 8 or get stuffed.
They'll do it.
Or
Luc too crows for 4
1 & Rioli too suns.
4/7/8>>>Rich.

Yeah so looking at guys like Pickett, Prestia, K Mac etc that we may keep depending on how many are traded out. If someone pinches them then meh.
Yeh pretty much, Dow and Cumberland as well if they aren't outright delisted. Maybe Green, Coulthard and Tresize as well if we talk them through the process and need the extra space, plus the MSD guys in Blight and Grey. Lots of ways to make it work if need be

Brisbane only have 15 and 53 at the moment. They're not getting ahead of an Ashcroft bid, so I think their first is gettable prior to draft night. I don't think Carlton's is given Camporeale is unlikely to be bid on beforehand.

It's going to be interesting, Twomey has Ashcroft at pick 1 that's 3,000 points. (Is there a discount still on F/S?) Either way pick 15 & 53 is only about 1,350 points. I wouldnt mind getting our hands on their 1st round pick but not at the expense of all our late picks. (pick 34 & onwards is about 1,800 points) Lions might have to come up with a Future 2nd rounder as well and still not sure.

Just would be annoyed if we gave up the majority of our late picks for a mid-teen pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back