List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually just read the article and it's even dumber. A team aspiring to play finals is going to bring in Dusty as a part time player playing home games only

Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO
He said dusty won't travel
So np games in Darwin
And no finals in Melbourne
Great plan 🐂 ox

Except ours according to you 🤔
But why gut the list for the sake of a speculative draft pick who may end up being a dud who never kicks on.

I think many on this board have become obsessed with draft picks and are letting that obsession rule their heads.

Gutting the list to fill the list with kids who may or may not kick on is the definition of bat shit crazy. You need to have experience around them.

But why gut the list for the sake of a speculative draft pick who may end up being a dud who never kicks on.

I think many on this board have become obsessed with draft picks and are letting that obsession rule their heads.

Gutting the list to fill the list with kids who may or may not kick on is the definition of bat shit crazy. You need to have experience around them.
100% it’s all about balance

I think a few are falling into that trap that picks are more valuable than actual players

The side we put out vs CFC was Ross, Gibcus Lynch short of our best 22. 61pt loss.
And Lefau and MoJu. And Prestia and Grimes, admittedly they're on their last legs. And Dusty couldn't walk. And Hopper was first-up. And Taranto's had no continuity. And Blight was on debut. And Clarke and Bauer would arguably be best 22 by now if not for injury.

We're depleted.

I think Baker & Graham will leave.
We have no choice with these. Bakes should net us a top-15 pick, JGTI hopefully adds to our points to trade into another first-rounder.

As much as I love Bakes, I can live with him leaving. He'll be 27 next year and I don't think he'll last much past 30. Rioli, despite all the angst over the limp he's had for seven years, I can see playing until he's 34-35.

And Lefau and MoJu. And Prestia and Grimes, admittedly they're on their last legs. And Dusty couldn't walk. And Hopper was first-up. And Taranto's had no continuity. And Blight was on debut. And Clarke and Bauer would arguably be best 22 by now if not for injury.

We're depleted.
Our midfield consists of Taranto, Hopper and daylight.

If we want to win flags those two should be our third and fourth best mids.

Hawks team looked like hot garbage when 0-5 at start of 2024, didn’t it?

They’ve won 7 of 8 without much help from pointy end draft picks, so they are not the be all and end all.

They are now thriving in the back of great coaching and 2-years of playing Mitchell’s system.

Just look at their team from the weekend … a big load of traded players, late draft picks and very few top end picks…. At the start of the year they looked like their future was in real trouble relying on the likes of : Chol, D’Ambrosio, Gunston, Meek, Frost, Impey, Amon, Nash etc….

And who are their elite midfielders taken with top-10 draft picks? Ward? (He’s playing VFL). Worpel, Newcombe, Day, Nash… not a top-10 pick to be seen. Worpel, Newcombe and Nash were acquired for a bag of crisps.

We will get 2-3 elite players and probably another 2-3 very good players in the next couple of drafts via ‘natural selection’ and players exiting of their own free will. We don’t need to ‘go nuclear’ to rebuild.

North have been rebuilding since 2017 (they got LDU pick 4 that draft). And in 2024 they remain terrible. I agree they finally look to be improving, but who knows how much in the next 5-years? You cannot possibly not improve when you acquire about 10 x top-5 draft picks over 8-years plus get AFL charity galore.

North went nuclear end of 2016 and look at how long they’ve taken to get to a point where even just being competitive is being celebrated … they are 1-14 FFS 8-years into their rebuild and we are using them as a ‘poster boy’ for what we should do… FMD.

No thanks.

Let’s take all our picks to the draft across 2024-25. Get a few more picks for players who leave of their own accord (Baker, Graham, Dusty?). Retire off some ageing champs even if they want to go on : at least three of Pickett, Prestia, Grimes, Macca. Get our salary cap into a position to launch at a free agent or two around 2026-27.

That’s what we will be doing. And it’s what we should be doing. We will not be proactively trading out any quality, contracted players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So much sense spoken here mate. Well done haha. I’m not the greatest advocate for Chol and he was coping it from everywhere early days this season but Sam Mitchell clearly knew what he was getting and knew he could make it work. Same with some other players on their list. Once you get the buy in from the whole list and you start winning a few and gain confidence the wheel can turn pretty quick. This is the approach I have to take with the signing of Samson Ryan for another 3 years because I just don’t see what the club sees. Just got to trust that Yze knows how to make it work for him. The one thing I like about Samson is that he’s a good finisher in front of goal which is a really underrated stat. It’s not spoken about enough but it’s quite literally the difference between a player being a 40 goal per season operator to a goal a game player.

It's not gutting the list though. If we do zero trades we likely have 7 older heads (after retirements) and think it was 11 guys 25-28. We then have 15 in the 22-26 bracket who haven't played much footy but are ready to go.

This is far from a Norf list profile.

If we keep every body we are going to need to nail every pick to get the A graders we need in prior to Tassie coming in.

I'm not saying trade everyone but we should be looking to move on 2 or 3 that want out. Would still leave us 15 players who are 25+ and a lot of experience. It's heaps.

We've rolled over too long. Gold Coast traded pick 2 for Weller years ago. Give us everything and more that we're asking else rioli stays a tiger. Rioli is twice the player Weller is. Simple as that.
If GC want Rioli they will pay the 2 x 1st rounders (2 in the 1st round not #20)
Picks mean nothing to GC this year and next year their time is 2025 - 2030) and Dimma wants to load up
he said 80% of his team are already in the room then added 4 academy kids and will add Lombard this year and another 2-3 next year.

Picks this year are not valuable to GC but Rioli is exactly what they need
I love dan Rioli almost as much as Dusty but offer like this you just cannot pass up with where our list is at

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If GC want Rioli they will pay the 2 x 1st rounders (2 in the 1st round not #20)
Picks mean nothing to GC this year and next year their time is 2025 - 2030) and Dimma wants to load up
he said 80% of his team are already in the room then added 4 academy kids and will add Lombard this year and another 2-3 next year.

Picks this year are not valuable to GC but Rioli is exactly what they need
I love dan Rioli almost as much as Dusty but offer like this you just cannot pass up with where our list is at
But what happens if the AFL change the academy/FS rules, will the picks still mean nothing to GC.

And we are still rebuilding when Tassie come in. Will be hilarious.
Comedy gold indeed - especially with the chorus of "we shoulda traded them and let them leave and got more picks when we had the chance" from many of the same campaigners that will no doubt accompany it.......... :$

We need to rebuild the midfield
If it means trading, rioli, Baker, Bolton
To get us another elite mid so be it , untill we bat deep in the midfield keep expecting the same results like last weekend
Like another poster said Hopper, taranto then daylight. Having said that I don't think we'll trade any of them unless they want to leave.

It's going to be so funny when no one leaves at the end of the season unless delisted or retire.
I doubt that very much , in any case I’d be quite concerned if we didn’t completely overhaul the list
This is the bleakest we’ve been since 1987 thankfully it’s a little easier to secure talent than it was back then

I doubt that very much , in any case I’d be quite concerned if we didn’t completely overhaul the list
This is the bleakest we’ve been since 1987 thankfully it’s a little easier to secure talent than it was back then
Assuming Toce knows what he's doing 😬

The early evidence suggests he could find a diamond in a pig pen full of shit. 🤫

Twomey mentioned on Gettable that he thinks JGTI may stay at Richmond.

I'm not against holding onto him if we let some of the other more valuable senior players go, given he probably doesn't net us much in terms of a compo pick.
We will get pick #1 again with his kicking as long as he doesn't get Louie'd too much. 🤪

Agreed as long as its a 1 year deal. Bet he gets a 4 year.

We will get pick #1 again with his kicking as long as he doesn't get Louie'd too much. 🤪

Agreed as long as its a 1 year deal. Bet he gets a 4 year.
I'd be comfortable keeping him for another three, but only if we lose other senior players.

Otherwise he should be nudged out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back