List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to lose Shai. Bird in the hand. The whole team is struggling not just him. Everyone overrates draft picks.
so whats the solution? we just hold tight everyone?
the draft is the only way to steer the ship out off the darkness we are in and will be for years to come
our midfield is trash, we have to invest in quality young midfielders and the sooner the better
got to be brave and make big moves ..

the draft is the only way to steer the ship out off the darkness we are in and will be for years to come
No it's not.

We'll have a great draft hand this year. At least a second first-round pick, and if we don't get a third we'll get a second second-rounder as well. And that's before we lose anyone.

We're going to have cap space in coming years to pay free agents and other players from other clubs (Cadman, anyone?). We want to be attractive to them. We don't want to be Norf. No one wants to play for Norf.

You keep your champions. Bolton and Rioli (and Baker if we can) stay. Trade Short for a pick that we can bundle to move up the order.

No it's not.

We'll have a great draft hand this year. At least a second first-round pick, and if we don't get a third we'll get a second second-rounder as well.

We're going to have cap space in coming years to pay free agents and other players from other clubs (Cadman, anyone?). We want to be attractive to them. We don't want to be Norf. No one wants to play for Norf.
up until the time Norf run past us next year and give us wind burn
they have invested in the draft - yes because there crap
but there stable of quality youth, will hold them in good stead for years to come
as for having a great draft hand .. it can always be better by trading Shai

Disagree with that. Shai might not be a leader, but much like Dusty - he is a match winner.

Question the leadership of both Baker & Rioli if they are entertaining other offers while we are trying to develop a young core. Terrible example to the kids IMO, & likely doing nothing for their confidence. The longer those 2 allow the the courting to go on, the less i care if they stay, especially with other pieces starting to appear available elsewhere.

The lack of leadership at the club is a huge issue. But we also need to make sure that our own lack of leadership doesn't start making us overrate those qualities in guys who really are not what we need. I thought Baker was a genuine chance to be Captain, but the situation with him heading back to Perth has gotten pretty out of hand really. He has purchased a property and talking to the WA clubs in the Bye round - thats pretty shit really.
Not sure its fair to be attacking the leadership of Baker and Rioli. They've been two of a very small group of players that have been trying their guts out all year.

By the sounds of things, Rioli doesn't want to go and we don't want to lose him. I think it's a mix of GC enquiring and the media/fans pushing that one.

On Baker, I think he's genuinely torn on whether to go home or stay on as our next skipper. It's not like he's checked out and isn't turning up each week.

but there stable of quality youth, will hold them in good stead for years to come
You'd improve the draft hand at the expense of the list. We won't get anyone near as good as Shai with the picks we'd get for him. There's simply no one in this draft with his ability.

Norf have a talented young midfield and plenty of holes. And they're Norf. But yeah, if you want to watch them fly past us by all means trade our most talented post-Dusty player so we can draft a couple of B-grade children. Why not trade all our good players so we suck for the next six years. That way we can really pillage the draft.

He's our leading goal kicker. 20.15 for the season. Next best is Lefau with 14.
Shai is contracted so he won’t be going anywhere unless both parties want it to happen. Like most supporters I love watching him play and he gets people through the gates for sure. But if he really wants to go and isn’t invested in the future and the hard yards to come, we have to get the best deal we can.

I don't want to lose Shai. Bird in the hand. The whole team is struggling not just him. Everyone overrates draft picks.
If he goes we will get overs for him. He's contracted for 5 years. We aren't under any salary cap pressure. We hold all the aces in this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it's not.

We'll have a great draft hand this year. At least a second first-round pick, and if we don't get a third we'll get a second second-rounder as well. And that's before we lose anyone.

You keep your champions. Bolton and Rioli (and Baker
if we can) stay. Trade Short for a pick that we can bundle to move up the order.
Well they are 4 players on our list sitting at 17th heading to 18th.

2 of them are vice captains. 2 from WA, 1 out of contract. 2 of them in form 2 not. We potentially lose Baker anyhow. We wont match offers. If the club feel this draft is worth it, then facilitate the Bolton trade.

What club is Short going to?

Dusty is rooted, Graham & Kmac keep getting selected.

Gunna be massive retirements over the next 2 years anyhow but we still have

Nank
Broad
Balta
Hopper
Taranto

Pickett,
Kmac

Well they are 4 players on our list sitting at 17th heading to 18th.

2 of them are vice captains. 2 from WA, 1 out of contract. 2 of them in form 2 not. We potentially lose Baker anyhow. We wont match offers. If the club feel this draft is worth it, then facilitate the Bolton trade.

What club is Short going to?

Dusty is rooted, Graham & Kmac keep getting selected.

Gunna be massive retirements over the next 2 years anyhow but we still have

Nank
Broad
Balta
Hopper
Taranto

Pickett,
Kmac
We don't need to match any Bolton offer given he has four years to run on his contract. To make it worth it we would need all three of Freo's first-rounders, and one of them would need to be top-6. Even then you'd be getting three inferior players for a match-winner.

Short can go anywhere, IDGAF, just get his contract off the books.

Baker is largely out of our hands. So is Short to a degree in that he has to agree to a move, which Blair should be encouraging him to do.

I don't believe it.
I actually just read the article and it's even dumber. A team aspiring to play finals is going to bring in Dusty as a part time player playing home games only

Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO

Dunno why you are assuming north with improve next year
They have been completely shithouse for the best part of 10 years all the while investing and doubling down in the fabled draft yet they have absolutely nothing to show for it

I actually just read the article and it's even dumber. A team aspiring to play finals is going to bring in Dusty as a part time player playing home games only

Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO
Unpopular opinion, but based on this season, he wouldnt get a game.

I was going to say the same but then end of season when I'm demanding pick 2 compo I'll look like even more of a dumb campaigner ☹️
Hey I gotchu, happy to play the dumb campaigner ;)

Dunno why you are assuming north with improve next year
They have been completely shithouse for the best part of 10 years all the while investing and doubling down in the fabled draft yet they have absolutely nothing to show for it
Not really. They only really bottomed out 2020. They tried to hang on for a few years 2017-19 after finals in 2016. Bit like us last few years.

Couldn't have picked a worse time to bottom out with Covid limiting junior footy. 2020 was a terrible draft and 2021 their pick 1 bailed home. They've had 2 good drafts now and looking like it's starting to click. They'll get another top pick this year too.

Who are our Wardlaw, Sheezel, McKercher etc and to lesser extent LDU (given he's older)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back